• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

major starting problem, please help!

Dmoser

I went outside today to start my truck to do some running around. I get in and cycle my glow plugs for about 10-15 seconds. turn the key and it doesn't want to fire over. stop and recycle the plugs, turn the key to start, cranks for a few seconds then just stops. I can hear the starter relay clicking so i know that its not the ignition switch. i really hope my starter isn't kaput. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always check you batteries first. Full charge and load tested.

Winter in SD (or anywhere else) can kill a battery very quickly.

Dmoser

batteries are brand new (a couple weeks old) Exide fleet elite heavy duty truck batteries. and it didnt slow down as it was cranking, it just stopped.

Dmoser

update: went outside and listened again when i turned the key because the relay click sounded a bit loud. stuck my head out of the door while turning the key and heard the distinct click of a starter solenoid.

Dmoser

thats what i was scared of. its been having trouble starting lately and i think that has something to do with me not being able to get an after glow off of my glow plugs and that extended crank could have caused the motor to go out. are there any 24v gear reduction starters out there for a 6.2?

BIG_RED

Yup. They sell them on ebay. A friend of mine needed a weird starter for something and bought one on ebay from DBelectrical. He is happy with it. I think they carry CUCV starters. (i'm not affiliated, just thought I'd throw out a brand).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder, per the SS Forum Policies, Do Not post a Link to an Active Ebay Auction unless it is your own.

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Link to a seller, not an item, as posting an active auction is against the site rules.
Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

If you do a bit of searching, there have been several recent threads on gear reduction starters. Be sure to fabricate a support bracket.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, especially when there is only one available.

I understand there was no intention of breaking the rule, or collusion, in this case. Sometimes rules do not help.

Dmoser

Hopefully this weekend ill be replacing my starter if i can get fast enough shipping. I dont have any tools available at home (they are all at work), does anybody know off hand what size the bolt heads are so i know what to take home?

kipman

I think 15 mm, not 100% sure, get new bolts, I put the gear reduction starter on my 1009, love it, make sure you do the Doghead relay mod, you will notice the new relay makes a loud thunk when engaged, you know it is heavy duty.

Dmoser

Yea I figure hats not a bad idea. I don't want the relay to go out and ruin my new starter XD. I'll bring me standard size wrenches also just in cass

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It isn't very hard. Just hard to get at. You might jack up the truck and allow the axle to hang down. Allows easier access to the starter.

Last edited:

DonK

Starter motor must be no good if the solenoid has power but nothing turns. I'd try to have it rebuilt somewhere local.
Maybe....I've seen this where the solenoid engages but nothing else happens, the Starter doesn't turn, etc. This can be caused by Carbon build up or a burnt spot on the Solenoid disc which closes to complete the circuit. Try tapping on the Solenoid with a lite weight or plastic hammer a few times and try to start it. if it turns over or trys to turn over, the soleniod is the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks