• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 Question/ Help

bguy193

Hoping somebody out there can help me with this one. Yesterday I was gonna tighten the fan belts up a bit. The first bolt I got on was the one right next to the tension bolt and it busted right off. I couldn't believe a bolt that size just snapped that easily. I know to fix it I'll have to pull the plate off the engine that the fan clutch mounts to, but I'm supposed to recover a trailer next week on Friday. My question is, do you think I can run with only two of the three bolts to make the 6 hour trip? Or should I park it and get to fixing? My main concern is if it will hold up under load when the fan clutch disengages and the belts start pulling the fan. I don't want it to come apart and take out the radiator and do all kinds of other damage. I'm also worried that with the way that bolt snapped if I start digging in to this thing and start breaking more stuff than I will be down for quite a while and not be able to pick up the trailer. Any Ideas?? I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Hooty481

That's not a good deal at al. I just tightened my fan belts and replaced the water pump belt and idler pulley for the water pump belt. Didn't have any trouble.

Those fan belt bolts are big I didn't think they would break that easy. I used a 3/4 wrench to take mine off. When you decide to take the other 2 bolts out I would try to hit the tops of the bolts with a hammer a couple times. This should help break them free. I hope you get her back together soon.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would fix it first. You are "NMC" (not mission capable). Think of the wrecker bill.

bguy193

.........UPDATE.........After talking the matter over with WillWagner today I got started on the tear down........Got the mounting plate off about 20 min ago and will drop it off at the local machine shop tomorrow for the bolt extraction. A special thanks goes out to WillWagner for the helpful info, he is a great guy and was willing to help. That is one of the greatest things about SS, there is always help available if you ask. Thanks everybody.:beer:

bguy193

M915 Broken Bolt...UPDATE...

As I mentioned in my last post I had contacted WillWagner this morning about my problem and afterwards I had moved on to disassemble the fan clutch and mounting assembly so I could take the mounting plate into a machine shop for removal of what was left of the broken bolt. After removing the mounting plate I laid it face down on the workbench and filled the back side of the threaded bolt hole with PB Blaster. About an hour later I went out and the lube had chased the threads and the whole pool of lube had ran out onto the workbench. I grabed the small nub that was still sticking out of the front of the plate with a pair of channel locks and it backed on out.......WHEW........So I chased all the threads with a tap and when I reassemble I will use Anti-Seize and that should take care of any possible future issues with the fan belt adjusting. While I have it all apart I am also gonna change the two fan belts because #1 they look pretty ratty and #2 it will be easy enough to do without the fan clutch mounted to the engine. Now all I have to do Is pick up a replacement bolt, a couple of belts, and I should be back in action for the trailer recovery on Friday.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why TWO threads on the same BOLT DA, real bad for search, merged them,

Last edited:

JH1

It might be a good idea to replace the other bolts, seeing as how the gorilla that tightened that broken bolt also tightened the other related ones, too.
Jim

bguy193

It might be a good idea to replace the other bolts, seeing as how the gorilla that tightened that broken bolt also tightened the other related ones, too.
Jim
Yup I figured I'd go ahead and change em. Went by Springfield Tractor and Trailer today and got belts, tomorrow I'll get the bolts, and Wedensday I will piece her back together. I will be good for Friday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks