• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 on fire

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen PCBs "explode" (have the bottom fall out) as the result of a fire(not the cause).

Only speculating but, maybe a battery disconnect (on the ground) could have prevented this.

Please keep us informed if you had insurance, and how that goes.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the past, the M939 series trucks had a flaw that caused MANY to burst into flames. There is a power cable that crosses underneath of the cab and often sits right on top of the transmission. This cable gets hot...and melts the insulation away. Years ago, you'd often see burnt M939 series trucks come out. The last one that I recall came out of NJ and Dave Newman of Eastern Surplus got it. I thought I read that the military had a "fix" for this that either further insulated that cable or raised it above the transmission. I can't remember the details, but maybe someone can find the article.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my first place away from home, I had a small dwarf rabbit that I let run all over inside. He was even litter trained. But after a short period found he had chewed every extension cord, cable tv wire, telephone cord etc right down to the wire that had juice going though it. Obviously he was getting "charged" by biting. I talked to a vet and he confirmed they like doing it similar to squirrels on electricity lines not only to gnaw down their teeth but they get a "kick" from the electricity. They seem to sense or know that the wires are hot.

Rabbits and Rats/rodents and in my parts raccoons/possums are some incredibly destructive animals. Absolutely nothing cute about them.

Scarecrow1

I am so sorry for your loss. Maybe it's the paranoid side of me but, It sat for three months and then poof? I find it hard to believe that it was a short. Most shorts will drain the battery and or blow fusses and or breakers but, smolder for three months I find hard to believe . Not to start an argument but, I will be putting my cut off on the positive side not the ground . Some say six of one a half dozen of the other . The reason is the truck is grounded more than one place in the system so in a fluke it is possible for a ground to be established but, you cut the positive side and it's all over. It wouldn't matter if a rat or rabbit chewed it's self to death no power no short. There is no other power supply except if the truck is running. I never leave the battery box open because of the theft possibilities. Most don't even know where they are so it's harder for them to steel what they can't find. Again sorry for your loss.....

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it was ........

wait for it............

FIRE ANTS??

Seriously, too bad that happened. I worry more about fuel leaks causing a fire, than batteries.

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we came to a conclusion today, that the slave cable was rubbing against the weapons support plate, with the little earthquicks we've been having here in So Cal area. It finally rubbed through, and shorted it self out. with the 4 hot 6TLs it create it a **** of a fire.

o1951

Sorry for your loss, hate to see a good truck trashed.
As these vehicles age, things can deteriorate in concealed places, sometimes helped by furry critters.
If a vehicle is going to be parked for a while, for a number of reasons, suggest pulling a cable off one terminal of every battery.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries normally don't give off explosive gas (hydrogen) unless they are being charged. I'd vote of a short somewhere also. I've seen it happen many times on civilian big trucks.

With 24V, or 12v batteries in parallel, you have a lot of current in those batteries looking for ground. You give it a path and it will put a arc welder to shame.

Seeing stuff like this makes me want to put a battery disconnect at the batteries on my trucks.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was close. Regardless, any owners of M939 series trucks should also make sure that the electrical cables that run underneath the cab are NOT sitting on their transmissions.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks big-time but its good you figured out what the probable cause was.

In the Netherlands - and many other places - Martens are a well-know cause of car damage by dedicated chewing through power cables. I once joined some colleagues radio-tracking several martens and we observed one going under a car and enjoing himself. Reports of cars with destroyed wire harnasses and battery cables are ample there, but no reports of cars catching fire due to such events.

In northern BC, while observing mountain sheep, we had a male porcupine chewing through our gas tube to the stove. No idea why they do it, although rubber from car wires can taste sweetish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks