• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M971 trailer recovery from Nashville TN

jdknech

well, i just got my paid in full notice this afternoon:jumpin::jumpin:

I will ne going after my new M971 10ton trailer in the next few days.. it coming from nashville TN.. and i will be going after it with my M932A1..

any tips or advice is welcomed.. this is my first "semi" trailer.. i have hauled pleanty of long trailers before, but never in a tractor-trailer combo..

also, anything i need to know anout the base in nashville?

heres a few pics.. i know there not the best, but i will take plenty of pics on the trip! :driver:

Attachments

jdknech

well, i got the call on thursday the 14th from the GL rep, and he gave me 2 options on load out, the next morning (friday the 15th) or that coming monday.. well i went for the friday option.. so i spent the rest of the day putting my rear axle together on the M932.. (had a axle leak) and prepairing for the trip..

I left at 03:00 nashville time, fueled up about 30min into the trip (OUCH!! 120gal including the jerry cans) I made good time, and pulled in at 06:15.. i had allowed some time incase there was problems on the trip, thankfully there was not any!

i was supposed to meet the GL rep at the lot at 08:00, (off site, much easier then a on base pick-up) but he had someone open it early (07:30) so i could get started hooking it up, and looking it over.. he got there at 08:30 and we signed all required paper work, and i was on my way!! :driver:

well all was well until i was just outside of nashville, and i noticed the side dore on the trailer was slightly open, so i pulled off the next exit, and used a strap to hold it closed for the trip.

the rest of the trip was good, and SLOW!!! but no other real problems to speek of.. other then no trailer brakes.. but I have fixed that problem (line blockage mid-trailer)

here is some pics, enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Make sure you have the IV cable (electrical connector) and that all the pins are OK. Those trailers have an air ride fifth wheel plate and air ride suspension. If any of the air bags are bad you may have issues with an air leak. Take some extra air line and some way to clamp off air lines if needed. I can't remember it those trailers have straight air brakes or air over hydraulic. If they are straight air brakes you can cage them but that is a heavy trailer and pulling it very far with the brakes caged would be very dangerous.

jdknech

Make sure you have the IV cable (electrical connector) and that all the pins are OK. Those trailers have an air ride fifth wheel plate and air ride suspension. If any of the air bags are bad you may have issues with an air leak. Take some extra air line and some way to clamp off air lines if needed. I can't remember it those trailers have straight air brakes or air over hydraulic. If they are straight air brakes you can cage them but that is a heavy trailer and pulling it very far with the brakes caged would be very dangerous.
i do have a good IV cable that came with my truck.. its been tested..

do you mean like airhose like you buy to go to a air-compressor, or like whats on my M932 thats used for the airbrakes? and when you say block airflow, do you consider a bolt in the endof the line with a clamp on it a good temp fix?

from what i can tell, its air over hydraulic brakes..

thanks again for the info- Josh

jedawson1

That's a Guard unit in Nashville and its close to the interstate. I've driven by it several times. Getting around will be easy, not sure how the personnel will treat you though, I have seen staff there every time I've driven by so odds are you'll be good to go. There's a nice new indoor gun range and store about 1/2mile from there which is why I've been by the Guard post multiple times.

Good luck!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides the regular tool box, carry an assortment of small pipe plugs. Several of each. 1/8th", 1/4", as a couple of 3/8". 1/2" isn't used much, but sometimes..... Also, a handfull of brake shoe rivets. If there is a leak, downstream, you can disconnect the line, insert a rivet, and re-hook it. They are good to stop an otherwise massive air leak. The purpose is to only get you our of the main traffic, to a safe place to make proper repairs.

Since its running air bags, it is probably new enough to be using the DOT 3/8" plastic lines, but probably hose to the pots themselves, unless they are air/hydraulic. Then have some DOT 5.

Good Luck

jdknech

thanks for the help guys! now if I can just get ahold of the GL rep!! I have been trying yesterday, and today.. left messages and no return call.. I am off work thursday, and would really like to pick it up then.. any suggestions? I am thinking of just calling the GL main office if I havent heard from him by tomorrow around noonish.. is this a good/bad idea?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Usually you have to call Phoenix to get the local number. I would give them a call in case the number has changed. My guess is that the GL guy from Fort Campbell is the one you will be dealing with. If it is a National Guard Unit they may be able to release the trailer to you without the GL rep being there. I have picked up a a couple of Guard units and most have release authority.

jdknech

Well, no responce from the gl rep today, so I called the main office and they said I have the correct number.. She (main office rep) took my info in a email, and said she would forward it to the local rep.. But still no responce.. Getting ahold of the rep has now taken longer then my EUC took.. Plus I have tomorrow off work, and would really like to get it then, instead of burning a vac day from work! (That I'm gonna need for haspin rally).

Sorry for the rant folks, just had to get it out of my system :twisted:

jdknech

Well, I got a call today (3/14) from the gl rep.. He originally asked if I could pick up on Monday (middle of my work week) but when I asked if we could arrange another day, we agreed on 08:00 this morning (3/15 friday) big thanks to Jason! (Gl rep) he took awhile to get back to me, but he did not have to agree to this morning, and is making a special trip! He was pleasant to deal with so far.. Well I'm gearing up to head out.. Should be pulling out in about a hour (04:00) I will try to take some good pics!

Oh, and the sleet/snow started here about 2 hours ago :(. Whoo who! Lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks