• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 Electrcal grimlins

Bighurt

Alright I discovered a new Gremlin of mine today...didn't have time to track her down, Uncle Sam has a tight schedule.

Anyways, shut the truck down ignition off, and the brake lights are still on, just the brake lights nothing else. So guess I get to dive into that debacle again this weekend. Hopefully my batteries aren't dead when I get back there tomorrow.

Among my last issues this is a new one.

And Richard thought CUCV's where bad.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This wretched invention of the devil is making me crazy.

I peeled the protective cover off the wiring harness from just above the IP all the way around the front of the engine to the alterntor. There were some suspicious gaps in it and I thought some of the wires might be shorting.

Once I got it peeled everything looked fine so I re-wrapped it and hooked everything back up.

Still no fire to the guages.

I managed to download the TM with the schematic in it but I cannot figure out where I need to be looking.

The harness goes into a cannon plug on the fire wall so I assume I could disconnect it and check for shorts....if I had the electrical ability to do so.

The truck runs fine but I don't want to operate it without guages......I also have to shut it off manually.....the shut off solinoid does not work.

I also noticed that the top radiator hose is collapsed......any other M915 owners have this problem???

Nonotagain

WM if the hose is collapsed when cold after the truck has been run it's possible that the overflow hose is toast and is collapsing while attempting returning overflowed coolant.
Check the cap for correct pressure and condition of overflow hose.

Bighurt

WM if the hose is collapsed when cold after the truck has been run it's possible that the overflow hose is toast and is collapsing while attempting returning overflowed coolant.
Check the cap for correct pressure and condition of overflow hose.
That's where I was going with my question.

R Racing

Alright I discovered a new Gremlin of mine today...didn't have time to track her down, Uncle Sam has a tight schedule.

Anyways, shut the truck down ignition off, and the brake lights are still on, just the brake lights nothing else. So guess I get to dive into that debacle again this weekend. Hopefully my batteries aren't dead when I get back there tomorrow.

Among my last issues this is a new one.

And Richard thought CUCV's where bad.

Did you just happen to notice if your trailer brake lever on the colom wasn't all the way forwad ;-) LOL ?

R Racing

I peeled the protective cover off the wiring harness from just above the IP all the way around the front of the engine to the alterntor. There were some suspicious gaps in it and I thought some of the wires might be shorting.

Once I got it peeled everything looked fine so I re-wrapped it and hooked everything back up.

I managed to download the TM with the schematic in it but I cannot figure out where I need to be looking.

The harness goes into a cannon plug on the fire wall so I assume I could disconnect it and check for shorts....if I had the electrical ability to do so.

The truck runs fine but I don't want to operate it without guages......I also have to shut it off manually.....the shut off solinoid does not work.

I also noticed that the top radiator hose is collapsed......any other M915 owners have this problem???
Check your overflow hose something makes me think you have a mud divers nest or a blockage in it .

R Racing

did you get a chance to check CB6 and wire 44 yet. Its the only other common tie I could see.

Bighurt

Did you just happen to notice if your trailer brake lever on the colom wasn't all the way forwad ;-) LOL ?
That's a good point, I was all over the Cab jocking trailers this morning. If you saw the canyon of alley's I was working in.

Regardles that's probably it...didn't even think to look as I don't use it...

I'll swing by and check that on the way home...

I still have a gremlin somewhere, hope teh truck doesn't get wet.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
BUMP!!!!!!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Fellow Steel Soldier and all around good guy Tigger came by today in his big rig enroute to a delivery.

We grabbed a multi-meter and began stalking the elusive electrical grimlin that Mr. Murphy bestowed on the truck.

Tigger studied the schematics and did some trouble shooting but the little bugger was deeply entrenched in the wiring.

I decided to hook a jumper wire from the cigar lighter to the guages to see if we could get some fire into them. In my typical fashion I shorted the jumper and one of the red breakers in the dash popped out......Tigger reset it and the guages came to life.

Our best guess is that the breaker was in a neutral position and when I shorted the circuit it popped all the way out. I had pushed all of the breakers several times previously.

At any rate the guages are healed and now I can drive it without worrying about something going haywire without me knowing about it.

Much thanks to Tigger for his assistance in showing Mr. Murphy the road.

I still need a fuel shut off soleniod (I have to shut it off manually) and a windshield wiper switch (air actuated).

Any help tracking the above down will be appreciated.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Well I enjoyed spending a few hours with ya. and thanks for lunch! As for fixing the truck i think dumb luck had somthing to do with it!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It was the first red breaker button on the left side of the bank of breakers.

I suspect it is a result of inactivity.

Anybody know if there is something you can spray breakers with (like contact cleaner) that might keep them working as designed.

WrightContracting

Hope everyone is doing alright. I am new to SS, so bear with me. I have purchased a 5 ton dump and most recently an 83 M915A1, great truck, but I have been having trouble with the turn signals:

I have all running lights, including blackout, but no turn signals or flashers.

I replaced the universal signal control on the column, reset the breakers, and tried replacing the relays for the signals.

Any help would greatly be appreciated !

Thanks

Joe

WrightContracting

None of the signals flash on the truck nor the indicators on the switch in the cab. Brake lights work fine. I did notice when I hooked to a trailer (non mil) when I press the brake pedal the side maker signal on the trailer flashes