• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931 not starting

jjb

My 931 is being delivered in about an hour. I was originally told that it ran with a jump but the hauler says they couldn't get it running. I'm hoping its just air in the fuel lines. I've been searching the TMs and I can't find the bleeding/priming instructions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, any other common non-starting issues I should look for?

Thanks

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget the fuel primer hand pump on the driver side under the hood. If the engine was "T" handled, the reset on the shut off valve will need to be manually fliped back forward, this will save your starter.
JC

jjb

How did the hauler try to jump it?
He didn't. He said the GL guys did and they just told him they would pul it on because it wouldn't start.

What is the procedure to reset the Emergency Stop. I figured is was in the manuals but it says to contact unit maintenance.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the shut off cable through the fire wall to the top of the fuel pump/shutoff. Ensure handle in cab is full forward and manually toggle the shut off at the cable end forward. Have some one sit in the cab and pull handle while you observe the motion at the shut off.
Real simple. Then find hand pump just aft of pump, mark "fuel pressure" and pump it up before engaging starter.
If your batteries are good, it should fire off.
Good luck. SET HAND BRAKE..
JC

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes, when a battery is DEAD...I mean, really DEAD...it won't even take a jump. I've had several trucks where you had to leave the slave cables hooked up for a while before you could get it turn over at all. Sometimes, it does not even turn over. It could just be the batteries. First thing, though...check what the other guys stated as that is an easy fix.

jjb

Sometimes, when a battery is DEAD...I mean, really DEAD...it won't even take a jump. I've had several trucks where you had to leave the slave cables hooked up for a while before you could get it turn over at all. Sometimes, it does not even turn over. It could just be the batteries. First thing, though...check what the other guys stated as that is an easy fix.

I think that is the case here. The hauler said they told him it cranked and cranked but didn't start and that they tried with ether. I think that's BS I think they tried jumping it and it didn't crank so they left it. We tried jumping it with my friends Deuce but it wouldn't turn over. Just heard the solenoid clicking.

I check each battery with a volt meter and all but one showed 9volts . My battery tester showed bad/weak. I really want to make sure it runs before buying batteries.

The batteries are brand new but it looks like they were run completely dead and probably stayed that way for a long time. I'm trying to charge 2 at a time as I only have 2 chargers. We'll see tomorrow.

js05

I had the same problem when I got my truck. The emergency stop was used and not rest. So when they tried too start it they ran down the batteries. I charged 2 of them up and the next day it started right up.

jjb

So, after getting enough juice in the batteries it started on ether but wouldn't stay running. Tried priming it but after probably 100 attempts all I got was air. Then I dropped the fuel filter canister to find what looked like a new filter and it was filled with nice clean fuel. After jerking around with it for probably 2 hours I decided to pull the 1/2" fuel supply line from the filter to the injector pump. I put 5 psi of air pressure to it and heard air coming out everywhere. The line was dry rotted and was sucking air all over.

We went to tractor supply and picked up a 36" long 1/2" hydraulic line to replace it. Then we were able to bleed it and it fired right up and runs awesome.

Having a couple of friends helping out sure made it go easier.

Carlo

So, after getting enough juice in the batteries it started on ether but wouldn't stay running. Tried priming it but after probably 100 attempts all I got was air. Then I dropped the fuel filter canister to find what looked like a new filter and it was filled with nice clean fuel. After jerking around with it for probably 2 hours I decided to pull the 1/2" fuel supply line from the filter to the injector pump. I put 5 psi of air pressure to it and heard air coming out everywhere. The line was dry rotted and was sucking air all over.

We went to tractor supply and picked up a 36" long 1/2" hydraulic line to replace it. Then we were able to bleed it and it fired right up and runs awesome.

Having a couple of friends helping out sure made it go easier.

Hey jjb. My M931A1 drove me CRAZY with the same problems! The hoses looked good but after pumping air into the fuel tank it leaked fuel every where. This must be one of the big defects with these 900 series trucks, no? Thanks to EVERYONE on SS who helped be step by step tracing down the problems. I feel I have a group of friends I have only dreamed of.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Deal! That's what it takes to get these trucks running. Long shortage life dry rot on the belts and hoses is normally the issues, batteries as well. Get the operators manual and go through the truck by section. Great learning tool and log all the belts filters and hoses for repair. Mechanically, if not abused, these trucks are solid.
JC

M931 Up and Running

"Having a couple of friends helping out sure made it go easier."

No problem Jeff, that's what friends are for, glad we could help you out! Truck runs great, not bad for your first MV, you did good. Before someone does this: Where are the pictures?

nopics

Here is a some pictures of the new rig. Thanks also to the SS members who helped Jeff out.

John

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well done, nice unit. Myself and a bud are headed to Indy on Wed. to recover 2ea M931A1s. (one tan, one green) Going to drive them back to Kentucky. Making a list of supplies as we speak. Will post pictures once I figure that out. I'm a better mechanic than IT guy.
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks