• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Transfercase shifting

Csm Davis

Just a slight correction to this GREAT write up, Thank You, The correction is this, the 939 transfer case HAS a synchro for the H/L shaft, that being said and these transfers can shift on the fly, it is a lot better to treat it as a NON synchro, come to a stop to shift transfer, it WILL last a lot longer (shifting on the fly is really hard on it and not really designed for it).
Actually Ron the guys that drove these every day have told me and I have tried it they shift better if they are rolling, not really fast but rolling.

Just a slight correction to this GREAT write up, Thank You, The correction is this, the 939 transfer case HAS a synchro for the H/L shaft, that being said and these transfers can shift on the fly, it is a lot better to treat it as a NON synchro, come to a stop to shift transfer, it WILL last a lot longer (shifting on the fly is really hard on it and not really designed for it).

TexAndy

Great thread. I think this is what is wrong with my 923a2 t-case shifting problem.

I've noticed that when I turn the engine off and let the air out of the system a few pounds at a time, it gets progressively easier to operate the transfer case lever.

Also, with the engine off, air system pressurized, battery switch set to on, you can't hear anything happen when you press the button on the t-case lever. I think the transfer case interlock valve ya'll have been talking about here isn't working properly.

I think I will just disconnect it and cap the air line. High range is all the way on the floor, anyways so it's not like there's a risk of it slipping into neutral on me going down the highway.

FYI guys, the big 4 volume TM has a diagram with instructions on how to replace the interlock valve being discussed. 9-2320-272-24-1. Starting at page 3-392

Last edited:

mcmullag

just for entertainment.....I was trying to disable the front axle engagement washer on the linkage and the truck apparently moved while I had the linkage undone. it is stuck in neutral and we dragged it forward while trying to push the shaft back into the transfer case for high range. could not get it the shaft to budge even with engine running and moving truck forward. got ahold of a truck mechanic who worked on these in the Army. He said sometimes trucks got stuck in low when they came out of the field and the pushed the truck backwards and got it to go into high range or they jacked up the front axle and turned the front tires while somebody pushed the shaft in to the transfer case. he got under the truck and moved the air switch lever that the washer moves and that causes something to clunk in the transfer case, I was turning one of the front tires while the front axle was jacked up and it clunked into low range. all I am saying is jacking up the front axle so front tires are off the ground, get the air up and play with that switch the washer moves helps to move that shaft in and out of the transfer case.

brazengoat06

If your TC gets hung between gears there's physically no way to rock your 5 ton to slip your shifter into gear. I believe this was being discussed earlier in the thread.

Csm Davis

If your TC gets hung between gears there's physically no way to rock your 5 ton to slip your shifter into gear. I believe this was being discussed earlier in the thread.
You don't have to make the truck actually rock back and forth, you can just push gently on the transfer case shifter as you just bump it into drive or reverse, and then right back to neutral. This is if the lockout is working properly a lot of guys think the transfer case is hung up between gears when the lockout is actually not operating properly.

brazengoat06

My lockout works properly. So if I'm understanding you correctly one should hold the lever towards the gear selection they desire as they place the shifter into drive and the TC shifter will fall into place?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks