• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

Artisan

Nice sig line Breach! LOL!

"Be polite, be proffesional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." LOL

You spelt Professional wrong though bro... :) )

Do you have the TM's for your truck Breach?
They really do empower you, daunting they are, but after a while, you will get the jest of things...

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I put the 1600's on mine to with ground down front drum. Then I got the MK rims and tires after I had a wheel bearing went bad on one side. I don't want to carrie a different rim and tire just for the front. I think my 920 with Deuce bed will be used for draging around my 6 ton military trailer by way of dolly too pindle hookup. I want one rim/tire all around the same but going back to the 1100-24 like that came on it. I don't plan to go far off road with the 920 anymore but want tubless one peice rims. I have the tools for changing tubeless and tubeless tires if just a nail hole can be pluged with a sheet metal screw till you have a chance to put the correct plug in from the inside of the tire. Get a nail hole with tube type and its flat till you change the tube or repair it. I'm thinking 1100x24 but on road off road tread.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part of the ether starting system on these trucks is a thermostatic switch that is located on the passenger side of the engine at the rear. To the way I understand it, the switch is closed below 50°F to allow the ether system a path to ground through the threads of the switch into the engine block. Whether it is a normally open or normally closed switch, I'm not sure.

The TM says to remove this component when draining the coolant from the truck. Recently, when I was servicing my truck, I did not drain the coolant from that location and then later thought better of it and went ahead and removed the switch like it says. I was able to get at least another gallon of coolant out, so I figure it was worthwhile.

The switch on my truck did not leak, but was fairly bad looking. I don't use the ether system here in Arizona - My truck did not come with an ether bottle and I have not replaced it, but since I was servicing the cooling system, I figured I would replace the switch if it wasn't too expensive. There are no part numbers or stampings of any kind on the switch I removed, and the TM says that it is a Phillips & Temro P/N 321028-01. (NSN 5930-01-127-2113) When you look up 5930-01-127-2113, it says "Cancelled without replacement." Oh well. I suspect it is probably nearly the same as any other truck ether start thermostat switch, so a replacement is likely easily found at a truck parts supply house.

A while back, M920 (Soni) told me to remove the fender to work on the alternator rather than to try and squeeze between the air intake tube and the fender. It is simple to remove - one Amphenol connector and 8 bolts to take out. It is a bit heavy for one person to move by themselves.

So three lessons for me, here -

1. Remove the ether thermostat switch to completely drain the truck.
2. The ether start system will not function above 50°F.
3. The lower sides of the engine are a lot easier to access if you remove the fenders.

Attachments

Last edited:

Artisan

You can remove just the inner fender wall too, and it gives you
tons of access as well but for a lot of work removing the
whole shooting match would be sweet.

Pulling that thermostatic switch must act as a "vent" allowing
more coolant to drop.

The thermostatic switch is a good safety device that will prevent
the uneducated from using ether when it is too hot outside, I bet
that is why it was installed. I am sure lots of farm boys whom
grew up giving ole Betsy the Tractor a squirt of ether every day
had a lot to do with that.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling that thermostatic switch must act as a "vent" allowing more coolant to drop.
Not just a vent, a gallon or so of coolant came out of that hole upon removing the switch even when no coolant was flowing from all the other drain areas open. (Radiator petcock, lower radiator hose, & oil cooler)

The thermostatic switch is a good safety device that will prevent the uneducated from using ether when it is too hot outside, I bet that is why it was installed. I am sure lots of farm boys whom grew up giving ole Betsy the Tractor a squirt of ether every day had a lot to do with that.
Undoubtedly - In a truck that only one person drives and is smart enough to know how to use the ether system, one could simply ground the wire instead of use the thermal switch.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I created these wire circuit number "cheat sheets" from the images in the -20 TM. These are for the M915-M920, and might work with the M915A1 in some cases.

Attachments

USA642

M920 no power to transmission?

Yes, Soni.
I own an M920 and have had my share of issues with it.
Right now I'm dealing with no power to my Allison Automatic transmission.
Check Trans light on the dash is on...

Last edited:

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Soni.
I own an M920 owner and have had my share of issues with it.
Right now I'm dealing with no power to my Allison Automatic transmission.
Check Trans light on the dash is on...
Check the fuses in the black plastic control box. It is located in the black metal box under the rear window between the seats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks