• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 weak point.

maxtor

Just wondering what is the weak point for the M923a2. I want to try and pull some stumps out, and I don't know what will give up first, The stump, the tire traction, the transmission, U-joints, ?????

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Large stump traction
Small stump truck
Good traction who knows who will win stump or truck

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your chain.

You own a truck, not a stump grinder/remover.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was pulling small stumps with a M936 and broke a big log chain. Unless it is a very small stump I'd either pay someone to grind the stump out or dig it out with a backhoe or trackhoe. If you do elect to pull it put a few tons of ballast in the rear.

KsM715

Do what you want but dont pull it in reverse low. (beleive it or not Ive seen many many people try to pull stuff out by using reverse, always a bad idea)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of tree is it? Pine? I would not worry too much? Hardwood like an oak or maple, call in the tree experts. If you do try it, make sure people stand clear of the chain.

jw4x4

Stumps need to be dug out, not pulled out. Even a small stump is amazingly stout. If you insist on pulling, get as much weight as you can in the bed of the truck.

jedawson1

My experience is that traction will break first empty. Loaded and your likely to break the truck.
What diameter is the stump and how tall is it? I've pushed thousands of stumps with a D5 dozer and even some 12'' diameter oaks can give a medium dozer a work out.

jedawson1

My neighbor cut down his 12" cherry tree and left 6' of trunk, we wet the ground and chained up high, then wet the ground. Root ball came out no problem.
Leverage can move the world.

Julian

Different varieties of trees vary greatly in how well they are attached to the ground. We found that you can pull up a big tree and leave a hole in the ground worse than a stump. It will be easier to grind a stump down than fill the hole left by pulling up the entire tree. Two 5 tons can break a 3/8 chain easily without even jerking on it and that was with no ballast in the back. We found that there is an optimum range for removing trees with the 5 ton- too big to dig out by hand, but not so big to leave a huge hole in the ground. The tree root that comes out also is hard to move without a large loader.

61sleepercab

Old fashion method i have heard of: HOG POWER 1.fence in stump hog tight. 2. dig post holes near root ball ,fill half full with shelled corn 3. add hog,stand back

4. repeat step 2 introducing corn to bottom of dig. 5. remove hog, remove stump. DONE

Hogs like corn and like to root in earth. Clear lots of stumps and then eat hog. Mark

HASSON1911

drill holes and put some potassium nitrate(old stump remover not the new stuff) in them and then put a bag over it and let it sit. cheaper than a 3k dollar truck

maxtor

Some good idea's here.
The stumps are Eucalyptus, and vary from two foot diameter to three foot diameter. There are about twelve to remove. Our local stump grinder died from an accident last year. I will try to have a local backhoe operator work around the bases, then give the truck a try. The potassium nitrate might be the best solution. I just did not want to damage the truck if there is a weak point, like the transmission.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Max there really is no weak point these were used by military. Come on . All joking aside I hooked mine to big tree just as a test to see if I had lockers. You will lose traction before you tear any thing up I had all 6 tires spinning in high and low. Just do not pull any thing in low range backwards as it will damage the transfer case. Most likely you break a chain or strap first. Was pulling trees off my land with my deuce and broke three straps and no harm to deuce.