• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936A2 wrecker boom cable broke at clevis end with pics

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I broke the cable at the end where it meets the hook. It looks like a combination of some of the strands broke and some just pulled out. The truck is a pretty recent rebuild it looks like it wasn't put together properly to begin with. Either way I need to fix it. I found a previous thread discussing the end part but nothing about putting it all back together. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Will

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That end WAS two blocked, the nut is trashed, I would get a WHOLE new set, the nut, the brass insert, the becket.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Is it hard to install? Looks like it screws together. I haven't done anything like that yet. I always have a little pause doing something myself that will be relied upon to hold significant weight.
Will

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You put the nut on the cable, seperate a few of the strands and wrap them around the piece that I can't remember the name of, then insert it into the clevis, then tighten the nut. The new setup should come with instructions.

This is exactly why those of us who use wreckers often even in a hobby setting, should concider load testing our boom cables every so often. I usually check the cable ends when I do my bed lube order every other month or so.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, a visual inpection isn't perfect. These are prone to internal rust because of the orientation. Water runs right down the cable to the nut. Yes good thing you had it almost set. It is no fun when things come crashing down.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The end looked ok before. I picked up a good 17k lbs maybe more. Luckily I had it moved and pretty much set when it broke.
That cable end WAS two blocked BEFORE the cable broke, look at the Becket, you CAN see where the edges of the sheave gouged it, it was two blocked so tight that it pulled the cable out of the side of the nut, It WAS two blocked at the time of the break, the way the wires are bent tell the tale. I do not want to seem harsh but this is HOW people get hurt/killed working with cranes or winches.

TWO BLOCKING is trying to pull the cable end OR traveling block though the boom tip or another block.

Last edited:

1954 COE

As a wrecker owner, threads of this nature always point out how quick bad things can happen and often without warning. This green iron is big,
heavy and unforgiving. Thanks for the reminder.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard the insert called the wedge. Most shops that deal in wire rope and cable will have the parts you need......

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I will order the part and put it back together. I have had the truck for a while but never lifted that much weight with it. I make sure people are far away when I am lifting.

wcuhillbilly

I couldnt find the clevis type end for mine thus I used a Crosby Becket instead. This is the type that is used on the big commercial cranes. the setup threads the cable down thruough and back up with a wedge and ubolt to hold the tail, easy water drain, easy visual inspection and easier to find locally, not to mention reusable if the cable fails. Order appropriate to cable size,, Speaking of cable,,,, has anyone ever wound the crane drum with 5/8 instead of the stock 1/2 ????? How did that work... I think there is enough clearnace.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldnt find the clevis type end for mine thus I used a Crosby Becket instead. This is the type that is used on the big commercial cranes. the setup threads the cable down thruough and back up with a wedge and ubolt to hold the tail, easy water drain, easy visual inspection and easier to find locally, not to mention reusable if the cable fails. Order appropriate to cable size,, Speaking of cable,,,, has anyone ever wound the crane drum with 5/8 instead of the stock 1/2 ????? How did that work... I think there is enough clearnace.
I am not sure the 5/8" wire rope would fit all the pulleys on the boom.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WILL NOT WORK, not even 9/16", the drum IS a fluted drum, not a smooth drum, the flutes are made for 1/2", anything bigger WILL ride up over the flute ridge, skipping a flute every so many turns of the drum , 9/16" is every 5 raps of the drum, by jumping a flute 5 times makes the cable TO LONG for a single drum layer, by starting a second layer, the cable snubber does not work right, I had to cut about 6' off of Swiss's m62 because it has 9/16" cable, to get the snubber to work right.

wcuhillbilly

WILL NOT WORK, not even 9/16", the drum IS a fluted drum, not a smooth drum, the flutes are made for 1/2", anything bigger WILL ride up over the flute ridge, skipping a flute every so many turns of the drum , 9/16" is every 5 raps of the drum, by jumping a flute 5 times makes the cable TO LONG for a single drum layer, by starting a second layer, the cable snubber does not work right, I had to cut about 6' off of Swiss's m62 because it has 9/16" cable, to get the snubber to work right.
Thanks 73M819
Thats the info I was looking for, just didnt want to spend $300+ on a 100ft of cable to find out. I actually rethreaded mine with 1/2 when I snapped the original cable.... bought some chokers and made a logging choker cable out of the remnants.

This is the "Beckett that I used to repair my crane cable... 1/2 was about $100 + shipping from Crosby.

Image didnt work,,, look two posts up at the diagram by Quickfarms

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks 73M819
.... bought some chokers and made a logging choker cable out of the remnants.
NOT a GOOD idea, 1/2" will snap as soon as anything bigger then a bush as soon as the lead end snags a stump, dirt mound, ect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks