• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M932A1 with shorter drop side deuce bed

rrrr

that towbar mount is awesome. how long is the truck compared to a full length deuce? about same size? or little long because of the nose?

about the towbar mount how is the lunette secured? is the bolt through it as well?
The truck is the same length as an M35a2 w/w.

The lunette portion is secured just back of the lunette on the other tow bar attach area.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love the towbar mount, very cool!

Not a big fan of the short bed, though, I would have preferred to remove the spare tire mount, drop a standard deuce bed in place, and remount the spare tire in the bed. I just feel you sacrificed some bed size that you might regret later, in order to make a shorter "unique" bed. I'm not sorry you made something unique, just that I feel it might be more of a hindrance to your cargo space later.

rrrr

I thought about just putting a full length bed on. I didn't want to loose the spare tire carrier and I wanted to keep the truck short. The bed would have stuck out another 1.5 feet in the rear. It would have been good for mounting the rear mud flaps though. With the short frame of a tractor a frame extension would of probably been needed to support the end of the bed. I also probably would have needed to relocated the rear lights as well. Lots of compromises no matter what you do.

rrrr

Got the shortened top back. Its really tight. I had 5' taken out of the 14' length. I probably should have left a few more inches on it. Hopefully it will stretch a little. I might shorten each bow vertical support an inch to get the top to go further down on the bed. It appears the deuce drop side bed side walls might be a little shorter than the 5 ton bed walls ?

I will do some painting on the bed to help match up with the camo on the top.

Attachments

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks are what happen when let Deuces and 5-Tons have too much "alone" time in the motorpool.:wink::cool:

Given the wide turning radius of these trucks, the short w/b models (tractor, dump and bolster) lend themselves to better maneuverability. I looked at an M813 initially. But storage space and driving issues in my neck of the woods called for a shorter truck. I am happy with what I ended up with. Your pics give me ideas if a 939-series ever landed on my front porch. Come winning Lotto numbers....

The custom cut cover looks good. Nice fit. Are you leaving the wood slats on your troop seats or will you eventually change to fiberglass?

Last edited:

rrrr

Wood all the way :p

It does turn as sharp as my deuce. The shorter wheel base makes it much easier to get around. I've had a couple of people mention they were surprised at its turning radius.

I'm not sure what to call it yet ?

Any ideas ? Maybe I need to do a poll ?

Last edited:

rrrr

Thanks, I'll post some more pics when I get home. We were suppose to get some T-storms overnight so I put the cover over the cab. Seems to keep things dryer in the cab.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first saw your truck with the smaller than usual cargo box, I thought it looked sort of like a heavy haul truck...

Attachments

Last edited:

Bolkbich

Ive been driving mine just about every day. I know the wheelbase is only a foot shorter but it definitley makes it easier in a parking lot.

hmfic

Im wanting to shorten my M923A2 also. Did you just cut off the rear of the frame and shorten the bed to match? I was wondering if there is a easy way to bob one and use 4 four wheels rather than six.

spicergear

That's not bobbed, the tractor frames are short like that. No real frame overhang to speak of like most other trucks. As far as bobbing, same rules apply; hang another set of front springs, lose one rear, swear and sweat, and enjoy. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks