• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915a1 question on drain plug

Autocar

I'm going to recover an M915A1 next week and I want to check the rear diffs oil levels. Does anyone know where the plugs are located and what kind of wrench they need? Thanks.

fasttruck

I do know it is the larger and/or upper plug. A second hole is provided by the manufacturer (the lower one) for a temperature gauge which is not used. Will look at truck tomorrow for size. Most are 1/2" drive square but there are others.

fasttruck

Looked at truck today. M 915 not like 809 series. This has a 3/4" square boss on the check plug so an open end wrench should do. Check-fill plug is the higher and larger one on the rear of carrier. Pic attached. Plug is visible beneath right tail ligfht. Smaller and lower plug is for a temperature gauge sender which is not used.

Attachments

fasttruck

One of forward rear or intermediate axle is same: higher and larger plug also 3/4" boss faces rear of truck. Takes about 4 gallons of GO to fill each one if they are empty plus a couple of quarts for the power divider on the forward axle.

fasttruck

Yes the power divider has its own fill plug which is different from the carriers as it is a pipe plug with a 1/2" female boss which would require a 1/2" drive to get it out. Pic of LO attached to show its location. It will probably be easier to remove the deck plates between the cab and the fifth wheel to get to it. Taakes 2 pints of GO sez the LO.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks