• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M929A2 Dump wanting wider tires on Rear

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You actually missed a good deal about 2 weeks ago. About 7 M812 bridge trucks sold in Arkansas for cheap. They had all the hardware to run them with tubes.

You cut the face of a 22.5 wheel off and weld it to the rear side of the combat wheel.

I've even seen triple wides

Or put tracks on it over the dual rear tires.

Attachments

TheQuaker

@ladoublet

A thimble is the type of lug nut used on the inner dual wheels of Budd-style rims. It is tightened with a square socket (13/16"). They should be available at any heavy-duty truck parts or commericial tire shop.

The thimble is threaded on the inside to accept the wheel stud and tighten the inner wheel to the truck. It is also threaded on the outside to accept the lug nut that secures the outer rim/tire to the truck. (see picture below)

So you mount the inner tire/wheel on the truck using the thimbles to secure the inner wheel to the truck. Then mount the outer tire/wheel on the truck (the tightened thimbles will fit through the holes in the outer wheel) and use lug nuts to secure the outer wheel on the truck using the outside threads on the thimble nuts.

Thimble:
1649206426399.png

Here is my 5-ton during an outer-tire change with only the inner dual wheel held on with the thimbles. The outer wheel goes on OVER the thimbles and is secured with the outer lug nuts threaded onto the thimbles:

1649207731468.png

ladoublet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are they available for the m929A2
@ladoublet

A thimble is the type of lug nut used on the inner dual wheels of Budd-style rims. It is tightened with a square socket (13/16"). They should be available at any heavy-duty truck parts or commericial tire shop.

The thimble is threaded on the inside to accept the wheel stud and tighten the inner wheel to the truck. It is also threaded on the outside to accept the lug nut that secures the outer rim/tire to the truck. (see picture below)

So you mount the inner tire/wheel on the truck using the thimbles to secure the inner wheel to the truck. Then mount the outer tire/wheel on the truck (the tightened thimbles will fit through the holes in the outer wheel) and use lug nuts to secure the outer wheel on the truck using the outside threads on the thimble nuts.

Thimble:
View attachment 863980

Here is my 5-ton during an outer-tire change with only the inner dual wheel held on with the thimbles. The outer wheel goes on OVER the thimbles and is secured with the outer lug nuts threaded onto the thimbles:

View attachment 863986

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I was about to give up on dualling the 14.00R20's. I am assuming that you have 14.00R20's on the truck in the picture.
He has 11.00R20s on the truck in the picture.

The budd dual lug nut set up is available for M929A2. In fact, you'll probably find someone who took them off an A0 or A1 truck that would let you have them cheap or free.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks