• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 failure, need input.

TXFirefighter

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You asked so....
Yes, is the short answer. If there is cavitation pitting on 1 liner, the others have it to. They just have not been damaged to the point of leaking.
Big gamble to do 1 cylinder and not the others. Safe thing is to do all 6 cylinder kits.

Cummins shows an installation tool but we normally used an oak block and a BFH to seat the liners in the block. Every so often we would encounter a liner that drifted upwards before the heads were installed. For them I had an aluminum bar that I had drilled holes in at the correct spacing. I then used shortened head bolts to clamp the liner down until just before setting the cylinder head in place.

elkhtr

You asked so....
Yes, is the short answer. If there is cavitation pitting on 1 liner, the others have it to. They just have not been damaged to the point of leaking.
Big gamble to do 1 cylinder and not the others. Safe thing is to do all 6 cylinder kits.

Cummins shows an installation tool but we normally used an oak block and a BFH to seat the liners in the block. Every so often we would encounter a liner that drifted upwards before the heads were installed. For them I had an aluminum bar that I had drilled holes in at the correct spacing. I then used shortened head bolts to clamp the liner down until just before setting the cylinder head in place.
Yeah, that was the answer my research returned also.
Doesn't hurt to hope though,right.
Thanks for the installation tip.
Currently I am waiting to hear from another member about an engine that he offered.
As soon as he returns from business we will see what happens.
If all works out, I'll drop in his, then dig into mine as time allows.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are looking for replacement engines, watch your state forestry departments equipment auctions, they are turning in all series of trucks if they can get the newer Freightliners, and they sell pretty cheap! I picked up a 932 for under $1500.IMG_0277.jpg

elkhtr

If you are looking for replacement engines, watch your state forestry departments equipment auctions, they are turning in all series of trucks if they can get the newer Freightliners, and they sell pretty cheap! I picked up a 932 for under $1500.View attachment 529469
Thanks for the tip.
Haven't seen much of our type of iron come from Washington state, but I'll take a look.
Nice score by the way!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was in good enough shape I dove it 80 miles home towing my 818! It was running a straight pipe, I am glade I carried hearing protection!