• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Weird Starting Issue

sbob4579

Hi, I recently got a 1992 m998 HMMWV and when I start it, the battery voltage meter fluctuates steadily for the first 2 minutes. Could someone help me with this issue. Thanks!

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfectly normal as the glow plug controller continues to heat the GP's. I think only the S3 box stops this, but again, its normal.

jeffy777

What Lionel said... I think it is called 'Afterglow' I find it is a good warm-up procedure not to move until after the truck is finished doing this process. You could get a s3 controller and I believe that has no after glow.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I do the same with my '94, its the warm up period, unless its really cold out, then I wait till the temp needle starts to move. I wouldn't change it out unless you start to have problems sbob4579. Just my opinion, but why fix what isn't broken.

DLJIII

Mine does the same thing, I was afraid my batteries were weak or the alternator was acting up.
I dug around here and finally found the same answer but, I am glad you asked just as reinforcement for my peace of mind.