• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 Question/ Help

bguy193

Hoping somebody out there can help me with this one. Yesterday I was gonna tighten the fan belts up a bit. The first bolt I got on was the one right next to the tension bolt and it busted right off. I couldn't believe a bolt that size just snapped that easily. I know to fix it I'll have to pull the plate off the engine that the fan clutch mounts to, but I'm supposed to recover a trailer next week on Friday. My question is, do you think I can run with only two of the three bolts to make the 6 hour trip? Or should I park it and get to fixing? My main concern is if it will hold up under load when the fan clutch disengages and the belts start pulling the fan. I don't want it to come apart and take out the radiator and do all kinds of other damage. I'm also worried that with the way that bolt snapped if I start digging in to this thing and start breaking more stuff than I will be down for quite a while and not be able to pick up the trailer. Any Ideas?? I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Hooty481

That's not a good deal at al. I just tightened my fan belts and replaced the water pump belt and idler pulley for the water pump belt. Didn't have any trouble.

Those fan belt bolts are big I didn't think they would break that easy. I used a 3/4 wrench to take mine off. When you decide to take the other 2 bolts out I would try to hit the tops of the bolts with a hammer a couple times. This should help break them free. I hope you get her back together soon.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would fix it first. You are "NMC" (not mission capable). Think of the wrecker bill.

bguy193

.........UPDATE.........After talking the matter over with WillWagner today I got started on the tear down........Got the mounting plate off about 20 min ago and will drop it off at the local machine shop tomorrow for the bolt extraction. A special thanks goes out to WillWagner for the helpful info, he is a great guy and was willing to help. That is one of the greatest things about SS, there is always help available if you ask. Thanks everybody.:beer:

bguy193

M915 Broken Bolt...UPDATE...

As I mentioned in my last post I had contacted WillWagner this morning about my problem and afterwards I had moved on to disassemble the fan clutch and mounting assembly so I could take the mounting plate into a machine shop for removal of what was left of the broken bolt. After removing the mounting plate I laid it face down on the workbench and filled the back side of the threaded bolt hole with PB Blaster. About an hour later I went out and the lube had chased the threads and the whole pool of lube had ran out onto the workbench. I grabed the small nub that was still sticking out of the front of the plate with a pair of channel locks and it backed on out.......WHEW........So I chased all the threads with a tap and when I reassemble I will use Anti-Seize and that should take care of any possible future issues with the fan belt adjusting. While I have it all apart I am also gonna change the two fan belts because #1 they look pretty ratty and #2 it will be easy enough to do without the fan clutch mounted to the engine. Now all I have to do Is pick up a replacement bolt, a couple of belts, and I should be back in action for the trailer recovery on Friday.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why TWO threads on the same BOLT DA, real bad for search, merged them,

Last edited:

JH1

It might be a good idea to replace the other bolts, seeing as how the gorilla that tightened that broken bolt also tightened the other related ones, too.
Jim

bguy193

It might be a good idea to replace the other bolts, seeing as how the gorilla that tightened that broken bolt also tightened the other related ones, too.
Jim
Yup I figured I'd go ahead and change em. Went by Springfield Tractor and Trailer today and got belts, tomorrow I'll get the bolts, and Wedensday I will piece her back together. I will be good for Friday.