• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M944A1 Mobile Shop Civilian Conversion

DrillerSurplus

Clean looking truck. This thread is a great idea, look forward to seeing how it goes.

I have one of these M944A1. The truck is in good shape, but it looked like they were going to put a different bed on it or something. Nearly all the hand tools were gone & the bed was barely secured to the frame when we recovered it.

I haven't found the right TM for the truck, but here are a couple of TMs that might be useful. One is for the South Bend Lathe. The other (which barely makes it under the upload limit) is for a trailer that is pretty much the same set up as the M944A1.

Hope this helps, let us know if you find any more of the TM's - I'll do likewise.

Attachments

NEIOWA

Ok, project progress to date:
Locking handles installed - after install realized they are installed with screws from the outside - so security is still a way down the road. Anyone have an elegant solution?
Replace the screws with square or torx drive. Or if think can get away with it install screws with one way head (anti tamper as you see on restroom stalls).

bimota

Ok, more progress updates. Paint is partially done. Went for Federal Green but got Mint Green - oh well. Lowest cost high quality paint - tip of the day - Rustoleum Professional at Home Depot $37 a gallon in California (we can get much oil based anymore). I mixed three white to two dark green. Probably should have gone one more green - but it looks ok.

Doing wheel, frame and tanks etc. in Rustoleum Black. I missed the local truck pulls at the County Fair - it would have been fun but not sure what I would have learned.

Coolest addition being worked is 24 volt hydraulic pump from a pallet jack - you got it automatic bat wings - if I can pump up and down fast enough I'm hoping she'll lift off and hover - VTOL SEORTM anyone? :idea:

Attachments

12Bravo

Can anyone comment on the welder?
From the pictures it looks like to PowCon welder, Had the PowCon welder in my truck while stationed in Germany, it's a good welder (both arc and mig). as stated, watch the wing hinges, lifting cylinders, and hydraulic pumps for lifting the wings. The heater on the 944A1 is 100,000 BTU and will run you out if used with sides down. And yes the tops shelves make nice racks for sleeping (with 2 or 3 sleeping mats). I got busted for speeding down the Autobahn in mine. My 1st Sgt said I was doing 90Mph +

DrillerSurplus

From the pictures it looks like to PowCon welder, Had the PowCon welder in my truck while stationed in Germany, it's a good welder (both arc and mig). as stated, watch the wing hinges, lifting cylinders, and hydraulic pumps for lifting the wings. The heater on the 944A1 is 100,000 BTU and will run you out if used with sides down. And yes the tops shelves make nice racks for sleeping (with 2 or 3 sleeping mats). I got busted for speeding down the Autobahn in mine. My 1st Sgt said I was doing 90Mph +
At 90, you could get lift off if you put the wings out. I was bidding online for some drilling equipment yesterday & was surprised to see a semi trailer version of this come up. There was only one picture, so you couldn't tell what shape it was in or what sort of tooling it still had, but it went for under $2,000.00

I had to repeat my twelve step mantra quite a few times to stop myself from bidding.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At 90, you could get lift off if you put the wings out. I was bidding online for some drilling equipment yesterday & was surprised to see a semi trailer version of this come up. There was only one picture, so you couldn't tell what shape it was in or what sort of tooling it still had, but it went for under $2,000.00

I had to repeat my twelve step mantra quite a few times to stop myself from bidding.
Wow! That's close to being free! What location was that?

bimota

I'd be interested in trading for a trailer version or buying - in CA trailer titles are nothing but a 33,000lb truck is $1500 a year in weight fees.

DrillerSurplus

I'd be interested in trading for a trailer version or buying - in CA trailer titles are nothing but a 33,000lb truck is $1500 a year in weight fees.

At the Fernley auction I posted about earlier, there was only one partial picture of the auction lot that you wouldn't recognize if you had not seen the Southwest shop units. The description said it was a trailer, so I assume it was the semi trailer model SGPRSMD.

I need to contact TNT Auction anyway about logistics on the stuff I bought at the auction. I'll see if they will contact the buyer of that lot & see if they want to flip it. I didn't see for sure what price it sold for but I think under $2,000. Lots of ifs, so it is a long shot but worth a try.

bimota

DrillerSurplus, yes, thank you, please - ask them. You can give them my number (831) 524-0620 or email at offgridtod@gmail.com - I can have a driver out of Sacramento right away so they would not even need to move it. Without being able to inspect it is a tough call on price but I can see doubling their investment if the unit is more of less complete not an issue (assuming a $2000 plus auction fees spend).

DrillerSurplus

DrillerSurplus, yes, thank you, please - ask them. You can give them my number (831) 524-0620 or email at offgridtod@gmail.com - I can have a driver out of Sacramento right away so they would not even need to move it. Without being able to inspect it is a tough call on price but I can see doubling their investment if the unit is more of less complete not an issue (assuming a $2000 plus auction fees spend).

OK, I'll be calling them tomorrow & I'll keep you posted.

I may have someone from Rancho Cordova going there tomorrow to pick up my stuff. If so, I'll have them do some recon with photos since contacting buyer & getting response will take time (assuming TNT is willing to contact buyer).

indy4x4fab

Banned
Ok, I'm not inside yet for specifics on the tools but getting close. Exterior paint is done - check - not bad for Rustoleum and elbow grease. What do you think about the black wheels. :driver:
You painted it mint chocolate chip green? Don't tell me you are turning this in to and Ice cream truck, while that would be a really cool Ice cream truck.

bimota

Remote power cord pin out and cable color code for 3 phase remote power to M944A1

Please, I requested only serious posts. The color was explained in the post. Graphics are coming soon.
Yesterday I fired up the generator and got full power to the shop. Problem now is remote power and the large remote power cord. I need help with the color code vs the manual. Manual says Black, White, Red for phase 1,2,3 - but the cord has an Orange lead - anyone know what the Orange cable cord is for? I am running an MEP-003 for remote power - need to align cut cord wired to MEP-003 to the truck remote power input - see photos.2013-01-03_17-04-40_330.jpg2013-01-03_17-04-07_913.jpg

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have three phase, but that means you should have common and neutral bonded together somewhere. The biggest, longest, fattest pin is the ground, so all you ahve to do to find common is find one pin that is shorted (zero ohms) to that. All the ones I've seen use the standard Black - phase 1, red - phase 2, and blue - phase 3, with white being common and green being ground. So, plug in the cord into the plug on the power input and see what feeds which. Try to identify which outlets might be on each of the three phases, then look for no or very low resistance (ohms) on one of the 'hot' wires - bingo, that identified that phase!

bimota

Extension cord to generator for M944A1

Ok, got the extension cord sorted and the remote and main power up and working well with my MEP-003. Attached is the picture of the wiring from the MEP-003 to the truck.

To convert civilian colors to Amphenol - Black - Red - Orange and White as Neutral - this is what I found out from the cord that came with the truck. Page 59 of TM 9-4940-559-14&P manual says Black Phase A, White Phase B, Red Phase 3 and Green or Green with Yellow Stripe - Neutral - WTF? - This did not work and still not sure what they are talking about.

Now - where do I get these Amphenol connectors to make various extension cords? MEP to M944A1 power cord wiring.jpgAmphenol for M944A1 power.jpg2013-01-03_17-04-40_330.jpg

bimota

M994A1 extension cord for remote power

Ok, here is the remote power cable Amphenol connector - can anyone help find a source for these at reasonable cost? Must be dozens of these cords laying on someone's bone yard. My truck came with a 50 foot extension cord with this connector to go to the truck and the male end to go to a remote generator - but the MEP-003 and other gensets that I know all have bare wire connectors. So this cable must have been for a specific genset match - anyone? The manual for the trailer version does not mention an extension cord or remote power cord. I'd like to get 1-3 more of these cable so I can run various generators and make up quick connect extension cords.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks