• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1...finally

Bighurt

Yeah, its a guessing game, having to judge from the pics whats there and whats not. Thankfully my M915A1 had 20 or so pics posted in the GL auction
so it wasn't so hard to tell. And not being able to inspect before hand due to the distance to the truck makes it rough. Its the chance we take. If you haven't found a key I have an extra copy, let me know and I mail one to you.
Good Luck I hope every thing works out for you! I know I wanted a M915A1 so bad I could taste it, once this addiction gets in the blood - well you know.[thumbzup]rofl
Yeah, I told the wife I'd not buying anything till its paid for, but it's really tempting.

There is a M916 coming up close by, and an 820 in NM I'd love to fab up.

I have a friend sending me a key, so I appreciate the repetitive offers but I got one coming.

I just went out and looked at my M915A1 and the head light at the top says 2D1 General Electric sealed beam. I don't know if this helps but there it is. The tail lights have a number on them PM4421 and they look like they are wired in No plugs. Agian Not sure if this helps?

Bighurt

I just went out and looked at my M915A1 and the head light at the top says 2D1 General Electric sealed beam. I don't know if this helps but there it is. The tail lights have a number on them PM4421 and they look like they are wired in No plugs. Agian Not sure if this helps?
Yes that helps.

The front head light is a GE H6024 and assuming the rear lights mount with 3 studs to a flat surface they are Trucklite LIT4027's

Of course the front marker/turn signals we already know are Trucklite LIT4842.

Now I need;

-to find the ring that holds the front bulbs in place.
-find mirrors or part numbers
-exhaust stack (not really necessary atm)
-what other parts it's missing.

This has brighten an otherwise gloomy day!

Thanks

wsucougarx

Congratulations!! Your waiting game won't be very long! My EUC was pulled for Periodic Assessment (treat me like it's my first EUC). It took only 16 days

eldgenb

Yes that helps.

The front head light is a GE H6024 and assuming the rear lights mount with 3 studs to a flat surface they are Trucklite LIT4027's

Of course the front marker/turn signals we already know are Trucklite LIT4842.

Now I need;

-to find the ring that holds the front bulbs in place.
-find mirrors or part numbers
-exhaust stack (not really necessary atm)
-what other parts it's missing.

This has brighten an otherwise gloomy day!

Thanks
that outer ring is just a beauty ring, there is a much smaller ring behind it which is pretty standad, I have seen the exact ones on most all cars from the 70's 80's, it has three little screws that hold it to the bucket and then the beauty ring that you see from the outside just conceals that.
You can buy standard west coast mirrors from any surplus location or even truck shop for the 915, If it were me, I would find a diesel shop close to where the truck is and just put a 7' chunk of 5" straight pipe where the muffler was, sounds cool, perfectly legal, and less exhaust restriction anyways. I am considering putting 5" dual straight pipes on mine in the near future as well.

eldgenb

after re looking at your listing it looks like the buckets are missing as well, afaik they are also the standard type buckets found in your average auto from the previous mentioned era. The cab mount for the exhaust is still there so the shop you get exhaust tubing from will have some 5" exhaust clamps that you can use with that as well.

Bighurt

after re looking at your listing it looks like the buckets are missing as well, afaik they are also the standard type buckets found in your average auto from the previous mentioned era. The cab mount for the exhaust is still there so the shop you get exhaust tubing from will have some 5" exhaust clamps that you can use with that as well.
You mean "brackets" right the exhaust brackets are missing?

Good call on the diesel shop...I'll who's close by. Although I was just going to loosen the elbow and turn her down towards the duals for the trip home. Although I should get some mudflaps, most states require them, don't want to chance a pull over.

I thought the CCC trucks had taller mirrors than standard west coast mirrors.

Why they are called west coast mirrors anyways?

Bighurt

did you remember the starter ?
I don't know where that NDT got the impression it was missing a starter...

The assistant lot manager is supposed to call me back tomorrow, however my timing is going to be crucial as knowledgeable person driving through says he'd take a look if I can make it work.

Either way I hope to get the low down from the assistant on what else is missing or what else I'm in for. If neither happen tomorrow, I'll be hiring someone to inspect it seeing as though no one has stepped up.

It's crucial for recovery I have everything in order before I make the attempt.

Anybody think I could flat tow it with a tow bar, behind my F350?

R Racing

If you go to your auction pictures and blow up picture 14 and look at the lower right corner you will see 1 of the starter cables hanging in the breeze and appears to be no starter. There hard to miss ! lol there about 18 inches long and 5 to 6 inches in diameter and weight between 65 and 70 lbs

R Racing

If you were only traveling flat land then your F350 would have a fighting chance to pull it. The real problem is there is no way your F350 will be able to stop it . The F350 doesnt have air brakes so you can't use the glad hands.and the M915 doesnt have electric brakes to feed from your F350.

Bighurt

If you were only traveling flat land then your F350 would have a fighting chance to pull it. The real problem is there is no way your F350 will be able to stop it . The F350 doesnt have air brakes so you can't use the glad hands.and the M915 doesnt have electric brakes to feed from your F350.

Good call...

R Racing

If you had a F450 or F550 with a gooseneck and flat road the M915 weights 19,630 LBS the trailer electric brakes could do the stopping for you . another concern is height is 114.63 over the horns since your stack is missing.

Bighurt

If you had a F450 or F550 with a gooseneck and flat road the M915 weights 19,630 LBS the trailer electric brakes could do the stopping for you . another concern is height is 114.63 over the horns since your stack is missing.
Nope just got my SRW F350. I do have a goose-neck hitch and looked into the height as well. A low pro goose has a 30" deck height. Regular is 36", which totals 145" and 151" respectfully. Both lower than the legal limit of 162"

Unfortunately max tow capacity on the F350 is 4k shy of the GVW on the M915...

I hope to hear good news today...

Bighurt

Alright I got the low down from the lot manager down at Cullman. Trucks in great shape, I got the truck they were talking about that only had $500 worth of stuff missing.

Yes it is missing the starter, and hardware, so I need to find one of those.

Of course I already knew it was missing mudflamps, muffler, batteries, spare tire, mirrors and lights.

Lights check found them need to order them. Should be able to get the starter from NAPA as well unless I can find a good take-off. Harware should be easy.

I contacted a parts truck owner for the mirror's and beauty ring, still waiting to hear back on that.

In other words great news for me. Mechanic said everything else on the truck was fresh. So it's a reasonable assumption she'll make the trip home. Now I just need to get the stuff gathered and a recovery plan.

Anyone have a starter part# and harware specs?

What you might do is see if you can locate a SS member close by that has a M915A1 or a like truck that could tow bar your truck out of the lot and to a more suitable place to work on it. Don't forget the air lines from the lead truck to your truck for the brakes. Its sounds like alot of work you are gonna have to do to get it suitable to drive home. I am glad that even though your truck is needing all of this, its not discuraging you (atleast it doesn't sound like it). Just keep thinking positive, and it will work out.:D

Bighurt

What you might do is see if you can locate a SS member close by that has a M915A1 or a like truck that could tow bar your truck out of the lot and to a more suitable place to work on it. Don't forget the air lines from the lead truck to your truck for the brakes. Its sounds like alot of work you are gonna have to do to get it suitable to drive home. I am glad that even though your truck is needing all of this, its not discuraging you (atleast it doesn't sound like it). Just keep thinking positive, and it will work out.:D
Timing is everything.

Discouraged, not at all I think it's minor stuff. Starter maybe a pain but it's do-able.

I do have to have it towed off the lot, as they won't let me fix it on site, I figured and didn't even ask.

Depending on how I get down there I may pay to tow it off post and fix it somewhere in town. Perhaps there there is a NAPA in town or O'Reillies I can find some parking lot at... i'll figure something out.

If I end up driving the F350 down with an assistant, I'll just flat tow it in town the short distance... Yes I won't have brakes but we are talking about a short distance, take it slow she'll be fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks