• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936a2 towing a M931a2

adeso

loaded up rental.jpg

well I have the rental all loaded up with every tool that I think I could need. I have the 939 tow bar, safety chains, and lots of airlines. I have flat towed my one 923 with my other 923 before so I know what to expect. I was only planning on pulling the axles to try and save a little fuel, we shall see how motivated I am to do that, it is 600 miles so it might be worth it. I have a wire harness all made up and lots of the reflective tape, and I also have a set of battery powered always on tail lights I'm going to throw on there as well. I have 3 to 4 days to pick up and move it so lots of time to make sure everything is right. I also am bringing 1-2 gal of every type of lube the truck uses

Csm Davis

My original statement was ASSUMING all operational as a qualifier. If there isn't time to check all out correctly, then, yes I agree on removing drive shafts. Bring two ratchet straps to tie them up in place, especially the front, it makes that one much easier. This means you have to remove the end at the axles, not at the transfer case.

Jeff, you have definitely out towed me for sure so I will defer to your expertise.
Wheelspinner was not knocking you just trying to add some of my experience to it.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suspending a load for no reason does nothing but introduce complexity into the operation.

(No need to make a relatively easy task more difficult.)
What Pat says - especially as suspended towing will expose you to the requirements of needing a wrecker endorsement on your CDL and specific tow truck insurance.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When did they come out with a Wrecker endorsement?
No idea! NY recently changed the letter from an W to an S (or visa versa) so for a while I guess. It's not a hard one to get, simple book work actually - not sure it cost me any extra - when done with the others you need for a Class A.

NB. It's the same one for a light (1 ton) tow truck ie., dually pickup. Just get the study guide from your DMV.

sandcobra164

No idea! NY recently changed the letter from an W to an S (or visa versa) so for a while I guess. It's not a hard one to get, simple book work actually - not sure it cost me any extra - when done with the others you need for a Class A.

NB. It's the same one for a light (1 ton) tow truck ie., dually pickup. Just get the study guide from your DMV.
I'm not sure on the Civi side of it but what I do know is that on the Military side, you can't even drive a M1089 or M984 series truck without having H8 stamped on your license. You only get that by attending a Wonderful 2 week course spent swimming in mud, making winch connections and being taught mire factors and winch factors. The message came down from the top, I'm sure Csm Davis and expound on that if he want's to but with a Civilian License, I'd make sure that I was within my weights and flat tow. I have a Class AM in GA which means I can driver a Class A truck as well as a motorcycle but I'm not aware of a wrecker license in my state. I keep my military license on hand though anytime I'm driving an MV.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... here in NY, there is also the complication of "if necessary" with the wrecker endorsement - as per the poster in the DMV on categories of CDL, as in; first recovery, at/from the scene of an accident may not need an endrsement but 'secondary' movement from the wreckers yard, to some other repairers/home base does. Kind of arse backwards in my opinion, who would need the greater experience... the guy who has to deal with traffic, roll overs, "mire factor" etc., or the guy who simply has to move the wreck from the tow truck yard to the truck owners yard/repair shop!
Confuse that with the restrictions of what state allows what type of recovery. NY and PA do not allow combination towing! A semi truck in a wreck has to be split and the tow operator or the owner has to send a second tractor or wrecker, for the trailer (if damaged)!

With all this said, I don't know how often the LEO check on the wrecker driver - they are usually busy with the mess and who caused what.
I am always seeing wreckers (mostly small ones) cheating with their hazard beacon rather than putting tow lights on the casualty - not legal here yet most do it so one can only assume the law hardly ever ticket for it.. if they even know its wrong!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks