• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making a Deuce a (better) highway vehicle?

.79 od x 4.9 x 2000 x 43 in tires= 66 mph... .79 od x 6.72 x 2000 x 43 in tires=48 mph standard trans no od 1x4.9 x 2000 x 43 in tires is 52 mph so if you have a trans with no od its almost equal to a trans with od 4 mph faster i dont know how much putting in od costs bet its not 3600 though ..oh your top speed with od is .79od x 6.72 x 2600 x46 in tires = 67 mph and your truck with 4.9s .79 x 4.9 x 2600 x 46 =92 mph

Last edited:

tm america

15.5s are actually 46.7 inches tall top speed is 69mph gps verified.how about 4.90s with 46s how big of a parachute would you need to stop it from that speed

Last edited:

Mark2X2

ANY vehicle can be made extraordinarily safe or extraordinarily dangerous. It depends on the modification, the quality of the modification, and your budget. I agree this truck is a great platform to modify. That's why I decided to buy one.

I was under the impression that the big Michelin tires were rated for 70 mph. But I could be wrong. I think Singling-Out the truck makes sense. Why? Because in most of the pics I've viewed these trucks are still running on the original tires. What is that; 30 or even 40 + years? Rubber deteriorates even standing still. A 40 year old tire with 100% tread is far more dangerous than a 1 year old tire with 50% tread.
My M35A2 came with 6 new tires. If the former units of these trucks belonged to drove them at all, they had to replace tires. NDT's don't last long at all.

tm america

i get 14 pulling my m105 at those speeds .i have a disease that makes my foot go to the floor whenever i drive my deuce [thumbzup]i would be happy to be able to maintin speed in hills and wheen pulling a big trailer in head winds.i have been wanting to swap a cummins into my truck for a long time but i have grown to love this multi fuel idea:grin:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the end of the day if you want a truck that looks like a M35 that will do 75mph, stop well, and ride fairly decent you would be better off to swap the cab over to a road tractor of some sort. The m35 is a slow 6x6 militry truck and no matter what mods you do to the truck the improvemnts will be very minimal. You might end up with a slightly faster truck and lot less money. The M35A2 is what it is. Most of the concerns listed here could be eliminated by simply buying a 5ton truck.

Last edited:
hey get this straight i dont want a to go 75 mph in a deuce ever....i want better fuel milage at 50 mph period..and the truck i do this to will only ever have a camper in it. so no big loads or pulling huge amounts . its my retirement truck so new seats new mufflers yes twin stacks. better lights, power steering,cab heater,radial tires singles,cab insulation. hard top. crawl through into camper. rear winch( electric) and a few more mods .some guys play golf my hobby is traveling and canoing . i might even see how many ss members i can come see. i know retirement at 55 is going to drive me nutty .

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny: did not mean to offend. I suppose I'm not up to the challenge of remaking a M35 into the truck you desire. GOOD LUCK!

hey i drove a real deuce for 24 years.now i want what a deuce should be if the army thought about it for a while.anyway i could buy a 6x6 international but they dont have the articulation of a deuce and a good one is 50 grand . a deuce m35a3 completely redon is less than 20 grand another 15 for camper , faster gears and lockers and lockouts . cheaper than a dually and 5th wheel camper and if i want to drive through the ditch well it is still a deuce just go lol

Last edited:

toddm

My Duece and I both like no faster than 45mph. I have 11.00-20's on it and it will go 60 but I don't really like the idea of fixing a blown up engine. Also when I sell the Duece someday I know how it's been treated since I have owned it, so I won't feel bad in saying I have taken real good care of it. Not that I really would ever sell it, but circumstances change and you never know. In the meantime my son and I will just enjoy driving, modifying and working on the Duece. Thanks Todd

Attachments

tm america

ya sometimes i go 50 in mine .then i put it in od and take it up to 69mph.Guess i must like changing engines:confused:oh wait i've been driving it over 7yrs like that no problems .Ya i'm sure keeping it under 65 would probably be a little easier on it but the governed them at 2600 for a reason if they were only built to go 45 they would have set the gov at 2000 not 2600.it seems to me the harder i run mine the better mpg it get i think the higher egt helps burn the fuel more completely.isnt that why the engine is so high of a compression ratio too work with the multi fuel design. maybe running them at low rpms is worse for them,there is a tm about what to do if the engine is smoking and running rough it says to drive it at high rpms for several miles:)

yes we used to do that with some cars they get lugged to much and carbon builds up on them we would do a tune up and run them at about 4 thousand for a couple miles . there was an additive called carbon x i think it helped to i might just buy an m35a3 and start with that i found one with hyd winch and 7000 miles for 12500 do you think thats a good price?

tm america

i cant even imagine running a deuce with 11.00s at 45 in high gear you must be lugging the heck out of it be carefull you can throw a rod like that. if you are running those speeds in 4th why not just shift to 5th and take it up to around 55 as that would be around 2400rpm.top speed with 11.00s would be around 62 mph . lugging it is as bad if not worse on the motor than high rpms are

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i could buy a 6x6 international but they dont have the articulation of a deuce and a good one is 50 grand
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a nice International for around $10k. They don't articulate but do run nice down the freeway.

I can appreciate all of you fine gentlemen who are very content to poke along at 45mph, and would never consider altering such a fine machine, but some of us need our long freeway runs to get where we are going.

operating range for the ltd 465 is 1500 to 2650 rpm and from what ive read on them max torque is at 1500 rpm. i know if you run a tractor at full rpm it wont last near as long as one at 3/4 im thinking its the same with the deuce . maximum crusing range is listed as max payload and 1500 rpm.and max payload and max towing load together is still 1500 rpm

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks