• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m936a2 air comp change out help

sweetk30

working on the 936a2 with the 8.3 cummins and need to swap the compressor out .

the used engine we had installed had a comp on it . but the unit was never checked and now its installed it has a bad head gasket . huge amount of air out of it .

so by the looks of it its pull the comp off the engine or remove the injection pump that I do NOT wana do .

so I have the used comp off the old motor and it was good and hand spin has good comp stroke .

I did a search under air compressor and got to page 5 with no real results .

looking for the gasket #'s for comp to t-cover / adaptor on back of comp to let you bolt up the p/s pump and p/s pump to adaptor .

if there is even gaskets for the last 2 .

looks like I need to drain coolent also to do this job .

any help would be great guys thanks ! [thumbzup]

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's been a while it wasn't a bad job the power steering pump unbolts and the front flange of the compressor unbolts and the drive gear stays on the compressor and just pulls out. I don't remember the gasket number you can call cummins and give them the engine serial number they will sell you the 2 gaskets. A friend helped me with it I don't remember if we drained the coolant.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
working on the 936a2 with the 8.3 cummins and need to swap the compressor out .

the used engine we had installed had a comp on it . but the unit was never checked and now its installed it has a bad head gasket . huge amount of air out of it .

so by the looks of it its pull the comp off the engine or remove the injection pump that I do NOT wana do .

so I have the used comp off the old motor and it was good and hand spin has good comp stroke .

I did a search under air compressor and got to page 5 with no real results .

looking for the gasket #'s for comp to t-cover / adaptor on back of comp to let you bolt up the p/s pump and p/s pump to adaptor .

if there is even gaskets for the last 2 .

looks like I need to drain coolent also to do this job .

any help would be great guys thanks ! [thumbzup]
Where is it leaking? Why not just swap the cooling jacket and/or unloader head and leave the compressor body in place? I just did that on mine after; 1) replacing just the upper gasket under the aluminum unloader head; 2) replacing the unloader head with another used assembly; 3) this time I lapped the aluminum unloader head which was warped and is perfectly flat now, and did the same to the water jacket head which was fine. two new gaskets also. So far, it's running fine without a hint of a leak anywhere.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And he is the compressor expert that thing has given him fits and scared the crap out me.
I hate that little sob

sweetk30

blown out at head to jug body in back pointing at engine block .

cramed my hand up in there with cold engine and full air buildup . gasket falling apart so brittle.

figured slide p/s pump back and 2 nuts on t-cover studs and few lines and swap whole comp for the good used one we have on hand .

sweetk30

well the local parts stores are dumb or something ? ? ?

all they can find me is the air comp to timing cover gasket .

no one has a clue on the p/s pump to the back of the compressor . and I see the old gasket pattern there so I know there was one on there at some point.

anyone got part #'s ? ? thanks .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks