• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M989A1 recovery and towing tips.

Plane Fast

Hey guys. I would like to know from anyone that has owned or towed a m989a1. What are some things to watch for before towing? Any strange towing habits?(other then backing up) Does it track nice with the front steer? ( I would think that it would turn inside the truck radius)
I'm doing my recovery on Wed. with my 923A2. It will be about 700 mile round trip!:shock: (Does not look that far on the map!)
So any good advice would be great. (And yes I have read the TM)

Oh its in Savannah GA.

Attachments

Last edited:

M1075

Those trailers are really nice but also very specialized. Backing up is a nightmare, but you can manage with the lockout pin inserted. The one thing I would be aware of is the amount of air this trailer can use. In a low speed situation of backing for example, you truck will run out of air fast.

FloridaAKM

A guy up near Camp Blanding here in Florida, bought 6 or 7 of those M989A1 trailers in the GL auction sometime late last year. He had to haul them no more than 20 miles home & I don't know if he hauled them or towed them. The only reason I even know anything about them it that I bid on a couple of them & lost; then they showed up @ his farm (out on Hwy 16) a month or so later. Who the owner is, is unknown to me, I just pass his farm on the way to Jax DLA when recovering more yard ornaments. I have no idea how the trailer tows, there is a smaller military trailer that some one gave me years ago, that is very light, that has the same tire setup, that you couldn't tow over 30 mph as it would start oscillating badly. It only got towed home & never went back on the road due to is towing problems. Your trailer is too heavy to do what mine did. Good luck with your trip & take pictures or it didn't happen.

PowerstrokeNC

I have used the heck out of mine loaded and unloaded, They tow great. When unloaded you will see a little tracking back and forth especially if the road is uneven. The air comment is correct they use a fair amount when using a lot of brake applications/low speed stuff. Depending on the tongue you have, if you turn sharp enough it hits the rear of the truck, so try not to get pinched too hard in a turn. If you have extended tongue this is not a problem. However then you must watch the air hoses, since they extended the tongue they didn't change length of hoses (go figure). So you can make really sharp turns without contact but the hose is about 12" too short so can get tight like a banjo string and damage something.

PowerstrokeNC

Looking closer at your pic, looks like you prob have the short tongue. Also hard to tell but you might be missing trailer wiring plug so would need one of those for lights. I would also bring something/plan to get the spare off the mount in case you need to change a tire on the trip.

Plane Fast

Those trailers are really nice but also very specialized. Backing up is a nightmare, but you can manage with the lockout pin inserted. The one thing I would be aware of is the amount of air this trailer can use. In a low speed situation of backing for example, you truck will run out of air fast.
Thanks, that's a good heads up on the air.

Plane Fast

A guy up near Camp Blanding here in Florida, bought 6 or 7 of those M989A1 trailers in the GL auction sometime late last year. He had to haul them no more than 20 miles home & I don't know if he hauled them or towed them. The only reason I even know anything about them it that I bid on a couple of them & lost; then they showed up @ his farm (out on Hwy 16) a month or so later. Who the owner is, is unknown to me, I just pass his farm on the way to Jax DLA when recovering more yard ornaments. I have no idea how the trailer tows, there is a smaller military trailer that some one gave me years ago, that is very light, that has the same tire setup, that you couldn't tow over 30 mph as it would start oscillating badly. It only got towed home & never went back on the road due to is towing problems. Your trailer is too heavy to do what mine did. Good luck with your trip & take pictures or it didn't happen.
Thanks I'll take some pics.

Plane Fast

I have used the heck out of mine loaded and unloaded, They tow great. When unloaded you will see a little tracking back and forth especially if the road is uneven. The air comment is correct they use a fair amount when using a lot of brake applications/low speed stuff. Depending on the tongue you have, if you turn sharp enough it hits the rear of the truck, so try not to get pinched too hard in a turn. If you have extended tongue this is not a problem. However then you must watch the air hoses, since they extended the tongue they didn't change length of hoses (go figure). So you can make really sharp turns without contact but the hose is about 12" too short so can get tight like a banjo string and damage something.
Thanks . Ya its has the short tow bar. The tracking back and forth. Does it increase in frequency, or does it just do a slow wonder?

Plane Fast

Looking closer at your pic, looks like you prob have the short tongue. Also hard to tell but you might be missing trailer wiring plug so would need one of those for lights. I would also bring something/plan to get the spare off the mount in case you need to change a tire on the trip.
Thanks. Ya I'm hoping the trailer wire is in the locked storage box. If not I will have the use my portable 24volt lights.
The spare tire lift. I'm still working on.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having owned 3 here's a few tips:

• Check the rear hub temps early into your journey, the brakes tend to stick if sitting to long.
  • The air lines are barely able to stretch through a tight turn, best bring air lines extensions with gladhands or else you may pull them out.
  • There are no "right on red" turns with this trailer nor any sharp maneuvering - PLAN AHEAD!
  • You can make tire to tire contact if you turn to sharply with a tractor but you should be ok with your M923A2.
  • The rear storage box is filled with goodies (usually).
  • Backing up without a pin - push the tongue one way and steer against it to keep it straight when backing up. The front tires wont like you though but it works.

You'll enjoy the trailer, they pull nice and have plenty of uses. Don't expect to break any land speed records with it. Good luck! [thumbzup]

Plane Fast

Thanks. So would you say for a right turn. Half of the left lane would be adequate ? I've towed many large set ups, but none with front steer. I'm not planning much back road running, mostly interstate. I wonder if I should stop at the state weigh stations or not?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. So would you say for a right turn. Half of the left lane would be adequate ? I've towed many large set ups, but none with front steer. I'm not planning much back road running, mostly interstate. I wonder if I should stop at the state weigh stations or not?
That should be enough, I've gotten around the Ft Hood area doing exactly that. My personal advice is don't stop at a station as it's a POV (privately owned vehicle) and you'll confused the guys there as military vehicles with all sorts of special exemptions and etc..but of course the obligatory "check your state by laws" for a definite answer.

PowerstrokeNC

Thanks . Ya its has the short tow bar. The tracking back and forth. Does it increase in frequency, or does it just do a slow wonder?
Its very subtle, you can see it in mirror, but not feel it. Goes away when loaded. But again you can't feel it. I have towed 5th wheels, travel trailers etc and this thing tows like its not even there. It will be cake, I am sure you will like it.

PowerstrokeNC

I don't stop at weigh stations. But your results may vary ;)

PowerstrokeNC

Also on the turning, I usually watch it in the mirror and you can see the outside edge, when you turn it starts to tuck in behind truck, I usually don't let the marker light thats on that corner go out of sight and that is plenty enough room to avoid contact.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks