• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Making yourown silicone gaskets and o-rings for the 5ton

acme66

I started this in part because I am both curious and stubborn with a firm belief that given enough study, experience and testing I can figure out how to accomplish most anything. I was having an issue with a rim. It was rusted and had some pits but overall I kept feeling that the real reason I could not get it to seal was the o-rings were simply too small. I wanted something thicker and wider, a silicone belt rather than a ring. I was looking into custom o-rings when I found an instructables from a man who was making his own. One look and I knew I could do that. Hand casting your own o-ring isn't about saving time or money. They are cheaper by half but then it takes 9 days to cast them. I am simply putting this out for those that get a kick out of self sufficiency. I waited 2 months after making the rings before posting it here just to see how it works. A tire that lost 2-5psi a day from a ring leak has now been at 70psi for 60 plus days. Again not telling you to do it, but I figured knowing it can be done might interest some.

Ken

Casting the silicone ring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH0YQ125wpg

Changing out the tire to replace the o-ring. This also shows the emergency repair using a 20 inch bicycle inner tube that let us finish out the season and get the truck home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66qAHoNpZ7Q

plode

Want to pump in some more silicone into your mold and mail me the o-ring after it cures? I'll send you whatever it costs+labor.
I'm having the same issue...the small standard o-ring isn't thick enough and won't seal. It'll hold 21psi, anything over that and it leaks out.

Ray70

Although a bit more pricey, I wonder if HDPE or other plastic instead of particle board would eliminate the need for the glue and wax?
Definitely looks stronger than I had expected, good job!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont see why not they print plastic. When I do wheel o rings I use the thick ones and i use rtv in the ring channel and around the bolt area. Done like that they shouldnt leak.

acme66

"Although a bit more pricey, I wonder if HDPE or other plastic instead of particle board would eliminate the need for the glue and wax?"

I am sure you are right. I think just using real MDF (like I mistakenly identified this crap in the video as MDF) that would help. I would use the wax anyways because silicone will stick hard to just about anything else. My router bits are from harbor freight so that is also an issue I am sure. A CNC shop could make a clean perfect circle any size you wanted cheap. I admit when I started this I had almost no faith it would work. When I popped it out of the mold and my young son could hang on it without breakage my tune started to change.

Ken

Ray70

Yup, they can! There is a company here in RI that prints in all sorts of plastics of all durometers. Probably not silicone, but definitely other compounds that would work equally well if not better. They can even vary the component ratios "on the fly" so that you can print a part with defined areas of varying hardness, like a membrane keyboard overlay. I went to a seminar put on by them about 2 months ago, it was pretty impressive how far 3D printing technology has come.

frioman

Thanks for the update. I saw your YouTube video on this some time ago and I was wondering how it held up. I have a request...IF you happen to change your belts, please consider making a detailed how-to video for idiots. Thanks. I have a M923-A1 with the NHC250.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I started this in part because I am both curious and stubborn with a firm belief that given enough study, experience and testing I can figure out how to accomplish most anything. ...................... Again not telling you to do it, but I figured knowing it can be done might interest some.Ken
That is right up there with Fantastic

Now...........can you make zipper boots for my Deuce that last?
I have searched all over and according to the number of zipper boots sold by all sources there is enough out there in the last two years to do every Deuce three times. Means they are all junk
Can you do something about that? We pay good for good stuff $

i.e. my silicon diving mask sits in the sun, takes all kinds of abrasive abuse and hold up year after year!

Last edited:

jarhead1086

Protolabs has been good to work with on the metal side. They also do plastic and silicone rubber parts. They would be good to get a quote from. I like what Acme66 did here though. Like Teddy Roosevelt said, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Good thinking.

theanimal

All of my wheels lose air so I was going to go this route and cast some of these bands. However, it would be a bit easier if I knew the dimensions before I started the mold. Outer / inner diameter and thickness should be sufficient. Thanks for the idea and write up