• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Delco Style Alternator

JohnnyBM931A2

74m- I say go for it. You have obviously done your homework on our dilemma with charging problems. At the very least we will have a human to speak to, and I'm sure you would return a phone call. The price is well within reason with a warranty to boot . DO IT DO IT-- CHARGE -- Good luck
I'd take one too, though my alternator is currently doing fine (knock on wood.) 74M.. Do you have any pictures of the test alternator in place? Everyone loves pics :)

74M35A2

I can't, you guys will pound my door down for it. Makes so much power the vehicle will qualify as a hybrid. It generates 1.21 jigawatts.

infidel got me

That all sounds good. It should be fine and last a decent amount of time. Did he say what amperage it was rated at and how long the warranty was? If yours works out well and he wants more business, others here may want to use him.
He said it was a 100 amps and had a 6 month warranty. He also said that he seldom has any problems out of these, but if something goes wrong it usually is right away. I had other stuff done by him and never had any problems, I'm sure he would make it right if it were part failure. I'm sure it will last a lot longer than 6 months, time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

infidel got me

74m, even at 300 that is still a good deal. I was really surprised when he told me 130 plus tax. I was thinking at least 300, and I would have paid that, guess the money gods were with me that day.

todds112

The one I got is a Wilson Electric through NAPA, 70Amp. I struck out at the salvage yard, didn't have a single 6CTA. So I just ordered the one from Cummins for $90.00.

i need to get new terminals for their alternator and get them crimped on. Might have to extend the battery wire to reach the shorter alteranator as well.

Last edited:

todds112

Slowly gathering up the parts to get everything back together. Got the Cummins bracket and painted it. I made up a lower bracket to keep the stock sized belt. I couldn't find the exact size steel bar. Stock is 5/16" thick. I was given a piece that is 1/4". I imagine it will be plenty strong enough. I did sand off the paint from the mounting ears on the upper bracket so it has a good ground connection.

Hopefully it quits raining tomorrow and I can get the alternator installed.image.jpgimage.jpg

74M35A2

Yes, we do have the part number, but it is secret. We can't tell you.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...quot-Conventional-quot-Alternator-Bracket-P-N

It is better to solder the terminals on with a propane torch and then a few layers of shrink tubing. It is really easy to do, even Burger King employees could do it. You can also simply make or buy a jumper wire to connect the alternator B+ output terminal directly to the starter B+ terminal. This is how the big rigs are commonly wired up today. Maybe that is how the 939's are wired, I have not traced it out. No sense is having two high current cables back to the battery. Then just fold the original B+ charging wire over on itself and shrink tube that to itself at the end to well insulate the live end from grounding out on anything.

Chicken dinner.

todds112, could you post the NAPA/Wilson part number and price you paid for the alternator so others could take the same path if they wanted? NAPA is going Chinese lately to stay competitive with big box auto parts stores. Does the back of your purchased alternator say Delco Remy, or is there no name brand description? Also did NAPA say it was brand new, or a reman unit? Thanks.

Last edited:

todds112

The alternator is part number 90-01-4152. I paid $197 plus a $33 core charge. It does not have Delco Remy on the back of it. It is a Reman unit.
IMG_0920[1].jpg

Got it all hooked up today before the snow started to fly.
IMG_0917.jpgIMG_0918.jpgIMG_0919.jpg

Everything went in fine. I ended up not needing to extend any wires.

It puts out 26.8 V at idle, the gauge shows just barely into the green. At anything over idle (even just 50 RPM) it is putting out 28 V, which places the needle right in the middle of the gauge.

74M35A2

The alternator is part number 90-01-4152. I paid $197 plus a $33 core charge. It does not have Delco Remy on the back of it. It is a Reman unit.
View attachment 591227

Got it all hooked up today before the snow started to fly.
View attachment 591228View attachment 591229View attachment 591230

Everything went in fine. I ended up not needing to extend any wires.

It puts out 26.8 V at idle, the gauge shows just barely into the green. At anything over idle (even just 50 RPM) it is putting out 28 V, which places the needle right in the middle of the gauge.
It looks good. If it does not say "Delco Remy" on the rear of it, it is a Chinese clone, hence the price. A genuine Delco unit would probably cost $250 reman, and $400 new. The Chinese ones are not reman, even though they are selling them labeled so. They are new. A handful of people here are using them. It seems if it lasts more than 200 miles for you, it should be ok. Luckily, China quality is improving, and on a lot of items we downright don't even have another option.

Again, it looks good. Let us know 6 months or a year from now if it is still trouble free.

jarhead1086

Comfortair wants $200 for the seal plug deal on my fan clutch. I'd rather spend that toward this alternator (1.21 gigawatt model) and go to an 8000 cfm electric fan. Less engine drag and better cooling adjustability with the variable rpm. Thanks guys you keep helping me find new ways to gold plate my turd.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well 74M35A2, you might be in business more than you think....my 931A2 alternator smoked the regulator, and I've spent the last 2 weeks being told by all of my formerly reliable alternator/generator rebuilders that they can't get parts for the stock L-N alternators anymore. I just want my stock L-N alternator rebuilt, and I'm getting sick & tired of people around Vegas telling me that it can't be done...

aua

74M35A2

If you just need a regulator, it looks like Erik's military surplus has them for a somewhat reasonable cost, but you'll still have a weak design no matter how many times you rebuild it. If you want one of mine, PM me. I just shot a quote to another interested member also. The Chinese Delco clone is less expensive, and can be had for as low as $89 plus shipping, but not through me.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to find the proper mounting bracket is proving to be quite a challenge ( Cummins 3929418 ). Almost all of the wrecking yards in southern Nevada were out-of-stock of Cummins 8.3L 6CT engines; only one yard had them (B&R), but they only sell complete engine assemblies - no parts off of engines. When asked what kind of vehicle the engine is out of (some wrecking yards could only do parts searches by vehicle make/model/year/etc...), I used Ford B700/B800 School Buses and Freightliner FL70/FL80 series trucks...these came up, but no engines available anywhere in the valley. The couple of bigger yards that seemed familiar with these engines said that they typically don't last long before getting purchased.

Called Rocky Mountain Cummins, they don't stock any...have to special-order from factory. Almost $94 plus shipping, and standard freight takes a week to arrive; overnight FedEx was $30. I then called several online dealers who showed this part in stock during a web search, and was told the same thing.

Called several local truck dealers to see if they might stock it, but no luck...until I talked with parts guy at Las Vegas Kenworth. He said if the part was currently in stock at the Cummins factory, he could get it for me for $84 and for another $20 he could have it overnighted. I sprung for this, so hopefully in the next day or two I'll be able to pick up my new bracket.

If someone has a wrecking yard near them that has these short brackets available, you might want to snap them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks