• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M871 Trailer lights

kstate90

I was working on the trailer lights on my M871 trailer last night and I can't figure out how the brake lights are supposed to work. On the back of the trailer there are two junction boxes. The one on the right has the right and left turn wires and the tail and clearance lights hooked up. It also has a stop light wire that comes from the front of the trailer but has no wire that continues on from that post. Everything works but the brake lights. Do they not use a brake light on these trailers? I checked the stop light lug and it engergizes when the brake is applied so I have 12 volts to that point. I am not sure where it needs to go from there. I am trying to stay with the original military style lights but if I can't figure this out I may have to put regular lights on. Thanks.

Edit: I finally found a diagram and it says that the two round lights on the back are the stop/turn lights. On my trailer the turn signals are the two military style lights. I will look at these lights tonight and see what they look like.

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wouldnt the turn signals also be the brake lights? i know blackout lights have a designated stop light and do not have turn signals. I would think if it says stop light, that would be for the blackout lights. maybe somebody with more experience will chime in soon too.