• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m920 broken axle

R Racing

After doing some hunting online and Castle Bravo really getting my curiosity up I found a online TM ( I need to find that 1 in paper) and he is indeed correct . So hopefully the axle from e bay does the trick. I'll let you know how how it goes when the new axle shows up. Thanks for everyones help in this matter :beer:

R Racing

Here is a update. Pulled Axles out and neither broken ? but the drivers tire and axle are not engaging in rear? Pulled the pumpkin ( its a detroit Locker so both axles should always be engaged ) stuck the axle in the gear and it spun freely ?? Went home and grabbed spare pumpkin and was going to swap pumpkin for punpkin. But after cleaning up the spare there was too much rust damage to the ring gear to use. So I took appart my original locker and found the allignment ring had spun on the spider gear and was holding the axle gear from engaging with the spider gear. I'll post pictures later. But I realigned the ring ,axle gear , and spider and all is good and locks up ;-)

R Racing

1st picture close up of locker appart.
2nd picture alignment dog on spider gear.
3rd alignment ring gap thats suppose to have its opening between the dog on the spider gear.
4th back together.

Attachments

goldneagle

So did you learn anything from this experience? Alway check the damage before ordering parts. Also a famous George Carlin line. You should never assume. When you assume you make an ass out of u and me

fat lady sings

Oh BTW nice job on the repair. I would not have a clue as to what to do or what was wrong![thumbzup]

Last edited:

R Racing

Unfortunately Its really hard to dissasemble a rear of a m920 on a 18 percent grade ( also not safe) Don't mind I bought a axle at all. I have 2 trucks that use the same part. The shop I was at wanted to send the locker out ( as they had never had 1 appart and didn't want to touch it) I have rebuilt rears in the past ( just not 1s this large LOL ) I was happy to get it back on the road again. ;-)

Bighurt

I give you credit for jumping into that pumpkin! Looking and finding the problem. WAY TO GO!!!2cents2cents
I give Jim's back the credit...

Unfortunately Its really hard to dissasemble a rear of a m920 on a 18 percent grade ( also not safe) Don't mind I bought a axle at all. I have 2 trucks that use the same part. The shop I was at wanted to send the locker out ( as they had never had 1 appart and didn't want to touch it) I have rebuilt rears in the past ( just not 1s this large LOL ) I was happy to get it back on the road again. ;-)
Good Job Jim, only thing that would stop me is getting it out. Them things ain't small and I tend to work by myself. Post the results when she moves again!

Cheers.

R Racing

Thanks Guys! Did a 60 mile ride and all is good . Now to sometime soon get the 1600s on it,And trailer back home. then M917 fixed and back to the ranch ;-)

Coldfusion21

Props for getting in there and finding the problem! Also great job snapping a few pics and letting us know what happened, it's a great resource for others!

Between this and your tranny valve body/manifold thread you've been a great help to the community and to all the people snagging these bigger trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks