• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818's home from Stout Field!!!

Hello,
The trucks are finally back on our turf in Minnesota. We ended up leaving after work on Thursday to drive to Indianapolis from Southern, MN. We drove through some interesting weather to say the least. It was 22 degrees outside through Iowa and Illinois and it was raining. Needless to say there was about 30 semi's in the ditch and most likely 50-60 cars ditched along the way. We ended up getting into Indy around 3:10AM ET. We woke up the next morning around 7:00AM and had breakfast and went over to Stout Fieldl.

We found our M818's in the lot and my dad's fired up without assistance from a jump. My batteries were dead and luckily another gentleman from St. Louis that was picking up a M35 and a M818 had slave cables. We jumped mine with no problems and we called the truck driver to meet us at the base as we were ready to load. The gentleman that jumped us with his deuce couldn't get his M818 to start even with slave cables. I ended up towing him out of the muddy parking lot and pull started him on the pavement. He turned his injection pump on manual mode and it started right up.

We prepared for truck problems as we brought batteries from our M812 and about 500lbs worth of tools, etc. We were lucky as we didn't have to use them! We drove straight back and we ended up getting back in town around 10:30PM last night. We unloaded the trucks and drove them over to our workshop which is about 8 miles away from the loading dock. Both trucks run excellent and everything seems to be in working order. Our prayers were answered with a safe trip and no mechanical problems with the trucks.

The M911's that somebody else bought were being loaded as we loaded our truck. These trucks were in pretty rough looking shape. Maybe it's because they didn't have the duals but the M911 in person didn't seem as big as I thought they would up close. I was expecting more of a Hayes or Pacific medium size off the road logging truck. The wheelbase is long but as you can see on the height vs. the W900 even with the trailer and the width they are big but not HUGE. I'd still like to own one though!

I'm now in the search for a good slave cable!

Enjoy the pictures!
Andy

Attachments

bbbang

M818's going home from Stout Field

I was there picking up my M105a2 trailer. They were both great looking M818's. Enjoy. They had several 100 trucks and trailers in the lot. Several good looking dump trucks also. One 900 series dump truck painted sand that was outstanding. I took a bunch of pictures of the lot and will post the same here over the weekend. Chris

thanks

Yes we ended up getting two of these units. Looking back I wish I bid on more of them. At first I thought they might have just been a Richie Brothers/aerosol overhaul but I was wrong!

BBBang- Were you the one with the brand new bright red Chevy Duramax picking up the trailer as I noticed it had MO plates? If so thats a great looking truck and the trailer looked like new!

We were in the tan explorer that looked like a baja truck due to the back end squat.

Andy

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: thanks

Congrats on making it home safe Andy. Those were some beautiful trucks!

Chris BBBang, please PM me any photos of that 929 Tan dump truck if you have any. Thanks.

groundog

:) how did you get the front of the m-818 up on to the front deck of the trailer/ did GL offer any assistance on loading? thanks

Groundog- We ended up using a small ramp that the truck driver had as he hauls alot of machinery. We brought some larger oak timbers just incase we needed to make a ramp to get the front end of the truck on the top of the trailer. Next time we would just use a regular flatbed.

Bbbang- That trailer is in great shape. Nice find. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have the M52s dried up? I see one every now-and-then. Plenty of 818s showing up lately though. I think I want a multi-fuel tractor at some point. Nothing against the Cummins. Just curious.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oifvet said:
Have the M52s dried up? I see one every now-and-then. Plenty of 818s showing up lately though. I think I want a multi-fuel tractor at some point. Nothing against the Cummins. Just curious.
The M51/52/54 series of trucks were made from the early 1950s to the late 1960s or so. They have since been replaced with the M800 series, the M900 series, and the now the FMTV series. They are long obsolete, in the DoD's eyes, and have been replaced several times over, the ones that are remaining in inventory are usually from some NG unit, back in the sticks somewhere, or have been forgotten and sitting behind some warehouse for a while. I am surprised that they still show up at auction at all, but GL surprises me every now and then. Heck, last year, I remember seeing two M135/M211 gassers on GL, and one M37. Where were those three hiding???

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My M52 Gasser is far from dried up it starts as good as any gas engine with half the years on it. I am seriously anticipating the cummins powered M818 though since I do love diesel engines. The National Guard just finished rebuilding a lot of these M818's I saw a bunch at Aberdeen and asked if they were coming up but the NCO told me they were just delivered for units. Some General must have changed his mind since these look to be out of the same rebuild program. What a beautiful pair of trucks and a nice looking M911 to boot.

Coveralls

Glad to see you made it through the bad weather ok. Did yours have strange looking batteries in them? Iv'e never seen those NATO batteries before. Now I need a tan lowboy and I'll be all set.What kind of trailer are you and your dad looking for?

TheBuggyman said:
Andydieselpower said:
He turned his injection pump on manual mode and it started right up.

Andy
How did you do this? I have to pick up my M818 next week and want to get all my bases covered. Got any pics of this procedure?
bug man there is a thumb screw on the pump. just turn it in and the fuel stays turned on untill you turn it back out. left side of pic just behind the larger hose that runs vertical. its rust colered and faces the front. i dont know how to draw lines on pics yet.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks