• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 civilian alternator not charging - new Delco installed (updated)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For sure everything you add needs to be fused. And all cables going through holes needs a grommet. I will be visiting your incredible city here very soon and don’t wanna see a flaming hmmwv.

MattNC

And you need all those 12V draws to be coming from a 24V to 12V converter that draws evenly from both batteries. Lots of us myself included use the Pyle units. I haven’t had any issues with mine but I put a heavy duty switch on the power leads running to it from the battery as step down transformers can draw even when not operating anything and I didn’t want them to kill the batteries when the truck is parked. Drawing high loads from one battery only is a big problem.

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're going with a 160 amp 24 volt alt and a 24/12 step down with new batteries. Hopefully based on delivery we'll be back on the road by next weekend. Thanks for all the help guys.

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the Eaton convertors I found, which do you guys suggest?

Eaton Site
I went with the Eaton Cooper Bussmann Sure Power 21100C00 Converter, 100A, 24V to 12V. It’s large. If you don’t have anything mounted in the compartment next the batteries you’ll be fine with that and the fuse box. I had issues getting it in but it’s mounted

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So....new wiring, new 160 Amp 24 volt alternator, new 24-12 step down and fuse box. I also installed a full kill switch. No issues at all now. I have a ton of extra stuff to include 2 1500 amps, a sub and speakers, light bar, back up camera etc etc. Not a single problem. I appreciate all the help and advice.

Blue sea systems ST Blade ATO/ATC fuse block
Eaton Cooper Bussmann Sure Power 21100C00 Converter. - I had a small amp mounted in the smaller seat section and we still got this monster mounted.
160 Amp 24 Volt Alt kit from - thosemilitaryguys.com

Attachments

Action

How hot do those items in box next to batteries get? they have fins to help with heat disapation, but there isno room for air to move, or even ventilation in that compartment.
1623696860484.png
Are the batteries held down with 2-sided tape?
And, is it just me, or does the cable between the batteries look kind of thin...
1623696745812.png

mountaindogsix

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The batteries are locked in on the bottom...nothing is moving. Cables are fine...as far as the heat, that wasn't an installation issue when I researched the build. We'll see.