• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 newbie looking for advice

schersch78

Hey guys! I bought an 87 M998 w/the 6.5 NA, 4 dr soft top on GP a couple months back. While waiting on my EUC to clear (arrggh!), I've been gathering components I want to get it dressed up. I've been seriously considering the PlanB hard top, slant back, and 4 hard door kit. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Plan B stuff that could chime in. Also, one big downside I see is the window setup they use. I'm just picturing driving around and not even being able to rest my arm on the window sill. Anyone out there swap out the sliders for something different?
I've gotten a deep water fording kit, LED lights, airlift rear bumper, keyed ignition, and a few other tidbits to install when she comes in. I also like the idea of the lizard skin products for the interior. Any other priorities I should put toward the top of the list?

Attachments

Awol

Nice looking truck! Sounds like you're going all out!

The windows on the Plan B doors would drive me nuts. They remind me of a drive thru window. I don't think there's much you could do about the window situation, because the doors have a bend in them that prevents a window from sliding down all he way. I've read both good and bad things about their slant back roofs. I personally don't like the shape of the rear hatch area that much, but overall it isn't a bad alternative to a factory roof.

3jacks

I put the lizard skin sound and thermal coating in mine. Not a bad DIY project. I'm putting my mats back in over that...just because more is better.

grounding harness and clean all grounds in the vehicle.

If if you go with standard Xdoors, there are companies that sell them with skins on them and or buy used ones and plan on many hours of work to refurbish them. I'm almost done with mine and I have about 7 or 8 hours in EACH door. And they aren't finished yet. But I'm not a resin expert so it takes me longer than most.

If you've got a good sheet metal shop near you I'd take the vehicle to them and see about fabricating your own slant back and hard top kit. Might save you some coin that way and you get it just how you want it.

infidel got me

SAFTEY FIRST-- check all geared hubs fluid/bearings. Then ft.end-- ball joints, tie rod ends, idler, pitman arm, tie rod ends. Then check the rear tie rod ends/ball joints. Next belts hoses, coolant, engine, trans, diff, transfer case oils... WHEW got that outta the way--- now start bolting on add ons. Not trying to be a Betty Downer---- But new hard doors and led lights are no good when your wheel comes off. Good luck with your new ride!!!!!!!!!!:beer: I had to edit this post because seatbelts are never mentioned. The last truck I got from Texas ( not picking on the lone star state) but the sun killed em. Thread worn and not safe.

Last edited:

schersch78

Thanks 3Jacks. I picked up some xdoors coming out of MT on the site that must not be named. I own a machine shop, do design work, and have a great relationship with a local fab shop that does great work. Once everything gets under my roof, I plan to use the original xdoors and design and have fabbed my own hard top and slant back. Maybe I'll come out with a kit that doesn't cost $10k!!!

And Infidel got me: not a Betty Downer at all. That's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear about and need to make sure I don't lose sight of while I'm getting all the "less important" cosmetics the way I want them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Any other priorities I should put toward the top of the list? )

I apologize if you were offended, I was just trying to answer your posted question.

Last edited:

Bravojmc

Thanks 3Jacks. I picked up some xdoors coming out of MT on the site that must not be named. I own a machine shop, do design work, and have a great relationship with a local fab shop that does great work. Once everything gets under my roof, I plan to use the original xdoors and design and have fabbed my own hard top and slant back. Maybe I'll come out with a kit that doesn't cost $10k!!!

And Infidel got me: not a Betty Downer at all. That's the kind of stuff I wanted to hear about and need to make sure I don't lose sight of while I'm getting all the "less important" cosmetics the way I want them.
Hope it not the guy on fleabay from MT selling x doors... I wanted to buy some from him and I wanted to come pick them up and he gave me a straight up lie of reason I couldnt pick them up.... then would return any emails back... took him for a SCAMER!

kcobean

I have a Plan B rig. The top and rear are nice. The doors are decent but yes the window design is not optimal. They're integrated into the door, so it would take some serious modification to swap them for something else. They don't open very far and thus air flow inside the truck is poor even with the rear open.

IMG_1629.JPGIMG_1631.JPGIMG_1633.JPGIMG_1635.JPGIMG_1637.JPGIMG_1639.JPGIMG_1641.JPG

schersch78

Really Juanprado! I think this belongs in the classifieds section. Don't hit me up with sales pitches in this forum, I'm pretty sure the moderators frown on this kind of thing.

schersch78

Hope it not the guy on fleabay from MT selling x doors... I wanted to buy some from him and I wanted to come pick them up and he gave me a straight up lie of reason I couldnt pick them up.... then would return any emails back... took him for a SCAMER!
Yes, it's probably one in the same. I used the buy it now function on Sunday afternoon and had an email setting up the freight with the uni****pers about 9 this morning. I'm pretty sure it's legit. I told a really good friend of mine that's big into this stuff about the buy and he said he knows the guy. I guess I'll find out in about a week if they show up and are as advertised.

schersch78

I have a Plan B rig. The top and rear are nice. The doors are decent but yes the window design is not optimal. They're integrated into the door, so it would take some serious modification to swap them for something else. They don't open very far and thus air flow inside the truck is poor even with the rear open.

View attachment 691592View attachment 691593View attachment 691594View attachment 691595View attachment 691596View attachment 691597View attachment 691598
Yeah, that's part of what I was afraid of with those little windows. Nice looking truck, though! I like the way their stuff looks, but have only seen pictures online. Glad to hear you're pleased with it.

Bravojmc

Yes, it's probably one in the same. I used the buy it now function on Sunday afternoon and had an email setting up the freight with the uni****pers about 9 this morning. I'm pretty sure it's legit. I told a really good friend of mine that's big into this stuff about the buy and he said he knows the guy. I guess I'll find out in about a week if they show up and are as advertised.
I hope you get your doors. Let us know what happens.

jeffy777

Congratulations. Glad you are a part of the club!

Midwest Military and Plan B Supply have nice kits. I like the doors slightly better from Midwest Military they have a cup holder. Others do it too. But I have yet to see described web sites selling a part per say.

I don't care what doors you have, driving without doors is they best. (As far as I am concerned.)
I think I would think long and hard about the slant back. It looks cool on the outside driving past but I am not sure it would be enjoyable to drive or to be in. It will be like driving a cave. Visibility in HMMWV's is low with the doors on. It is a lot less with a metal slant back. It I had one I would be thinking about air conditioning.

Lawdog734

Congratulations. Glad you are a part of the club!

I don't care what doors you have, driving without doors is they best. (As far as I am concerned.)
I think I would think long and hard about the slant back. It looks cool on the outside driving past but I am not sure it would be enjoyable to drive or to be in. It will be like driving a cave. Visibility in HMMWV's is low with the doors on. It is a lot less with a metal slant back. It I had one I would be thinking about air conditioning.
While I don't disagree that he should look long and hard about really wanting a slantback, it's not for the reasons you suggest. Let's face it, when most of the uninformed public thinks of a HMMWV, they tend to think of one with a slanted rear end and a machine gun on top, so for many it's just about how it looks. I personally wouldn't bother with an aftermarket kit, but a military slantback kit will just about always carry more value as a long-term investment than a soft-top and you don't have to worry about the top wearing out or tearing. As far as visibility, the visibility isn't any worse than a 4-man soft-top with the bed cover on it. Where I think it does lack is the gun-roofs typically leak like sieves, are a little louder and they're heavy. A 3-speed truck is hardly a speed-demon as it is so adding a 600lb gunroof, X-Doors and a sponson/hatch setup only takes a turtle of a truck and makes it worse. It also is lacking as far as a utility function - I find myself using my GMV setup considerably more than my slantback. The slantback cuts down on your available storage space significantly compared to something with an open back on it.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the half doors from Midwest but have not installed them yet. I am trying to get them to make an upper part of the doors with the window to bolt onto their half doors. Now that would be the best of both worlds for the winter and summer.

Mark

DLJIII

I put the lizard skin sound and thermal coating in mine. Not a bad DIY project. I'm putting my mats back in over that...just because more is better.

grounding harness and clean all grounds in the vehicle.

If if you go with standard Xdoors, there are companies that sell them with skins on them and or buy used ones and plan on many hours of work to refurbish them. I'm almost done with mine and I have about 7 or 8 hours in EACH door. And they aren't finished yet. But I'm not a resin expert so it takes me longer than most.

If you've got a good sheet metal shop near you I'd take the vehicle to them and see about fabricating your own slant back and hard top kit. Might save you some coin that way and you get it just how you want it.
I second that, I sold the cargo cover, doors, soft top, tailgate and fabricated my own wagon style hardtop and rear to enclose everything.
Making it yourself is a lot of work, fun but a lot of work and extremely cheaper than buying something.
I made my extended hardtop for about 600 bucks. That included C pillar, D Pillar, rear door, side door, enclosing everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks