• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 oils

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to check to see what kind of fluid is already in the transmission, but it is probably 10 weight. I always go with Dexron, but the latest fluid is TRANSYND (synthetic). I have spoken to my local Allison shop and asked them what they would recommend in the tranny, and it is NOT 10 weight oil. They suggest the synthetic...it is probably better...or Dexron. I suggest taking the truck to an Allison dealer and having them change the fluid. I believe they'll be able to get like 75% out during each change so it will take multiple changes to get rid of whatever is in there. The power steering fluid is probably 10 weight, too, but I use standard power steering fluid. I believe they are basically the same with the power steering fluid having extra additives.

I would check your dip stick to see if its red or yellow. They put 15/40 in some,Dexron III,OEA,10w according to the TM-9-2320-272-10.I have had some trucks with 15/40 or 10w and I have had some that have had dexron. If its to low to check unscrew your external trans filter and see what color it is.

paulrance

Banned
Think someone answered my question. There is a dipstick on the 939A2 for transmission? Working on downloading the tm.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one truck that has Dexron III in it (well I think so) and all the other have oil looking color in them.
The problem I see with the TranSynd it cost a lot and if the truck is working ok I would not fix it. Just my thinking.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one truck that has Dexron III in it (well I think so) and all the other have oil looking color in them.
The problem I see with the TranSynd it cost a lot and if the truck is working ok I would not fix it. Just my thinking.
You are making a valid point. It all depends upon whether or not you want to adhere with the original manufacturer's recommendations. My Allison dealer told me what Allison recommends. If you bought a transmission from them, and put 10W or 15W40 in a new transmission, and it failed, I believe you'd void the warranty. Call them up and ask. I recognize that our transmissions are no longer under warranty, but I don't have the money to buy a replacement (at least I don't want to spend the money). Your point is basically, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and you are correct. Our trucks rarely get driven hard and the mileage is limited (usually). Still, I went through the trouble of changing fluids to coincide with Allison's recommendation. I will add that they did not seem REALLY concerned that the transmission had 10 weight oil in it, but they asked me if I wanted that back it, or the recommended fluid.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is why would the military install something that would be unreliable in a battle situation.
If they though it was reliable and has proven itself to be why would you change.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is why would the military install something that would be unreliable in a battle situation.
If they though it was reliable and has proven itself to be why would you change.
I think that they wanted parts/fluids commonality. As you can see, and is proven by all of the trucks coming out, other fluids besides Dexron and Transynd work. I have been told that Dexron is nothing more than 10W oil with additives, and I'd think that Transynd is the same except it is synthetic. I suspect that the figured it would work for as long as they needed. Remember, most of these trucks have fewer than 30,000 miles on them. In civilian hands, these same trucks would have 100K, 200K or more miles on them. So, they probably figured that they'd get enough miles out of them. That is the only thing I can figure. I can't cite test figures or research that has been done; I can only tell you what I was told by my local Allison dealer. Call the one closest to you and ask them what they recommend (not what would work). Regarding my last point, I read somewhere that WATER is an emergency substitute for fluid in these transmissions. I can't recall where I read that, but I definitely did and it might have been on this list. I don't expect you'd get many miles out of that transmission, but it might get you out of harm's way.

paulrance

Banned
I checked mine today. It sure looks like 10wt oil BKubu. And looks fairly new, now i gotta figure to have a dealer flush it and put proper fluid in it, or just run it. It runs good but id like to get many years out This truck.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, the 10W40 is a "proper" oil for the transmission. I just recently left a heavy duty OEM and we installed Allison transmissions behind Cummins engines every day with 15W40 as that was spec'd by the end user, and authorized by Allison. It had no effect on warranty at all. Is it the "best", I don't know. But there is nothing wrong at all with using it. Now there are lots of people who will have opinions, but that's what they are. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars flushing and reflushing.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to have an M977 (my avatar) that was a fairly (to me) expensive vehicle. Once I realized it had what I thought was the wrong fluid in the transmission (based upon what I was told by Allison), the decision was easy...swap it out and do it a few more times to get rid of all of the 10W. I have owned M939 series trucks longer than most. I bought my first in September 2001. I point that out because, when I started with them, parts were hard to find and expensive. So, as soon as I got a truck, I'd take it to Allison to have the fluid in the transmission swapped. Again, I am pointing this out because it seems there are M939 series trucks on this list being parted out regularly (heck, John Appel seems to be parting a truck every other week...perhaps, they are the same threads that are getting bumped). My point is that parts are now plentiful and fairly cheap. You can get a tranny for about a grand. That is a lot less than the $6K or so I paid to have mine rebuilt a while back by Allison. Admittedly, it came with a factory warranty, but I'd NEVER do that again. Too expensive. So, given that your fluid is clean, and the truck shifts fine, I think you'd be OK to leave it. Just knowing what is in it is half the battle because now you can top if off with the same fluid if needed. Unless you work the truck, you probably put less than 1,000 miles on it a year and you will probably sell the truck before anything would even get close to wearing out. Good luck.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First of all, the 10W40 is a "proper" oil for the transmission. I just recently left a heavy duty OEM and we installed Allison transmissions behind Cummins engines every day with 10W40 as that was spec'd by the end user, and authorized by Allison. It had no effect on warranty at all. Is it the "best", I don't know. But there is nothing wrong at all with using it. Now there are lots of people who will have opinions, but that's what they are. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars flushing and reflushing.
Well, my info was not my personal opinion and I stated that. I was told that by an Allison dealer in Landover, MD. I was told that 10W oil was fine, but they would RECOMMEND Transynd or, barring that, Dexron. I went with Dexron. I never asked about 10W40. Perhaps, they would have the same response about that as they had about the 10W. As I said in a previous post, they did not seem troubled by the 10W, only that this is NOT what they would recommend. Acceptable and recommended are two different things. Again, maybe they have changed their positions on this. This was a few years back, but it is the most current and trusted info (straight from the dealer) that I have.

RustyM923

Im sorry to ask 10w40. Motor oil or transmission oil. New to big truck
Warning: I'm no expert....

The military uses 10w (hydraulic fluid) or Dexron III. 10w40 (motor oil) isn't listed in the Allison MT Mechanic's Manual.

Dexron III
10w
15w40
30w
40w
are suggested.

Also 00w20 for arctic conditions...if you need that sort of thing.
You probably want to stay with something that's Allison C4 spec approved.

For the power steering, you can use 10w. It's also called "Power Steering Fluid" or hydraulic oil.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The military uses 10w (hydraulic fluid) or Dexron III. 10w40 (motor oil) isn't listed in the Allison MT Mechanic's Manual.

Dexron III
10w
15w40
30w
40w
are suggested.

For the power steering, you can use 10w. It's also called "Power Steering Fluid" or hydraulic oil.
I liked your disclosure. I should have used the same thing.

That 10W and Dexron are listed because I was told that the former is basically the latter minus the additives.

TTdogs

Dexron III
10w
15w40
30w
40w
are suggested.

The different oils all fall into different ideal ambient temperature operating ranges with Dexron being the lowest. (excluding the 00w20)

There are other oils that meet or exceed Transynd specs. that will work. I just switched to Schaeffers Alltrans 204S which is the same thing I use in my Dodge and Ford AT's. and there are others available. Even under warranty as long as the oil you are using meets Allisons specs you are fine.

My 923A2 shifts much smoother now than it did with the original oil.

Last edited: