• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 with roll cage and tall hardtop

tobyS

I'm with you FormerNewMVGuy!!! There is a lot to it that is hard to understand with these few. If you want, send them to my email seilertechco@yahoo.com. I don't know if there are space limits on SS. This seems more than an add on, it is a frame up system. I need to change my name to "outbid"... for all the messages I get from GL. OK I just posted and more are there...THANKS swbradley1.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You pop the old cab off and put one of these on. The rectangular sub-frame is connected via rubber mounts to the chassis frame.

tobyS

There seems to be quite a bit of sub-frame. Are there only the four corner posts. The second photo of the second series seems to show a diagonal. Have you ever compared to a standard 900 series cab... like for a modification that does not alter the roof line so much?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are at least three members that run across the cab from driver to pass. Two in front and one in back. One in front is angled and you can see that it angles from the cab towards the engine and above the bell housing. The straight one runs above the transmission.

The truck belongs to another member on here and I need to see what transmission it has.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is an Allison 3500SP push-button transmission. Looks new as it has no road dirt, grime or mud on it and just a little of the aluminium white surface corrosion (dust).

Slaved air off my 813 and got it up to about 65lbs. Brakes seem to function or at least I hear them when I hit the pedal. Aired the low tire up for a half an hour before my arms got tired from holding the chuck on. Got it up to 60 and it could probably go to 80.

Need batteries because they are deader than a Kipper on a cracker. I won't even try to jump it off any truck. That's how I smoke checked my last alternator.

20130630_160251[1].jpg20130630_160306[1].jpg20130630_160519[1].jpg

srodocker

thats the same transmission setup in our internationals at work. 6 speed is waht ours is. Very smooth in my opinion. better then the new freightliners we got with a automatic clutch...

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is an Allison 3500SP push-button transmission. Looks new as it has no road dirt, grime or mud on it and just a little of the aluminium white surface corrosion (dust).

Slaved air off my 813 and got it up to about 65lbs. Brakes seem to function or at least I hear them when I hit the pedal. Aired the low tire up for a half an hour before my arms got tired from holding the chuck on. Got it up to 60 and it could probably go to 80.

Need batteries because they are deader than a Kipper on a cracker. I won't even try to jump it off any truck. That's how I smoke checked my last alternator.

View attachment 437270View attachment 437271View attachment 437272

:drool: So is that your truck? Or are you holding it for someone?

caliber1

Just hope you don't have problems with that cats derriere, last one I replaced in a coach was around $1200. They are neat though, you can get your trans codes and diagnose if you have problems. Had a client leave the drivers window open for a week, the shift pad is to the left of the driver in most coaches. They don't like that much water.
Okay. I took pics of it, a lot.

I'll put a few up and if anyone wants to see more let me know.

The first is passenger side rear. Then passenger side front. Then drivers door frame.

View attachment 435502View attachment 435503View attachment 435504

The frame is rectangular on the bottom and tubular inside cab. Each corner of the top has bolts holding the top tubes into larger bottom tubes that are then welded to the frame below the cab floor. In the pic of the door frame there are tubes that arc around to the door frame from the roll cage and the door frame itself is NOT sheet metal cab, it is square tube steel and it looks to be an integral part of the protection system.

The last pic is the cat's derriere. Push button transmission.

View attachment 435505

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was showing a picture of one of those trucks to a customer of mine. He was in the 75th Airborne Rangers until 2006. He said they had some of those trucks in Iraq, and he had used one with a 40mm grenade launcher mounted on a ring on top of the cab. "I could lay down one **** of a lot of fire with that thing".

He also stated that they were not armored, just some kevlar in the doors and floor. Good for small arms but nothing bigger.

It's an ugly truck but I like it.

Any idea who bought that expensive one that was at Herlong?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, there is nothing to indicate armor in anyway shape or form on these cabs. The first picture does not even have the roll cage in it.

tobyS

The cab first posted is different than the modification you posted pictures of, camoyj7. There are lots of frame members (floor area) built into the first one that are original to the cab and could not have been added later. The one you posted appears to be going over an existing cab. They appear to be doing the same thing, but the munster mobile #1 seems to have had the entire cab replaced. Thanks for photo's.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cab in the Munster Mobile seems to have the firewall integrated into it, the armored cab obviously is slipping over the firewall (or something).

I think the doors on the Munster Mobile may have Kevlar inside since they feel heavier than a normal door.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The uparmored ones have plates added to the firewall by the pcb box, heater box, and plates underneath. You can see one of the extra plates in the crane pic painted sand.

The theory of the munster mobile as a trainer sounds good or a development prototype as clearly it does not look like the ones with armor applied or ballastic windows/windshields.

tobyS

How hard is it to get a cab off and replaced? I could see making some major modifications (inspired by this thread), adding structure, roll protection, cab extension and diamond plate roof (replace soft top) with one off. Have crane.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks