• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A2 Dump wanting wider tires on Rear

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You actually missed a good deal about 2 weeks ago. About 7 M812 bridge trucks sold in Arkansas for cheap. They had all the hardware to run them with tubes.

You cut the face of a 22.5 wheel off and weld it to the rear side of the combat wheel.

I've even seen triple wides

Or put tracks on it over the dual rear tires.
Any idea who could make me 4 modified wheels?

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You actually missed a good deal about 2 weeks ago. About 7 M812 bridge trucks sold in Arkansas for cheap. They had all the hardware to run them with tubes.

You cut the face of a 22.5 wheel off and weld it to the rear side of the combat wheel.

Am I correct that you reverse the inner wheel and then mount the modified wheel and tire to dual the M929A2,s

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

What is the combat wheel designation which you weld the 22.5 face to? The picture doesn't look like the regular 14R20 wheel.

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@ladoublet

A thimble is the type of lug nut used on the inner dual wheels of Budd-style rims. It is tightened with a square socket (13/16"). They should be available at any heavy-duty truck parts or commericial tire shop.

The thimble is threaded on the inside to accept the wheel stud and tighten the inner wheel to the truck. It is also threaded on the outside to accept the lug nut that secures the outer rim/tire to the truck. (see picture below)

So you mount the inner tire/wheel on the truck using the thimbles to secure the inner wheel to the truck. Then mount the outer tire/wheel on the truck (the tightened thimbles will fit through the holes in the outer wheel) and use lug nuts to secure the outer wheel on the truck using the outside threads on the thimble nuts.

Thimble:
View attachment 863980

Here is my 5-ton during an outer-tire change with only the inner dual wheel held on with the thimbles. The outer wheel goes on OVER the thimbles and is secured with the outer lug nuts threaded onto the thimbles:

View attachment 863986
What wheels are needed to dual 11R20's

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
@ladoublet

A thimble is the type of lug nut used on the inner dual wheels of Budd-style rims. It is tightened with a square socket (13/16"). They should be available at any heavy-duty truck parts or commericial tire shop.

The thimble is threaded on the inside to accept the wheel stud and tighten the inner wheel to the truck. It is also threaded on the outside to accept the lug nut that secures the outer rim/tire to the truck. (see picture below)

So you mount the inner tire/wheel on the truck using the thimbles to secure the inner wheel to the truck. Then mount the outer tire/wheel on the truck (the tightened thimbles will fit through the holes in the outer wheel) and use lug nuts to secure the outer wheel on the truck using the outside threads on the thimble nuts.

Thimble:
View attachment 863980

Here is my 5-ton during an outer-tire change with only the inner dual wheel held on with the thimbles. The outer wheel goes on OVER the thimbles and is secured with the outer lug nuts threaded onto the thimbles:

View attachment 863986
What are the tires and wheels

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Are all 8 rear wheels bridge wheels with a 22.5 face?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can either go with bridge truck wheels, spacers, thimbles, outer nuts, and longer studs. @country could probably put together a complete kit for you but I’m sure it wont be cheap, but all you would have to do is install the longer studs and bolt the wheels on.

Probably cheaper would buy another set of combat wheels and tires like the ones already on your truck and have a local shop weld the centers on them and your existing rears like @simp5782 said @fuzzytoaster might be able to help you out with these, but if I’m understanding correctly this will make your truck much wider than even bridge truck wheels, so may be an issue reaching the bed with whatever you are loading the truck with. If you line the lug holes up you should be able to tighten your existing nuts up hubs through them with a long extension.

If your looking for maximum floatation and don’t need a lot of tread the 450/80r20 Sand Trial tire and wheels of the Husky mine sweepers can usually be had for dirt cheap for you outer wheels and should match the hight of your existing tire close enough. These wheels are the larger MRAP lug pattern though so the wont work for inner wheels on your truck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone happen to know if 395’s will clear the trunnion caps if the rear wheels are bolted on inside out? Also roughly how much room is under the trunnion cap, as in how much could they be shortened if any?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks