• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 conversion to a dropside M923A2 type possible?

Giggyman

I've been seeing pretty decent prices on the M931A2 trucks for sale online by private owners. I was wondering if it would be too much of a hassle or too expenseive to convert these M931A2 trucks into a dropside/flatbed type like the M923A2 trucks? I keep getting outbid on the GL auctions and the ones online are way off budget.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Gig

RetiredNavy

The M923's have a longer wheelbase than the M931 series (longer frames). I dont believe you can get a 14 ft bed on a M931 without stretching the frame a bit. However, a person should be able to put a M105 trailer bed on the 931. Sides wont fold down, unless you know how to fabricate to make it happen.

dburt

Check out what Alex G does at Idaho Motor Pool with a 12 foot M35 dropside bed on a 931. He has one in his inventory for sale so the pics would give you an idea of what it would look like. Google Idaho Motor Pool and it will take you to his site.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The spring pack on a tractor is a lot heavier than a cargo truck. Unless you put a few thousand pounds of ballast in the bed it is going to beat your teeth out going down anything but a glass smooth road.

Giggyman

Oh I didn't know that the spring pack was that heavy that it actually affects the ride a bit without the extra cargo. If I do get one, I dont think i would go off road with it anyway. So if an m931 has a shorter wheelbase than a 923, then it is possible for a 931 to be actually less than 26,000lbs, even with an m35 bed? Am I getting this right guys?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the parts TM, I don't see where the tractors have heavier springs than a cargo truck.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, when putting a deuce bed on an M931, did you remove the spare tire/tool box rack?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M931 here that I was considering installing a deuce bed on.

Your reasoning crossed my mind too. (Did I just say that?):cookoo:

Anyhow, I haven't been able to find a difference in springs so far.

Perhaps someone else can confirm they are the same or different.

Giggyman

So how's the ride feel like on your m931 with a 10' bed like that on? Looks like something i had in mind! Did you put the bed on before or after getting your registration? What is your declared GVWR on the registration? I was wondering if something like this can be registered below 26,000.

So how's the ride feel like on your m931 with a 10' bed like that on? Looks like something i had in mind! Did you put the bed on before or after getting your registration? What is your declared GVWR on the registration? I was wondering if something like this can be registered below 26,000.
I just put the bed on the truck and have not yet finished the bed mounts so I haven't driven it yet.
I've had the truck for about a year as a 5th wheel tractor and titled and registered it that way. I was able to register it below 26k pounds here in NJ.

Giggyman

I just put the bed on the truck and have not yet finished the bed mounts so I haven't driven it yet.
I've had the truck for about a year as a 5th wheel tractor and titled and registered it that way. I was able to register it below 26k pounds here in NJ.
Really less than 26,000 lbs? Is it registered as an RV or just registered as a regular truck with a GVWR of less than 26,000 lbs? What GVWR does the VIN plate say on the vehicle?

Really less than 26,000 lbs? Is it registered as an RV or just registered as a regular truck with a GVWR of less than 26,000 lbs? What GVWR does the VIN plate say on the vehicle?
It is registered as a commercial truck for non-commercial purposes. Every state is different. This "Class" of registration is required because of the vehicle weight, but I am not permitted to use the vehicle for commercial purposes such as "For Hire" or commercial hauling.
There is no weight on the VIN/Data plate.

jw4x4

I have a shortened 5 ton dropside bed on my M932A1. Yes it does ride stiff, especially approaches to bridge decks and washboard roads. An air ride seat makes a huge difference. I am driving it from Ohio to the Georgioa Rally again this year. I think the best suspension mod would be ditching the springs and going with air bags. This truck is registered Historical Military. No worries about CDL, I have had one for a couple of decades now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks