• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936a2 towing a M931a2

Tornadogt

TruAg

Yep, its an automatic and 4 wheel drive. I'll plan on disconnecting the rear drive shaft and tying it up. Not sure how to keep steering wheel unlocked without leaving key on. Because its 4 wheel drive, I thinking I shouldn't have to mess with dropping that drive shaft because it will not be engaged. I have a set of tow lights, but they are 12V. May have to figure out how to get around that.

davo727

What day are you going Sam? I might be able to go with and you wouldn't have to tow.

Yep, its an automatic and 4 wheel drive. I'll plan on disconnecting the rear drive shaft and tying it up. Not sure how to keep steering wheel unlocked without leaving key on. Because its 4 wheel drive, I thinking I shouldn't have to mess with dropping that drive shaft because it will not be engaged. I have a set of tow lights, but they are 12V. May have to figure out how to get around that.

TruAg

What day are you going Sam? I might be able to go with and you wouldn't have to tow.
Heading over on Thursday morning. Gotta stop at Ft. Polk to pick up some tires and then head to Camp Beauregard to pick up 936. Help would be GREAT!!! Always better to have a tailing vehicle just in case there is trouble.

Jeepsinker

You still never told me what time I need to meet you up there to get the wrecker running. Are you just going to call when you get over my way? If you have front shackle mounts on the ford that will accommodate the military shackles then you have nothing to worry about.

74M35A2

Can you just rent a car, drive it there, and drive the MV back? Taxi from rental place to MV pickup. If I was closer I'd he all about helping, but I'd want to drive the MV, not the F-series!

adeso

I am driving a rental there, but I have both a 936 and 931 to pick up. seemed like a good idea to get both at the time...

adeso

No worries TruAg, yea it will be. Both trucks were "start and operate" per Gov Liq.... so yea I'm bringing about 300 lbs of tools plus all the tow bar stuff. Probably going to have 700 lbs of gear in the rental on the way out there lol. I also have several ditch spots on the way home just in case. I'm counting on spending an entire day making sure they are good to go, and 2 days to make it home despite google saying it will only take 10 hours to get home.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I tow a M939 I like to remove the drive shafts off of the front and rear. Just make sure your axles have gear oil in them.
It is just what I like to do. Does not take that long with a impact, they are 9/16" bolts.
Good luck and be safe!!

lakeydna

I've flat towed lots over 1500 mi long trips. Transfer case in neutral, hook gland hands up to air rear truck, disconnect Canon plug at signal switch and run a cable from the trailer plug of the front truck to the trailer plug on the rear truck. Before I Had mv plug ends I just used some 4 pin harness and stuck it in the pins. Hook up right, left,running and ground. I think B, D, E, and J. I've never done it but Pulling axles will reduce drag but not required. Turning three diffs instead of six.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Caging the brakes DOES NOT stop service brakes. I agree that putting the transfer case in Neutral is all that's necessary, there is no tangible gain in adding additional work to the move ASSUMING all parts are operational when you leave. Safety chains, air hoses (Stonepicker had the correct sets) and lights are all you need. The 936 has plenty of weight to pull the other truck without being thrown around. Suspending a load for no reason does nothing but introduce complexity into the operation.

Hook it up. flat-tow away and you won't even know its there. I have towed several 923s with another 923 of equal weight and it was so simple you almost forget its there.

No need to make a relatively easy task more difficult.

Csm Davis

Well Caging the brakes DOES NOT stop service brakes.
But it does decrease the available force on the caged brakes, so only cage them if needed

I agree that putting the transfer case in Neutral is all that's necessary, there is no tangible gain in adding additional work to the move ASSUMING all parts are operational when you leave.
I used to believe this also but now know otherwise, for a short tow it is okay but a long haul I would advise removal of the rear, and front on an unknown truck. Many of these trucks have been found to be in 6x6 all the time, don't trust it until you can check it out for yourself.

Safety chains, air hoses (Stonepicker had the correct sets) and lights are all you need. The 936 has plenty of weight to pull the other truck without being thrown around. Suspending a load for no reason does nothing but introduce complexity into the operation.

Hook it up. flat-tow away and you won't even know its there. I have towed several 923s with another 923 of equal weight and it was so simple you almost forget its there.
No need to make a relatively easy task more difficult.
Great advice! Also the air lines that you need to hook up between the two trucks are available at most truck stops, one red, one blue, with gladhands on both ends. I prefer the coiled type they are easier to keep off the ground and still have enough slack.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My original statement was ASSUMING all operational as a qualifier. If there isn't time to check all out correctly, then, yes I agree on removing drive shafts. Bring two ratchet straps to tie them up in place, especially the front, it makes that one much easier. This means you have to remove the end at the axles, not at the transfer case.

Jeff, you have definitely out towed me for sure so I will defer to your expertise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks