• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819/M246 Ops Questions

m139h2otruck

Try Sam Winer's for mirrors. On e-bay all the time under rzetzer. Around $22-25 each w/ head. Plus shipping of course.

Good looking big truck!!

NEIOWA

BFR said:
not my truck, but...

btw the biggest hurdle was the power line overhead.
NO kidding? Min clearance standard is 10FT.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/crane.html

—If the power lines are not de-energized, operate cranes in the area
ONLY if a safe minimum clearance is maintained as follows:
At least 10 feet for lines rated 50 kilovolts or below
At least 10 feet plus 0.4 inch for each kilovolt above 50
kilovolts; or maintain twice the length of the line
insulator (but never less than 10 feet).

The wind can move that wire even if you're being REALLLLY careful. AND can arc from line to your boom.

m139h2otruck

Re your question about needing power to run the truck, the Cummins has an electric solenoid valve for the fuel shutoff. If not enough voltage, it would tend to close and shut off the fuel. Multis and the Macks don't have this, just the pull knob.

CGarbee

Congratulations!

As a fellow "new" NHC250 owner (mine is in a M817), I can say that the "easy" way to prime the injector pump when everything is dry (say, when you replace the suction line between the fuel filter that you just replaced and the lift pump on the injector) is to pump some air into the fuel tank through the tank vent using a blow gun on the air hose attached to a friends M816 wrecker (or, a M35 or air tank if you don't have a buddy with a M816 or similar handy... :) so that you push the fuel up to the pump...
You only have one each oil and fuel filter...
Check the little rubber lines attached to the fuel tank selector switch located under that driver's seat... The have a habit of developing pin hole leaks that allow the unit to suck air, which this truck really dislikes... (There is more than one post/thread on this site dealing with air in the fuel system of these trucks, and the headaches that the selector switch has caused folks...).

I think that I spotted 10wt on the Warren Oil Company home page, which means that I can get it at Agri-Supply... My truck had good looking fluid in the power steering system, and it worked like a charm on the drive home from Ohio, so I'm feeling good about it... :) I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the system.

My truck (M817) has west coast mirrors from a ten ton mounted (I think that I am going to trade them to a ten ton owner and replace them with more "correct" ones). I think that the cab is bassically the same as that found on a duece so the M35 west coast mirrors should bolt right up??

Best wishes.

CGarbee

m139h2otruck said:
Re your question about needing power to run the truck, the Cummins has an electric solenoid valve for the fuel shutoff. If not enough voltage, it would tend to close and shut off the fuel. Multis and the Macks don't have this, just the pull knob.

The Cummins 4BT in my M37 also has an electric solenoid valve for fuel shutoff... Turns out it is the same part that was in the VW Dasher diesel (which also used a Bosh injector pump) and is about 1/3 the cost if you go to a parts house and ask for a VW part then if you go to an equipment dealer (or Cummins) and ask for a 4BT part. I'm in the process of removing it and attaching the "pull to stop" cable from a M35 to the fuel shut down lever that conviently is mounted to the injector pump (used on stationary applications) so that I can avoid having to have power to run the engine.

BTW: I've found that the way to roll start my little Cummins when the batteries are dead is to give it a shot of ether (bad, I know-field expedient) before pulling it off... The ether gives it just enough of a kick to energize the alternator, thus powering the solenoid, allowing fuel to flow, and starting...

Not sure if you can convert the pump on a NHC250 to non-electric operation like you can the little one, and I hope not to have to try the roll start the five ton...

M1075

The amber light in the front is specific to wreckers and is used to designate a vehicle in tow. From page 2-15 of the -10.

"Signal light switch controls operation of amber warning light on left front fender
when wrecker crane is operating or disabled vehicle is being towed."

No.2Diesel

m139h20truck: The tires are Goodyear G186 12.00x20.00 Tube Type Radials. Max PSI is 120 and maximum load on single is 8,210lbs. They are 16ply. The spare is also a 12x20 but is a Powertrak and tread is different as well as being pretty cracked and dry rotted. Goodyear does make new ones but not 186s. They make a G177.

Thank you h20 and CGarbee for confirming my suspicions about the NHC250's electricity requirement to operate. How much does a 4BT weigh? Ahh thats what that amber light is for. Those boom floodlights sure will come in handy with tailgaters :D

There is no front axle switch under the dash so I'm assuming its a sprag? An MWO was applied in 1989 and all the tags on the drivetrain components seem to reflect that. I incorrectly posted earlier that it had 1,790hrs. +/- The tach needle was covering the first two digits. Its really 790hrs. !!

CGarbee

No.2Diesel said:
How much does a 4BT weigh? There is no front axle switch under the dash so I'm assuming its a sprag?
A Cummins 4BT weighs in at 700lbs give or take a few depending on what accessories you hang off it and how you configure them...
As far as I know (based off answers from other folks here and from reading the TM's for the M809 series, they are all sprag units...

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
keven at star elect. has the work bulbs, there is NO hy.filter, the tm calls for a tank drain, my 819 does about 60 at 2000, at 2100 im close to 65, a filter is on my todo list, thats my 819 in bfrs pic of the towbar from hell lift, i just found 14 brand new 1200x20s, ndts, i had been looking for about 2 years, with the higher road speed, i run about 1700 to keep from running over a little deuce if one is in front of me (other then if one is towing the 819 :x ) check out my 819 pics in the photo album, i got a full set of belts from john winslow, along with the hard to get lower rad. hose, glad to see another 819 here, all sprag with air shift for forward and reverse sprag, there is a mwo for these, this is for a air switch that shuts the air off to the control valves on the trans, this allows the sprag to drop into neutral, this is for towing, (you can get stuck if the switch is not on :oops: ) a cucv makes a nice wheel chock for a 819,

the fuel solenoid has a thumscrew that you can turn in ,this open the fuel solenoid so the cummins will run without electric power, if there is no engine kill, you wont be able to shut the thing down unless you turn out the thumscrew

how many 819s or 246s are there on sits now, remember everybody has a deuce, only Gods chosen few have a 246 or a 819,

No.2Diesel

Wow big thanks 73m819 for that IP fuel tip, and light bulb source. Yeah I guess a hydraulic filter will be added in the future, no rush. When shifting into First-Reverse I do hear a very audible "pufftssst" of air.

Now a question for Sir Doyle and company:

What would be an appropriate ratio of wreckers to all other 5Ton truck versions produced? 1:100? Would the M809 series ratio be similar to the earlier M62/M246 or even WWII production figures?

M1075

73m819 said:
there is a mwo for these, this is for a air switch that shuts the air off to the control valves on the trans, this allows the sprag to drop into neutral, this is for towing, (you can get stuck if the switch is not on :oops: ) ,
I've got an M819 and haven't seen this air switch. If installed, where would it be? Is this MWO common to all of the M809 series?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks