• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925A2 Hydrau lic Winch Pre-Use Suggestions

MIDDLEMAN

I have had the truck for about three weeks since the purchase from GP. Great truck so far. I have heard the winch may not even work but it looks complete and from the looks of the fair lead main roller, it has little use. Before I even engage the PTO I figure I should drain the Hyd. fluid tank, its full but when I loosened the fill cap fluid started to come out and it smelled like hydraulic fluid but was a little rusty looking. Bought 10 gallons of new at Costco and a new filter. Any thoughts or pre-test suggestions out there?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a filter you could change as well. If you do not know how to engage the PTO, it is a little backwards then you my think.
Put in drive(1-5) engage PTO then put in Neutral. PTO should be turning. Be sure to engage the winch up front as well.

74M35A2

Correct. There is already a low pressure canister filter on the return side of the system. Basic use of winch instructions including above are:1. Engage PTO via above method. Trans in D, pull PTO engagement lever back until it "falls in". May need to creep truck forward a foot to help it. Once in, place trans back in N. 2. Disengage drum lock pin on winch. 3. Lift lock and move shift lever on winch to engage mechanicals inside, this will be moving the lever toward the driver side. Rotate the drum some if this is resistive.

Gunzy

As a note, I have delt with 4 winch trucks and found 3 of them had the cable wound backwards. So if your controls operate backwards it may have the cable reeled backwards.

MtnSnow

And to go along with what Gunzy mentioned if the cable is wound backwards (cable exiting to the front of truck from the bottom of the winch drum) you will have no power to actually pull with. Cable should come over the top of the drum and then under the front roller out to the front of the truck.

WinchCableRouting.jpg

Last edited:

MIDDLEMAN

I will drain and refill the reservoir, install the new filter tomorrow and check cable to make sure it coming off the top. Then I will give it a whirl. I will post a few pics of my findings.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you start to run the winch, it may not move at first, you may have to wait a little till the air gets worked out. Just an FYI.

wackojacko990

Not sure if its a common problem, but on my 932a2 a spot weld had broke inside the lever housing in the cab. This prevented the hydraulic valve from actually moving when you move the lever.

Also the valve was stuck (which is probably why the was weld broke), but a little lube and pushing/pulling back and forth freed it right up.

acme66

And to go along with what Gunzy mentioned if the cable is wound backwards (cable exiting to the front of truck from the bottom of the winch drum) you will have no power to actually pull with. Cable should come over the top of the drum and then under the front roller out to the front of the truck.
Just now realized with that description that the cable on my 925 is would backwards. I also found that the pump was held to the frame with one bolt rather than 4 and that the one was loose. Glad I checked before trying.

Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks