• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 shredding serpentine belts

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing a used one for $90, search cummins part # 3925568. Also 5.9 cummins balancer looks sneakingly similar, but I have no idea if they would work.

If you weren’t in a hurry you could, put an add in “parts wanted” see what pops up, but kind of already showed your hand on what your willing to pay...

Ecscnvb

Seeing a used one for $90, search cummins part # 3925568. Also 5.9 cummins balancer looks sneakingly similar, but I have no idea if they would work.

If you weren’t in a hurry you could, put an add in “parts wanted” see what pops up, but kind of already showed your hand on what your willing to pay...
Where did u get part number

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two pieces, likely bonded together with a thin layer of rubber, total speculation looking at the pictures and recollection of how other balancers are made. Could maybe pop it apart, clean it up and braze it back together until you can find a cheaper used one?
The rubber bonds it together , it is also what takes the vibration out . Brazing it back together would most likely lead to a broken crank , there are certain parts it just doesn't pay to go the cheap route on , it will cost you in the long run.

74M35A2

I think you already bought it, but I have a contact for a diesel engine core supplier. It is where I bought my ISL Jake brake setup from. Don’t use one from a 5.9L, each is tuned to a specific resonant engine frequency.

Normal stuff in your pic. Daughter, truck, boats, shipping container, Bobcat forks, propane tank, camper, and a Ford? Ugh... Head gaskets jump out of it yet if it is diesel? Spark plugs jump out if it is a gasser.

I also have a secret source for parts, but I can’t tell you, because it is a secret.

Last edited:

Ecscnvb

The rubber bonds it together , it is also what takes the vibration out . Brazing it back together would most likely lead to a broken crank , there are certain parts it just doesn't pay to go the cheap route on , it will cost you in the long run.
Agreed. No to mention this truck pays my bills

Ecscnvb

I think you already bought it, but I have a contact for a diesel engine core supplier. It is where I bought my ISL Jake brake setup from. Don’t use one from a 5.9L, each is tuned to a specific resonant engine frequency.

Normal stuff in your pic. Daughter, truck, boats, shipping container, Bobcat forks, propane tank, camper, and a Ford? Ugh... Head gaskets jump out of it yet if it is diesel? Spark plugs jump out if it is a gasser.

I also have a secret source for parts, but I can’t tell you, because it is a secret.
Stupid 6.0 with 600 hp and 1200 ft pounds of torque. 12v going in soon. How hard and how much is the jake brake for 923? Send me engine dude too if u can. Do u like isl motor? Oh tell me the secret. Thanks in advance. Nic by the way u never pmd ur number

74M35A2

Jake was $500 for the complete system, ISL is the smallest engine an engine compression brake is made for. Seek build thread "Power Surge" and "Transmission swap", I have a 13 speed Road Ranger hanging off the back of it. Not installed yet. Awaiting the ice to melt off the street as it will need to be towed back to my house for swap completion. Phone # PM'd again.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jake was $500 for the complete system, ISL is the smallest engine an engine compression brake is made for. Seek build thread "Power Surge" and "Transmission swap", I have a 13 speed Road Ranger hanging off the back of it. Not installed yet. Awaiting the ice to melt off the street as it will need to be towed back to my house for swap completion. Phone # PM'd again.
Ice should be gone this weekend .

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did u get part number

There are several different part numbers that pop up when you search the NSN.

Eastern Surplus has a used A2 damper listed under this part number, Jason O listed this part number in his thread https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Check-your-balancer-pulley-vibration-dampers.

3925568 may also cross with Case IH part number j925568, which seems to pop more when searched, and looks like a lot of cheaper, new aftermarket options. Will Wagner would be much better suited to verify all, if any differences, and cross compatibility.

Did you get your new one from Cummins yet? Please post up the part # they sold you.

74M35A2

<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PCD3RZH" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe>
User: shannon69 | Contact Us
[h=1]Parts Catalog - Option Detail
[/h]
PRINT OPTION DETAIL
Electronic Parts Catalog - Option Detail
OptionGroupGraphicFilm CardDate
DA902201.02.2da952gaZ05-SEP-96
Engines6C8.3, C GAS PLUS CM556, G8.3, G8.3 CM558, GTA8.3 CM558, ISC CM2150, ISC CM554, ISC CM850, ISC8.3 CM2250, ISC8.3 G CM2180 C101, ISL CM2150, ISL CM554, ISL CM850, ISL G CM2180, ISL8.9 CM2150 L110, ISL8.9 CM2880 L112, ISL9 CM2150 SN, ISL9 CM2250, ISL9 CM2350 L101, ISL9 CM2350 L111, ISLE4 CM850, L GAS PLUS CM556, L8.9, L8.9 L121, L9 CM2350 L116B, L9 CM2350 L119B, L9 CM2350 L123B, L9.3 L105, L9.5 L117, QSC8.3 CM2250, QSC8.3 CM2880 C102, QSC8.3 CM554, QSC8.3 CM850, QSL9 CM2250, QSL9 CM2250 L115, QSL9 CM2350 L102, QSL9 CM2350 L107, QSL9 CM2350 L118, QSL9 CM2350 L122, QSL9 CM554, QSL9 CM850, QSL9 G CM558, QSL9 M CM2250 L106, QSL9.3 CM2880 L113
SMALL | MEDIUM | LARGE

CartRef NoPart NumberPart DescriptionRequiredRemarks
View My Cart

DA9022

Vibration Damper

MR - DAMPER, VIBRATION

Engine Family: C Series

Damper Pulley Effective

Diameter (mm): 173.76

Damper Diameter (mm): 246.00

Damper RPM Limitation: 2200

and below

Damper Type: Rubber

Pulley Type: Cast 8 Groove

Front PTO Provision: No

Tach Pick-up Provision: No

High Inertia Damper: No

Structure Code: 02 EBM

Additional Pulley Provision:

None

To be used on applications

where governed speed or rated

speed is 2200 RPM or below.

Hexagon Flange Head Cap Screw
M14 x 1.50 x 35

Tuned Vibration Damper

This part number does not have a preset quantity. Please enter the quantity required.

Part Number:
Part Description:
Quantity:

© 2018 Cummins Inc., Box 3005, Columbus, IN 47202-3005 U.S.A.
Terms of Use and Disclaimers | Recommended System Requirements
Need Assistance? Please click on the Contact Us button in the top right corner of any page.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I never should have even suggested it. More of a get out of woods/home emergency hack, that "I" might attempt, but after seeing the pictures with the damper off, the rubber/gap is much bigger than I thought. I've got a better emergency hack in mind now, but will keep it to myself;)

74M35A2

$90 on eBay and free shipping searching that part number. One new, one used, same price either.

The print out I pasted above is from Cummins Quickserve website, free for public use. I used my M925a2 engine serial number for the diagram. Anybody with a Cummins engine should have it and know how to use it. Pics, diagrams, part numbers, and quantities all displayed. Service manual is there also for torque values, system descriptions, etc.... It is valuable, in addition to the TM of course. Gives you a direct path to find and purchase the correct parts you need directly with dealers, since they are civilian engines.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$90 on eBay and free shipping searching that part number. One new, one used, same price either.
Edit: slow typing...
I see reference to under 2200 RPM in post #50, I wonder the part number for higher RPM agricultural and marine applications, and if they would benefit those that have cranked the revs up on their trucks?

Last edited:

74M35A2

Not really benefit. Each damper is tuned via mass and elastomer to a specific very narrow operating RPM. A lower RPM one will not fly apart or explode if used marginally faster, it is just not tuned to absorb harmful harmonics at a higher RPM spec engine. You want the balancer for the RPM you will be continually operating at.

Maybe your brazed ones could be sold as hi-po, or space age materials. If you need them unintentionally welded, you know where to send them. Just drop it down between my starter and oil filter, and wait for the show.....

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really benefit. Each damper is tuned via mass and elastomer to a specific very narrow operating RPM. A lower RPM one will not fly apart or explode if used marginally faster, it is just not tuned to absorb harmful harmonics at a higher RPM spec engine. You want the balancer for the RPM you will be continually operating at.

Maybe your brazed ones could be sold as hi-po, or space age materials. If you need them unintentionally welded, you know where to send them. Just drop it down between my starter and oil filter, and wait for the show.....
Sounds like we need a video of that .rofl

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I may or may not have burnt a hole in a forklift oil filter, while jumping the starter with a screw driver.
12 volts, so lame... 24v, I probably could have gotten the oil to ignite.

74M35A2

I can tell you that 24v across those points in a 9 vaporizes the ground wires in the chassis under-hood harness, resulting in said harness afire, and a wife drinking lemonade on the back deck saying "I don't think it is supposed to do that.". 12v is for beginners. Step up to 24 and get some. I've never seen the conductor of a wire disappear, and leave the insulation tube of the wire behind. HowToMakeRubberTubingFromWiring.com

Ecscnvb

Phone is broke waiting on new one. Barely wrote this. Will get part # on here, and more responses asap . Sorry for delay.

mikey

Adding pics to this thread to help others as my damper just came off, and this thread confused some in the first 2 pages. The damper is two pieces bonded together by rubber. As others have stated, the rubber is what performs the dampening that's crucial for the cam. So if the rubber lets go, half of the damper slides off and the other half stays bolted firmly to the cam.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks