• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Dual 14.00R20's

PyroJoe

I've only found one thread about dual 1400's on a 5 ton and it was only about the 800 series. The reason I ask is because I saw an 800 series 5 ton the other day with dual 1400's, and now that I've taken the 1100's off my van, it looks awkward with only (1) 1400 in the rear. I will post back with whether or not I can get 2 of them to fit, but figured I'd ask first since these aren't exactly the easiest thing to maneuver, and any pain I can save my back is a good thing! I know the 800 series had spacers, but the axles are different, I'm sure.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think simp5782 was working on this using bridge truck wheel and or spacers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PyroJoe

20170109_090028.jpg
This is off of the 800 series I saw with duals.

I don't care about 800's. Just 939 series. The standard beadlocks and 1400's that come on them.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You have to find a 10" wide dually wheel that is 20". Good luck on that. Those are bridge truck wheels. They have a 1.5" wide spacer under the inner wheel to space it away from the springs. You can do it with the 5 ton combat wheels but you will need a 6.65" wide spacer between the tires as well as against the drum. Me doing the machine work on the steel and lightening it plus the burn on the streel is around 1200 per spacer. The machine work drops the spacer weight fron 136lbs with holes drilled to 73lbs after its been cut out.

Plus find long enough studs. Doing it with combat wheels is going to be a high priced ordeal. Not to mention you are 10ft 4inches wide. And unless you have 4 to 600hp you arent going anywhere in a hurry.

A member here had some 12.00-20" NDTs over in Hickory NC in the classifieds awhile back. You can fit 14.00s on the stock 5 ton split ring wheel but i wouldn't go driving on it. Plus you would need the 1.5inch inside spacer along with the studs

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PyroJoe

I run my own Machining and Fabrication business called Doomsday Diesel thankfully so my prices will be nowhere near that. I'm also tagged as a farm truck so don't really care about the 102 width

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I run my own Machining and Fabrication business called Doomsday Diesel thankfully so my prices will be nowhere near that. I'm also tagged as a farm truck so don't really care about the 102 width
The burn for a 4.5inch spacer is around 750 each. So your gonna be looking at around 1000 ea just for the steel and around 20/22 hours of machine work to lighten them up.

You can always get a sand cast but itll be just as much

Last edited:

PyroJoe

What material are you using and I will look up my price on it?

It sounds like simp5782 has some concrete ideas on how it could be done. I have some others. There is more than one way to skin a cat, I have found. I will post back with what I find after I get to experiment a little.

Why run dual 1400's you are probably asking yourselves?.... Because it would look cool. Why does anyone need a 5mpg 5 ton? Because they're big and cool and $1000. Also, if you've ever driven your 934 in a heavy cross-wind, the stability that duals adds would sure be nice.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
4140. You will need to burn it 6.65" thick x 13 inches in diameter

On a 934 you could always go to 425/65/22.5 tires. Just get an offset wheel. You can dual them out and they are wider than a 14.00. And they come in michelin XZL as well.

PyroJoe

I have some 1141 in Ø10" size at $193/foot on hand. I don't have any 13" or bigger on hand. I'll have to look into that one.

I've scrapped enough A1's to accumulate enough 1400s to last me 3 life times, that's why I'd like to use them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Maybe look into recentering and changing back spacing on the combat wheels will be a valid idea
They have to become more dished then. I was actually going to weld the spacer to each outside wheel to ensure they wouldn't have to rely on the 8inch long studs

big block 88

I run 2" spacers on my little 1/2 ton reg cab chevy play truck and they do well. That said there is somthing about a 25,000 pound truck on long spacer studs doesnt sit well with me.

I like the idea of welding the spacer on the wheel flange. I like cutting the center out and dishing the wheel out more better but im no engineer.

Csm Davis

Okay couple things, 939 and 809 axles are basically the same as to what wheels fit so just get the bridge truck setup, bang done. But if you want to use the combat wheels then just bolt on the inside set then a 6.65 spacer then outside wheel. And as to the spacer make it hollow and use normal studs inside the hub and thimble and nuts to hold inside wheel and spacer on then have the outer studs in a suitable thickness outer flange clocked half a lug space with holes in between the lugs to provide access to the inner lugs and just bolt on the outside wheel. No need for huge chunks of steel or 8" lugs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

big block 88

I just wouldnt want that much load on the hubs spaced out that far. Perhaps that is a moot point and the big rockwells wont care.

As for spacer material i want the biggest strongest chunk or metal possible at the weight of these trucks. And what most of us go out and do to them either hauling or playing offroad.

do we even know what the tire deflection is on the 1400's?

Csm Davis

I just wouldnt want that much load on the hubs spaced out that far. Perhaps that is a moot point and the big rockwells wont care.
They won't care and it shouldn'tbe past the end of the hub, and has been done for years on bridge trucks.

As for spacer material i want the biggest strongest chunk or metal possible at the weight of these trucks. And what most of us go out and do to them either hauling or playing offroad.
Then pay about 5000 for un-needed metal. You do realize the wheels are about 1/4" thick right?

do we even know what the tire deflection is on the 1400's?
Think Simp looked that up to come up with his 6.65" spacer measurement.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PyroJoe

Only problem is there's one company who's name start with a "B" that tends to buy everything out from us around here.... Half the time it doesn't even hit the yard before they've already bought it. Then the "B" company quadruples the price tag on it... And they've already bought the bridge truck axles unfortunately. I saw the old 800 series 5 ton when it had them under it and it looked bad ass. That's where I got the idea in the first place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks