• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 New hydraulic hoses and a little paint on wrecker bed!

bigboy44

2013-01-30 001.jpgI am trying to stop the hoses from rubbing on the tool boxes when swinging the crane so I made modefications to the hoses using a spring and hose clamps. I also put some rubber between the crane frame and the hoses in an attempt to slow down wear on the outer side of the hoses!

I need to get the lights working on the crane but they are in bad shape, the bulbs are burnt and the switches are very bad the light fixture that holds the bulbs are rusted through. Any one got some suggestions on new lights.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
If I recall correctly, the work lights that came on my M936A1 have molded plastic housings. My M543A2 (now owned by Big Mike) had metal ones. I don't know if and where NOS or good take-off work lights are available, but I thought you might like to know that there's a second variety that is apparently "correct".

bigboy44

If I recall correctly, the work lights that came on my M936A1 have molded plastic housings. My M543A2 (now owned by Big Mike) had metal ones. I don't know if and where NOS or good take-off work lights are available, but I thought you might like to know that there's a second variety that is apparently "correct".
Thanks for the info, I myself would love to keep it original but money is the problem, the bulbs alone at NAPA are 50 bucks + I can get lights off of equipment for a lot less and maybe even more light. I will store the originals if I decide to sell it so the new owner will be able to return it to specs.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to get the lights working on the crane but they are in bad shape, the bulbs are burnt and the switches are very bad the light fixture that holds the bulbs are rusted through. Any one got some suggestions on new lights.
This may help.. A very helpful S/S member recently went to a big truck breakers for a '70s part I needed, then blamed me for costing him a bunch of beer tokens when he spotted 'had to have' work lights off of municipality plough/work truck - since they were also '70s, they were steel. (No idea of the voltage.)

Maybe you have a truck breakers in your area...

bigboy44

I would like some input on mounting a schackle on the rear winch roller bracket pic below. the main reason for adding the schackle is to secure the block and do away with the cable that is there now. I also added a few pics of the spring I installed to keep the hoses off of the tool boxes.2013-01-31 M936 Paint 006.jpg2013-01-31 M936 Paint 004.jpg2013-01-31 M936 Paint 005.jpg2013-01-31 M936 Paint 001.jpg2013-01-31 M936 Paint 002.jpg2013-01-31 M936 Paint 003.jpg

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like some input on mounting a schackle on the rear winch roller bracket pic below.
View attachment 407692View attachment 407698
Well it looks like we are too late, you have already mounted it! BUT, it does look like a secure, simple mod so 'well done'. Get your trade mark on it quick.

The only comment I would add is not to put attatch hook directlyto the shackle, but add a 'weak link' - as per the original cable setup, maybe a ring/loop of 1/4-3/8" rod that will allow a mistake at the controls not to damage the truck. Could use smaller grade 2 bolts on the shackle too.

Nice job on the spring restraints too.

bigboy44

Thanks, I did not mount it , it is just sitting there! How would I trade mark it? I just could not stand the cables and yes I would put a 1 smaller cable as a go between, but I wanted input first!
Thanks for the advise.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was kidding about the trade mark - but for all readers of this post we will know you were the first one with the cool idea!

Csm Davis

Think about a small pintle hitch instead it is a little more useful than just a shackle and is a very common mod, you can look at mine when you come by. For all the rest of you I will take pics and post them when I get a chance.

bigboy44

That looks like te way to go, why did they get away from that rigging? Thanks for the pics, I will see you next week. As you know a friend passed this week and we are tied up with the funeral.

bigboy44

zebedee,
Sorry i mistaken you for Jeff, I was reading the post on the Marine with the skate board shop being murdered and that just makes me sick and discusted that the laws are not being enforced to these thugs. Sorry got to go.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like the way to go, why did they get away from that rigging? Thanks for the pics......
Actually "they" didn't go away from this rigging - it was done to ALL the M816s that the Aussie Army had - ironically, the operators didn't really like it so it was pretty redundant other than for hanging the hook on! I understand it was supposed to be for rigid (a single straight) bar or "A" frame (a la US tow bar) flat towing of the 'taller' fronted trucks, the lower pintle used for trailers and towing Land Rovers and the smaller stuff. Suspended tows were done using the two 'ears' on that big square tube with the 'towbar' reversed.

Say Hi to Big Jeff when you see him!

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
On the topic of extra pintles, my M543A2 had a second full-sized pintle mounted underneath the regular one. Decals on the doors indicated that the truck was used by an aircraft maintenance facility, so maybe it was added to tow things like aircraft and tarmac equipment that would normally be pulled by a tug with a pintle close to the ground. Big Mike has that truck now, and I don't know if he plans to keep the extra pintle on it.

bigboy44

Well I added the schackle to the rear winch bracket. I like it better than the 2 cables system that was there, it give you more room to get on and off the rear deck. After mounting the bracket I marked the thread of the bolts then took them out and cut them so they would be barly past the nut to make sure they would not interfear with the winch cable, I do have a full nut on them. I also checked out the crane after I cut a foot off the end of the cable and respooled it. It picked up the duece with ease, if I would have rigged it right I think it would p ick the whole truck up. That would be too much trouble! I don't know why some of the pics are duplicated and I don't know how to delete them. Sorry.M936 Mod to Bracket (1).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (5).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (6).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (7).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (8).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (9).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (2).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (3).jpgM936 Mod to Bracket (4).jpg

bigboy44

I got my Insurance card on the M936 yesterday and went to DMV in Baton Rouge today and got my regi:-Dstration papers and should have a title by Tuesday:driver::tank:2013-02-24 M936 to DMV 001.jpg2013-02-24 M936 to DMV 002.jpg2013-02-24 M936 to DMV 003.jpg2013-02-24 M936 to DMV 004.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks