• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 won't start once warm

EricTheRed

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here on SS and I'm in need of some serious help. I've got a great-condition M923A2 and everything work well (including CTIS). Only problem is that since it's been cold here in Wyoming, there have been a few times that it refuses to start. Batteries are good, voltage is good, etc. Occasionally, when I need to start it back up - say, after a dinner drive - it won't even try to crank, i.e., the starter doesn't engage. Lights come on, blower motor works, just no cranking. She starts up fine from dead cold and runs great, but after she's warm, and I cut the engine off, sometimes it's no go. Right now she's dead in the Grocery store parking lot here in Jackson. So, I'm really scratching my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Eric

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Bad starter or bad protective control box maybe. Check all the battery connections and connections at the starter make sure all is clean and on tight. Watch out lots of live high current non-fused connections. Do you get a click or anything when you go to start and it won't?

EricTheRed

Yes, there is a click. Pretty convinced it's coming from the control box. Also, of note: I only get that click in neutral. Makes me think it's not the neutral safety switch...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You could try jumping the starter contacts if you are stuck somewhere. If you verify that all the electrical connections are good, then you can use a meter or test light to troubleshoot. Have someone turn on and try to start the truck and see if you are getting 24v at the starter throw coil. It won't spin unless the solenoid throws. I have had a few bad starters. They are available and pretty easy to change although they are heavy.

EricTheRed

How would I go about jumping it from the starter contacts? Can that be done with a 12v vehicle, because that's l I have...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No you would do it with a screwdriver. Bad idea if you don't have mechanical experience. Let it cool down see if it starts. You can give the pcb a whack with a wrench that might help but I would bet its the starter.

5tonman1971

The PCB are about 150$ aposed to a 500$ starter. But if you wanted to be reckless and try to jump your start I would do it at the starter relay but not very safe and you could melt down your starter and relay and maybe get one heck of a zap

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=5tonman1 maybe get one heck of a zap or if you use a screw driver and touch the two big post's together it will weld the screw driver in place and keep on cranking. You must know what little the lead trip wire is and why keep a remote starter button in my tool box. Screw drivers are for screws.

Last edited:

mcmullag

for what its worth, whack the control box with something. I was showing my M923a2 to two truck mechanics who were former army truck mechanics and they joked about how often they had to whack that box to get a truck started.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first question, is starter hot to touch or the solenoid.
You say it starts when everything is dead cold.
Try pouring ice water on starter and solenoid until its dead cold.
See if it will start.

EricTheRed

Well, I have contacted the supplier for a new PCB. Jumped it at the starter, fired right up. Got her home and now to investigate this remote starter button idea. Intermittent electrical issues are loathsome. Thank you all for the info.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have contacted the supplier for a new PCB. Jumped it at the starter, fired right up. Got her home and now to investigate this remote starter button idea. Intermittent electrical issues are loathsome. Thank you all for the info.
Here is a link to a snap on 24v remote starter ; MT302BR, Switch, Remote Start, Red Handle - Snap-on
Switch, Remote Start, Red Handle
Stock#: MT302BR