• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A2 Rear Wheels Locked

dabtl

When I joined here in 2007 I did not know crap about military vehicles. Five vehicles later I have learned some.

I remember the Longest Day when the beach commander tells some Brits to get their Bren carrier moving. They said it would not start so the beach commander took his walking stick and beat on it. It started. Well, after a huge flood here, 11 inches of rain fell in a couple of hours, we took the deuce out on a rescue run for people suddenly trapped in the flooding. Things got wet. Most especially the front wheel bearings, but also the starter. Then it would not turn the engine over. I thought about it. Looked for another starter and finally looked here. The recommendation was to hit the starter with a hammer while my son pressed on the starter. I thought to myself about the beach commander and his hitting the Bren carrier. So, we did. Never another problem with the starter to this day. Amazing.

A year or so ago I acquired a M931A2 and it sat parked for a spell. The rear brakes would not let it be moved. Other things occupied my mind until a week or so ago and I again came here to find a solution. Guess what? Hit the brake drum with a hammer. So, we hit is with a hammer. The truck now runs just fine again.

Any future repairs will begin with hitting the offending part with a hammer. Lesson learned.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It never fails to amaze me how useful hammer technology can be when applied correctly....

And even if it doesn't work, you get the satisfaction of beating the snot out of something!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake shoe sticking to the drum on M939 trucks is a very common problem. I've had to hit them pretty hard with a big sledge to get them to break free. The A1, A2 trucks are much easier to get access to the drum.

I honestly don't think you can hit a drum hard enough to hurt it unless it already had a flaw. I had a old drum one time and just to see I tried as hard as I could with a 8lb sledge to bust it. I gave out before the drum did.

Yeah my m931 does that from time to time if it sits for a while. It's parked outside on the wet side of the Big Island of Hawaii. So the rain will make it's way into the drums. I'll take my sledge and give each drum a couple smacks while doing my pre trip. If one is still stuck. A little more gentle persuasion, and they loosen right up.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We call that "percussion adjustment" in the airline industry. We have hammers that are "calibrated" for when the task
calls for a "calibrated tap".

FloridaAKM

I have an older toyota 4x4 truck, that if left sitting for any lenght of time has the same starter problem. Now, several bumps with a long rod on the starter
& she fires right up. My Deuce which is a little older, never has a problem with starting unless I change the fuel filters...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks