• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 driven to fast

yellowstonebill

A farmer friend of mine drove my M1030 over night that I had for sale and I told him not to go over 53 mph. I think that he drove it to fast because he said that it no problem going 60. I also noticed that he had used a half of a tank of fuel. It was in his heated garage when I picked it up and took 3 attempts to start which has never happened before. It starts all the time at 15 degrees and I have never used starting fluid.

Anyway, I loaded it on my trailer and took it home where it will not start to unload it. There is no smoke from the exhaust when I turn it over at all. Some black soot did come out if it though. There was also a lot of engine oil on the frame which was visible on the trailer. I checked the oil and it was just over 2 quarts low.

Could he have damaged the injectors driving it to fast causing no fuel delivery. I can't see where the oil came from because I haven't been able to start it.

Last time I let someone drive it alone. Please advise.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
60mph should be doable in one, as long as it's not 3.08 geared and on 36's with no OD. (But that combo probably would never happen since it's so many eras of the platform) I cruise at 60-65 in mine all the time.

Lawdog734

A farmer friend of mine drove my M1030 over night that I had for sale and I told him not to go over 53 mph. I think that he drove it to fast because he said that it no problem going 60. I also noticed that he had used a half of a tank of fuel. It was in his heated garage when I picked it up and took 3 attempts to start which has never happened before. It starts all the time at 15 degrees and I have never used starting fluid.
Curious where you came up with the "53mph" part? Even the data plate says 55mph is max in high range. I top mine out at 60mph because I've heard that once you get above that you start running close to redline.

Now as far as everything else, it sounds lIke you have some investigating to do. It sounds like your "friend" did some joyriding in it, but isn't inclined to tell you exactly what he did with it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never use starting fluid on these motors....now, no idea what your buddy did, but it ain't important.
troubleshooting is required to determine if the glow plug system is operable....you have not told us enough about symtoms
except it won't start.
1.when you turn the start switch to Run, what does the wait light do?
2. Is there truly fuel in it? Don't trust the gauge.

yellowstonebill

The glow lug light turns on and the goes off in a few seconds. The volt gauge also indicates that the glow plugs are cycling because it goes up and down. I will check the fuel in the morning. thanks for the replies.

leo4x4

I had the same exact issue you need to ground your box to the alternator the alternator back to the back of the motor that's the grounds one-sided that there was no problem afterwards

leo4x4

Because of the aluminum body this Hmmwv don't have really good grounds so just wanna ground strap from the box under the windshield wiper box to the alternator ground and from the alternator ground to the back of the motor you have to open the dog house

yellowstonebill

I told him to drive 53 because of the warning on the speedometer. I bought a maintenance truck with the generator/welder etc. a few years back in Vegas at the air base. I flew down to drive it home. I called a military equipment supplier in Ogden and they told me that I could drive it at 70. Well I did not make it back to North Dakota. So now I don't take any chances. I still have the Chevy sitting in the back 40.

leo4x4

This euc V's can go faster I will push you to 70 but I would do 60 65 no problem I have a friend who has won a cruise is all time at 65 miles an hour

Dock Rocker

Just hit Google and search for HMMWV ground issue there are quite a few different threads here and elsewhere on the troubles hmmwv's have with grounding. The best thing you can do is get a new ground harness and install it. Or you can make your own.

yellowstonebill

I just looked at my Humvee and I'm not sure where the ground needs to be placed. I was told under the wiper box. Is that the washer fluid on the drivers side. I hooked up a jumper cable from the grd on the generator to the engine and still no start. Shouldn't there sunburned diesel come out of the exhaust when I turn it over?