• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M944A1 Mobile Shop Civilian Conversion

bimota

This thread is to capture all the knowledge, tricks, and capabilities of the M944A1 Mobile Shop in Civilian Use and the steps and lesson required to make that conversion.

If you have knowledge to share please add to this thread. I'd request that entertainment oriented comments be at a minimum. We want to have fun here but also want to gather and share quality technical experiences.

We learned from the other thread that the Transfer case take out lever is problematic and either requires a lever from underneath or extra swearing and rocking of the truck to get it to disengage.

bimota

Manuals for 944A1 Shop

Who knows a good source for the technical manuals? The SEORTM manuals appear to be less than abundant but also available - so please let me know. Electronic copies preferred but hard copy also interesting.

Danl

Danl M915A1

I hope that you will post pictures, because seeing the deal . Makes it easer to comment , or give advice. I jest converted a 915 to a civy dumptruck, picture is a big help. as for TM i have none I use my Brain and Back , and busted Knuckles , and lots of cussing

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is to capture all the knowledge, tricks, and capabilities of the M944A1 Mobile Shop in Civilian Use and the steps and lesson required to make that conversion.

If you have knowledge to share please add to this thread. I'd request that entertainment oriented comments be at a minimum. We want to have fun here but also want to gather and share quality technical experiences.

We learned from the other thread that the Transfer case take out lever is problematic and either requires a lever from underneath or extra swearing and rocking of the truck to get it to disengage.
Can't help you on the transfer case issue, mine is the trailer version, but I can tell you that it helps to be a skinny fellow while working in the back, and wear a hard hat or bump cap.
I have one of three boarding ladders for mine, it's made of steel and doesn't like to be tossed around. I'm going to make some lighter weight steps, or cut down an aluminum ladder to help get in and out of it via the sides.
Which lathe is in that version?
Also, inspect your gullwing hinges, and the knuckle where the piston attaches to the inside of the gullwing doors on a regular basis.

Last edited:

bimota

Sorry for the delay - here are the photos, we got the transfer case switch and PTO generator spinning. Tools cleared out and stored for future inventory. I ordered locking handles for the three doors from a Steel Soldiers Source so i can secure the truck. South Bend 1308 Lathe 9" two chucks but no tool holders. Some impressive US hand tools, drill press, porta power, old welder. Can anyone comment on the welder? Appears to have wire feed up back but pretty old. Fuel shut off lever a tad strange if a rooky pulls it you have to go under hood to reset - what are people doing with that - do you set it up so a more positive reset from in cab? Pics next time.

Attachments

bimota

In the picture of the "hallway" you see a cord hanging - this is a 24 volt extension cord - wow, I'd like to buy some more of those for off grid power - anyone selling those - I'll pay more than the scrapper.

bimota

I need manuals right away - so anyone with a source for a manual or copy please email. This is a machine shop and I know generators so I can figure it out but the manuals will save me hours - so worth more than the copying costs. Electronic would be superior but either way. You drop at your local Kinko's or Office Depot - they scan and email or scan and print. I pay all costs and you get more than beer money. Help a steel soldier member out! I can help you with generators or possible other barter if that is better than cash.

rronning84

That is a cool old truck. When I first got to FT Sill my unit had one but it went to be auctioned off along with a couple other trucks within a month of me getting there.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. Please post some pics of the control panel(s). Have you tried to open the back panel? What about the curtains and framework?

ibjeepn

Operated one of those and the trailer mounted version over 5 years.. Loved it. except for inventory!
Emptied out one of the top bays. It would hold a sleeping bag mat perfectly, making a warm , dry place to catch some sleep.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operated one of those and the trailer mounted version over 5 years.. Loved it. except for inventory!
Emptied out one of the top bays. It would hold a sleeping bag mat perfectly, making a warm , dry place to catch some sleep.
I have the SGPRSMD, I have not tried the heater yet, how is it in the coldest of the winter?

goldneagle

The transfer case issue is present on all the M939 series truck. There is s solenoid that locks the lever in place. If you disable it you will be able to shift the lever much easier.

bimota

Prep for paint, locking handles and fuel shut off mods

Ok, project progress to date:
Locking handles installed - after install realized they are installed with screws from the outside - so security is still a way down the road. Anyone have an elegant solution?

Paint prep going well

Engine and drivetrain serviced - truck was serviced in 2011 so two batteries still good, oil and level all good. Needed grease up but after learning how to start - press throttle to floor - she starts and runs like a dream.

Drove it to DMV for registration - kinda freaked out the DMV ladies - but I'm hoping for a "special plate" - we'll see.

Fuel shut off mod - the fuel shut off handle requires under the hood reset - that was fixed with new wire clamps - so cab control shuts off and resets

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locking handles installed - after install realized they are installed with screws from the outside - so security is still a way down the road. Anyone have an elegant solution?

Get longer screws and put nylock nuts on the backside. Available at your local hardware.

caliber1

Paint prep going well

Engine and drivetrain serviced - truck was serviced in 2011 so two batteries still good, oil and level all good. Needed grease up but after learning how to start - press throttle to floor - she starts and runs like a dream.

Drove it to DMV for registration - kinda freaked out the DMV ladies - but I'm hoping for a "special plate" - we'll see.

Fuel shut off mod - the fuel shut off handle requires under the hood reset - that was fixed with new wire clamps - so cab control shuts off and resets
Handles look good bimota!! [thumbzup] Check with your local Fastenal dealer for some tamper resistant screws.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to get my hands on one of these and turn it into a camper. Lots of screening, make one side the kitchen...so many ideas.

Ord22

Nice looking truck. In the army, We called it the "Batmobile". Because the way the shop doors open, like Batman open his wings. This vehicle was used by Engineer units alot. Impressive truck when used properly.

MatthewH

Can anyone comment on the welder?
Any better pics of the welder? From other M944A1's I've looked at, they have a decent size DC unit, with a wire feeder piggybacked on top. Example, i've seen some with a Miller XMT 304, with a single spool wire feeder attached to it.
Can help out more when some pics arrive, :popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks