• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making Pioneer Tools For M35A2

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Job! I made mine the same way. I only had to cut the shovel handle down 2 3/4 " and did the same cuts on the axe. Turned out great and saved money! :beer:

saddamsnightmare

April 14th, 2012.

Bill Turner or Bob Turner's Surplus in New Boston, TX can set you up with all the correct pioneer rack tools you want for a fair price! What you may have adapted fits, but it might not be "right" as it is not NSN stock. Just pointing out the fact....:oops:

austinaubinoe

April 14th, 2012.

Bill Turner or Bob Turner's Surplus in New Boston, TX can set you up with all the correct pioneer rack tools you want for a fair price! What you may have adapted fits, but it might not be "right" as it is not NSN stock. Just pointing out the fact....:oops:

Hey Im really looking hard for a set of pioneer tools for my 53. I searched for bob turner surplus and got nothing on the google machine. Do you have a phone number, or a website?

Thanks!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said before, I've seen the current shovels with the same NSN as the originals - they are about 2.5 inches too long because they switched from a true "D" handle to a 'tulip' type handle, which made it longer. Of course, current GI's are a couple of inches taller that the ones the shovel was originally designed for too.

123mack

When I was in the army, I very rarely saw tools painted, so I don't bother to paint mine. I suppose it varied according to the commanding officer. After all they were only shovels axes or picks.

WyColo Deuce

I have been searching for tool sets and decided to improvise. I found a garden tool sale at the local hardware store and went shopping. Every tool was $10 or less.
1)...The Pick Mattock did not need to be modified just painted. It has a plastic crown on the handle, which I found to be no big deal, but it can be replaced with a full wooden handle in the future.
2)...Standard axe handles are a bit long and will not allow the shovel to sit down properly in the tool rack so it had to be shortened 1-3/4" You can see the cuts I made in the pic below.
3)...Every one knows that a standard shovel is too long and will never fit in the rack as is. The handle on the shovel had to be shortened 4-3/4" then I had to reshape the shaft to accept the grip back onto it. I drilled new holes in the shaft and re-pinned the grip to the shaft....... Refer to pic below.
4)...Then I prepped and painted everything. [thumbzup]
Thank you for this information. This thread and the one below from "CGarbee" are very helpful. I just made my set and am getting ready for paint in the next coming weeks.
Pictures to follow...