• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820A2 is home safe...Now it's time to check her out!

This is such an awesome piece of equipment. Can anyone tell a noobie what specific function it served? I am sure there were many varied uses, but it doesn't seem to be a logistics / supply vehicle.

I can envision battle planning and/or command and control going on in it, though.

Just curious.

LC

goldneagle

This is such an awesome piece of equipment. Can anyone tell a noobie what specific function it served? I am sure there were many varied uses, but it doesn't seem to be a logistics / supply vehicle.

I can envision battle planning and/or command and control going on in it, though.

Just curious.

LC
The A2 version was used as an electronic repair shop. The lifgate was used to lift heavy equipment so it would not get damaged trying to get it into the box.

Goldneagle is correct. In addition to electronics, the calibration folks also could work torque wrenches, pressure guages, micrometers, scales, etc in an M820A2. The lift gate was indeed to get heavy, sensitive, or bulky items in and out.

The equipment racks were stowed and attached down the centerline of the shelter box. When deployed, the walk area was around the racks. Calibration teams typically had 2 M820A2's each with a 60KW generator trailer.

AG

Goldneagle, sorry for the late post. Can you fit a hardtop on that thing with the van body clearance above the cab? I have only seen them with soft tops which I think is strange considering what it is.

I might be buying one and would like to start figgerin as much as I can about it! Nice truck BTW [thumbzup]

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goldneagle, sorry for the late post. Can you fit a hardtop on that thing with the van body clearance above the cab? I have only seen them with soft tops which I think is strange considering what it is.

I might be buying one and would like to start figgerin as much as I can about it! Nice truck BTW [thumbzup]

Eastern surplus has a couple of them with hardtops....

Attachments

HawkeyeMech

Liftgate

GE - Is there any manufacturers data anywhere on your liftgate? I'd like to install one on my truck if I can figure out who makes them like that. When it is up does it fold up under the back of the frame or does it cover the back doors so you have to put it down before you can open the back doors? thanks!

S

Sirblissfull

I own the vehicle now and I can look for the manufacturing data when I am up at the shop this week.

The hard tops DO NOT fit without modifications you have to cut the lid off trim it all down and then you can squeeze it back under the box. Ask M920 for details.

I took a bunch of pics of the ones for sale here in New Mexico with hard tops to see how they did the mod.

HawkeyeMech

Thanks Bliss - Given the headache with the hard top, I think I'll just look for an insulated soft top in that desert color; any leads you know of for one?

I think I figured out how to get 12kW and about 48,000 BTU out of the space where the old heaters/AC are...

S

Sirblissfull

Most of the ACs have been replaced with modern AC/Heater units with much greater efficiency.

Swapping in a Genny for a heater unit would not be very difficult as long as you vented and insulated well. Mostly for the sound.

The M820A2 liftgate covers the rear doors when stowed. It does not flip under and nest below the van body. There's no opening the rear doors unless the gate is lowered to deck level or lower.

GE - Is there any manufacturers data anywhere on your liftgate? I'd like to install one on my truck if I can figure out who makes them like that. When it is up does it fold up under the back of the frame or does it cover the back doors so you have to put it down before you can open the back doors? thanks!

S

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks