• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 just bought, wonder about mileage

idahosinker

I just bought TWO M923 on the 20th.
I hope to pick them up tomorrow.
One shows 29 hours and 299 miles
The other is much older.
39 hours and just under 800 miles.
They said in the video that the engines were made by Dresser, but they are Cummins 8.3L
I am guessing that maybe Dresser did the rebuild?
But what I really wanted to know was what does it mean when they reset the mileage.
I the video the air gages looked to be 120 on one and maybe 100 on the other. It was a little hard to read.
They both need batteries.
Anyone got a idea.:p:D

MtnSnow

I assume you got these thru GL? If so you can post the link to them in hopes of getting more detailed replies...

usually during a "rebuild/overhaul" it is very common for the odometer &/or hour meters to be reset/replaced back to zero.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, we want pictures posted, not link that go dead later on.

Also the rules request a state in your location.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It needs to be listed in your location.

Our rules request no links posted that are known to go dead in time(GL links do).

Your truck may have been sitting for years with no maintence. They are surplus items . There is no reason to beleive they are roadworthy at this time, even if the video shows them running. just a heads up.

Cruceno

That truck looks like its gone through a rebuild to me. They probably reset/replaced the hours and odometer then. I don't know about all the rebuilds, but most will include a dataplate below or near the original dataplate that indicates when and where it was rebuilt. Sometimes GL will show that in their photos, but I didn't see it in that listing.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, try to post in the correct forum.

I'll move it to the 5 ton forums now.

idahosinker

Thats for the replies, I am sure it has been sitting. It had Card in plastic tied to the dash, I am thinking maybe that what was done to it.
The tires looked like they had good air, which I am hoping the air systems are ok. A lot of trucks have one or more tires low or flat.
The engine ran and it moved which I am hoping I am lucky. I will see.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries.

KaiserM109

I just bought TWO M923 on the 20th.
I hope to pick them up tomorrow.
One shows 29 hours and 299 miles
The other is much older.
39 hours and just under 800 miles.
They said in the video that the engines were made by Dresser, but they are Cummins 8.3L
I am guessing that maybe Dresser did the rebuild?
But what I really wanted to know was what does it mean when they reset the mileage.
I the video the air gages looked to be 120 on one and maybe 100 on the other. It was a little hard to read.
They both need batteries.
Anyone got a idea.
Were you told that they need batteries, or are you assuming that because they said it needs a jump?

I have bought 2 "does not run" trucks and both had NEW batteries. One had a loose battery connector and the other batteries were just discharged. Don't spend $$ on batteries until you know. Since the posting says that "GL does not have jumping cables", you ought to see if you can borrow a set of batteries, OR buy a small generator and a heavy duty charger.

On my last recovery I found myself in the middle of a parking lot with dead batteries (because I didn’t turn off all the switches). I already had a Stanley BC4009 40 amp 12 volt charger from Lowes, so I bought a 700 watt generator to run it. Your 923s will have 4 batteries. If the truck has been run recently, it will start on 2 but I doubt that those will.

So that I can charge all batteries at once from a 12 volt source, I went to an auto parts store and bought 4 pairs of large alligator clips (not as large as jumpers) and some heavy wire and made up four 24 inch cables, two with black on both ends and 2 with red on both ends. I disconnected one end of each of the short cables between the two batteries, then connected the negative posts to the negative rail and positive posts to the positive rail. They sucked up 40 amps total for about 10 minutes, then started slowly going down. In about 2 hr. the total draw had dropped to below 8 (2 for each battery), so I pulled off the jumpers and reconnected the cables. It started with a little help from a can of ether.

Unless you can come up with 4 fresh batteries or a jump start, that is the only way I know that you are going to get them started. They have automatic transmissions, so you can’t pull or push start them.

idahosinker

Thanks much for the info.
I am flying down so I am limited on tools.
I am going to stop a WalMart and buy 4 batteries. Two per truck. I will sort them out when get home. I get the feeling that these trucks have sat a while, from the dust.
I hope to get the batteries in fast and get off the property. I am debating about lubing the fittings. The miles are 299, and just under 800.
Its 600 miles home. I will check the fluids but I bet they will look ok with such low miles since referb. I was going to drive down, but I could not get two others to go. I got a friend and we will fly down. If I had driven down I was going to bring a lot of tools. I wish I could have got a loading dock and just drove my car on to the bed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be prepared to rebuild the air dryers before driving them 600 miles.

KaiserM109

Thanks much for the info.
I am flying down so I am limited on tools. I am going to stop a WalMart and buy 4 batteries. Two per truck ...
I doubt that you can start those trucks on two batteries from WalMart. If you’re determined to buy batteries, buy the biggest WalMart has and a few cans of starter fluid. Start out by putting all of them in one truck and starting it. Run it ‘til they’re charged up again, then jump that truck to the other using the heaviest duty jumpers you can buy.

The batteries in the trucks (4 each) are probably in good condition, just discharged, and I still think your money would be better spent buying a fancy charger ($95) a small generator ($150) and making up four short jumpers ($5) each than four batteries at $120 + $15 core charge each (just went there for a Crown Victoria). You can make up the small jumpers ahead of time and fit them into your luggage. Lowes, Home Depot or Harbor Freight can give you a decent deal and you can call them from Idaho to find them.

Good traveling and I hope your weather holds.

PS RE Driving: My wife and I rented a car a year + ago to go from Denver to Georga to pick up a truck. it turned out to be a smart deal because the trudk threw a belt in Jackson, MS and I had the tools to deal with it. Your trip is a lot shorter and without someone there ahead of you to examine the trucks, you are betting a lot, especially with two trucks to give you trouble.

You can get LOTS of good qdvice through this web site, but if you don't have tools, you won't be able to do much with it. See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...nded-in-Kansas-with-Air-Brake-Issue&highlight=

Last edited:

MtnSnow

Which way are you planning on driving home? There are a couple of us in the SLC area if you get into a bind

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like an adventure in the making. Those units might run like a top or crap out 5 miles down the road. Can they be moved to private property and then gone over? I've recovered fresh "reset trucks that ran perfect and one that ended up with a bad piston sleeve (oil in the coolent). Truck had 12 hrs and 212 miles, looked brand new, never made it home. Batteries are easily charged separatly (time consuming) and then some other batteries never recovered. Tractor Supply carries the large tractor battery for around $136/ea. Two will start a five ton no problem and they fit the battery box.
Keep us posted and read up on other recoveries.( and the operator's manual) Recoveries are all fun some are more fun than others.
JC