• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 - Georgia CDL driving test?

Makincold

Ok, so I have read a LOT of CDL / 5-ton post and am pretty sure I'm headed down the "I'm getting a CDL" path... (with a non commercial farm Class A as a close second...)
but my question is, after passing the written test, can I take my 1970's vintage M818 road tractor down to the DMV for the driving part of my exam? Does it have everything I need to take the test? Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Will they even give me the test in it?
Anybody taken the test in an M818?
Another advice or thoughts along these lines would be welcomed also
Thanks!

91W350

When I tested, we had to have a trailer. The examiner went for a short ride, then asked me to back the trailer into a driveway. Do not get caught at the examiner's office with a tractor trailer and no CDL driver to get you there. Everything seemed to easy to be legal, to be honest. Glen

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ok, so I have read a LOT of CDL / 5-ton post and am pretty sure I'm headed down the "I'm getting a CDL" path... (with a non commercial farm Class A as a close second...)
but my question is, after passing the written test, can I take my 1970's vintage M818 road tractor down to the DMV for the driving part of my exam? Does it have everything I need to take the test? Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Will they even give me the test in it?
Anybody taken the test in an M818?
Another advice or thoughts along these lines would be welcomed also
Thanks!
Without a trailer you won't get a class "A" CDL in Georgia...commercial (don't know about farm).

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
are you going to be using the truck in a commercial venture or are you just using the truck for personal use? if personal use you need to get a class A non cdl license. There is no farm license in GA. A farmer can use trucks over 26k without a special license at all as long as he is within 150 miles of the farm.

You will never pass the test with the mil 5ton. If your going the CDL route best to rent a newer truck and trailer.

Makincold

Thanks
All I want to do is drive my toy! No commercial hauling. Just enjoy my new hobby. But if I want to go to Haspin or Florida more than 150 miles I don't want major hassles

Last edited:

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a class A, non-commercial license, no endorsements.. Just need a written and some experience. The written test was mostly on operating a school bus (which is not authorized with this license). Small DL offices may not be up on this license (my first couple of tries where met with stiff resistance).

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Licensing Requirements​
To obtain a non-commercial Class A or B License, the applicant:​
♦
Must be at least 18 years of age.

♦
Must possess a Class C License.

♦
Must pass any Knowledge Exams which would normally
be required of applicants for a Commercial Driver’s License
for the type of vehicle driven. Refer to the CDL
Driver’s Manual for specific information to study for the
Knowledge Exam.

♦
Must complete a Driving Affidavit (DS-36) attesting that
a minimum of 3 months or 3,000 miles of driving experience
has been completed in a vehicle which represents
the license class. An instructional permit may be issued
for a 12 month period if this cannot be provided.
There
is not a Road Test Requirement.

♦
Must pass a Vision Exam. The minimum acceptable
vision is 20/60 in one eye, with or without corrective
lenses, and a field of vision of at least 140 degrees.

♦
Must pay the appropriate license fee. The 5 year license
is $20 and the 10 year license is $35. Individuals with a
Distinctive License (Veteran’s, National Guard, or Honorary
License) are exempt from paying the license fee. For
more information on distinctive licenses, please visit

Department of Driver Services.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Licensing Requirements
To obtain a non-commercial Class A or B License, the applicant:

♦
Must be at least 18 years of age.
♦

Must possess a Class C License.
♦

Must pass any Knowledge Exams which would normally
be required of applicants for a Commercial Driver’s License
for the type of vehicle driven. Refer to the CDL
Driver’s Manual for specific information to study for the
Knowledge Exam.
♦

Must complete a Driving Affidavit (DS-36) attesting that
a minimum of 3 months or 3,000 miles of driving experience
has been completed in a vehicle which represents
the license class. An instructional permit may be issued
for a 12 month period if this cannot be provided.

There
is not a Road Test Requirement.
♦

Must pass a Vision Exam. The minimum acceptable
vision is 20/60 in one eye, with or without corrective
lenses, and a field of vision of at least 140 degrees.
♦

Must pay the appropriate license fee. The 5 year license
is $20 and the 10 year license is $35. Individuals with a
Distinctive License (Veteran’s, National Guard, or Honorary
License) are exempt from paying the license fee. For
more information on distinctive licenses, please visit
Department of Driver Services.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going to get a license, get a good one while you are at it. You will be happy about it, later down the road. Get the endorsements, and your covered, and you can respond in emergencies. The "Has/Mat" (paper test) takes an FBI background check. Then your a good Guy!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck is out of the norm. Most likely will not pass the inspection part of the test. The strange hydraulic/ Air brakes lack of reflectors etc etc. . I have found when dealing with bureaucrats its best to stick with what they are use to. I'm not saying it can't be done but it would be alot easier to pass with a "normal" truck and trailer that is already DOT ready.

These are my opinions and could be considered worthless. :-o

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most inspectors wouldn't know what they were looking at- so they would turn it away. Also, you wouldn't get the air brake endorsement on your CDL if you used the m818.

roscoe

The testing site here had a truck and trailer combo you could use for a fee (150.00) Also you could do a test run through with the inspector for I think 100.00. That was worth it as he tells you everything you need to do to pass. There truck was an automatic so it was much easier to back through the s course without stopping. Make sure you know the inspection process for your truck. And as mentioned truck has to have airbrakes to get class A. Overall its not that difficult to do just a lot of details.

TadB

I live in Jasper county. I had a 818. I registered it at the tag office as an antique jeep. All I had to do was show them a copy of the invoice and have a deputy verify the serial number. No CDL needed. I only used mine for recoveries and pulling trailers very short distances. I dont know if you plan on pulling a trialer or not. If not its no prob to register it here. They have been through it at the tag office. I cant remember the name of the insurance company but its the one right across from the post office, they insured it for something like $36.00 a month and the tag was a little over $20.00 for the year.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read the reg for Ga. to get non-commercial class A, B it is not called that it is called a class E,F . So if you are only looking to drive a military truck that needs a higher rateing due to weight or pulling a trailer and not useing it for a Commercial type thing just ask to get a cass E,F. the number for this reg. is 375-3-1-26 effective date 9/13/2010
AEC Retired Tony

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't need a drivers License to tag a truck, so if you have a class C and you are using it you can get a ticket for not haveing the correct license.

davidkroberts

I owned a truck driving school in tennessee for 5 years before going back into the military for a few iraq and afganistan tours. I havent read much if anything thats accurate yet. As to the differences in CDL requirements between the states they arent as different as you might think. A few states have strange requirements

• First of all the limit for a CDL requirement is 26000 lbs a M818 is around 19000 lbs so you CAN drive it without a CDL. A regular class C is fine if you have no plan of EVER hauling a trailer of any kind. Only California is different about this and that has to do with number of axles not the weight
  • You are going to need a trailer to get you Class A, Without it you can get a Class B which might be the course you need to take anyway. Are you planning on towing something over 10,000 GVWR
  • You CAN get the airbrake endorsement in Tenn with air over Hydraulic Brakes, they are considered air-brakes

Attachments

Capt.Marion

• First of all the limit for a CDL requirement is 26000 lbs a M818 is around 19000 lbs so you CAN drive it without a CDL. A regular class C is fine if you have no plan of EVER hauling a trailer of any kind. Only California is different about this and that has to do with number of axles not the weight
WHOA!! The M818 weighs 19k, but it's GVWR (which is what the CDL requirement is based off of in the state of Georgia) is in the neighborhood of 30k.

Commercial vehicles are defined as having a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more.

From the Georgia CDL Driver's Manual:

You must have a CDL to operate:
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating
(GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
A combination vehicle with a gross combination weight
rating of 26,001 or more pounds, If the trailer(s) has a
GVWR of 10,001 or more pounds.
A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers
(including the driver).
Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials
placards or is carrying material listed as a select agent
or toxin in 42 CFR 73. Federal regulations through the
Department of Homeland Security require a
background check and fingerprinting for the
Hazardous Materials endorsement. The background
check can take up to six weeks. Contact the
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at
www.hazprints.com or your local department of driver
licensing for more information.
EDIT: The above manual (HIGHLY recommended reading for anyone driving big MVs in general) is here

Last edited:

davidkroberts

crap your right i went back and re-read the requirement it is figured on GVWR not the curb weight.

Still think your going to be better off with a Class B than a Class A if you dont have any intention of towing anything signifigant

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks