• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916-M920 Tech & Tips

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
14 tires (new) will be expensive...prob at least 300 a pop. The winch cable may or may not be cheap depending on if you can find a servicable used one.

You could single it out with HEMMT tires and rims but since you are out west they may be hard to find out there.

It is a semi-auto matic.....mash the gas, tach it out to around 1700 RPM (depending on load and terrain), ease off the throttle and shift into next highest gear. I don't let the RPM drop all the way down before I upshift....almost like speedshifting a gasser. If you are heavily loaded or going up hill wind it all the way out to keep the RPM from dropping too bad.

I use a slapping motion by cupping my hand around the shifiter and bumping it up or down.

Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature.

If you are empty or lightly loaded you can start off in third gear.

When downshifting you have to watch your RPM to avoid damage to the engine/tranny.

If you are driving a M920 you have to raise the tag axle to make a sharp turn.

One issue with these trucks is that they were worked on by military mechanics and set to all kinds of specs.....some will run like a scalded dog and some won't pull the hat off your head. It depends of how the Injector Pump was set up.

If you buy one that is a dog expect to spend a chunk of change to have the pump set up to give you the max power.

86m1028

I've tried several search tries to find the thread or posting on shifting the CAT transmission in the 920. can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm sure I overlooked something. I have a chance of picking up either a 916 or a 920, to move heavy stuff around. The 916 is a 79 and shows 93,000 miles, has good recent CARC, and the 920 is an 80 model, shows less than 3,000 miles, needs 14 tires and a new cable in the winch. anyone have a preference?
Ive got 11 new tires (11R24's) on wheels ready to go.
Ill make you a deal on.

Blind Driver

Is that a 250 Cummins under the hood?

Do the 5th sliders have to be cut down and does the 5th wheel have to be changed for a lower civi model. That looks like a high sitting truck.

Last edited:

treessw

Is that a 250 Cummins under the hood?

Do the 5th sliders have to be cut down and does the 5th wheel have to be changed for a lower civi model. That looks like a high sitting truck.
It is all in what you are trying to do, this will dictate the amount of work that is going to need to be done. Top plate will have to be changed out, it is set up for a 3.5' kingpin. I think the top of the plate, off the cuff, is between 56"-64" from ground level. If you use a civi trailer, there can be some issues, and thats putting it lightly, just my2cents.

Mind you, with the weight on these trucks, insurance etc. it is not a matter to be taken lightly. CDL A would be highly recommended (IN my opinion a MUST) before just hoping on the road, especially with L.E. If you get tangled into the wrong mess, you are looking at fines, loss of License, possible jail time. Once these guys get in your pocket... lets just say its BAD.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just know what its like when people dont know what they are getting into.

:beer:

goodguyzy

My dimmer switch (hi-low) for the headlights came apart. Replaced with napa DS101, holes line up. Replaced screws and lock washers with new ones. Works like a champ now. Next project is to find a better head light that is brighter.

cornrichard

I put some silver stars in to replace my headlights. I put them in in September and have not driven at night once in that time. They work great in my car and motorcycle.

gpp111

thanks. I am going to have a ten ton tag-along trailer made that has 24 volt lighting (also 24 volt ABS brakes), as well as NATO style plug. Will use this to pull my halftrack.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighurt

I think someone needs to wire up a pig tail tester, and post the schematic.

Mine doesn't work either, but it maybe the trailer.

reefmaker

Does anyone know how much a 7155 Cat tramission weighs. I have a M916 and need to fix my shifter on the trans. I purchased a junk transmission on Govliquidation to pratice on and for spare parts. They say it weghes 1500 lbs. It will cost me $900+ to ship. It can't weigh that much, can it?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know how much a 7155 Cat tramission weighs. I have a M916 and need to fix my shifter on the trans. I purchased a junk transmission on Govliquidation to pratice on and for spare parts. They say it weghes 1500 lbs. It will cost me $900+ to ship. It can't weigh that much, can it?
Every bit of 1500 lbs!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is the difference between the 916 and the 920 other than the tag axle, wheel base?
I might be in the mood for one, just dont know which one to pick. The tag does me no good since I dont haul heavy, the wheel base would be nice for a smoother ride, but when I would be driving it smooth really wont be an issue.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what is the difference between the 916 and the 920 other than the tag axle, wheel base?
I might be in the mood for one, just dont know which one to pick. The tag does me no good since I dont haul heavy, the wheel base would be nice for a smoother ride, but when I would be driving it smooth really wont be an issue.
In addition to what you said, the 920 weighs about 3000 lbs more. The 916 carries a spare tire and the 920 does not, though with 14 total tires, you should be able to find a spare among one of them. 916 should have a tighter turning radius. I have no real reason to believe this, but it seems like there are less 916s than 920s.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks