• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MAN KAT US owners?

Reed423

Ok so I have put the title transfer off for a little while. So I can work on my disguise(and sob story) and until I address more pressing issues. I hired a heavy duty tire/wheel service company near me to come out and put on these new wheels/tubes and flaps properly. Ima going tell you, if thought I was going to do these alone with my regular tools, I was very wrong. Apparently it helps to have a truck mounted crane with outriggers, handheld hydraulic tire seal breakers, or whatever they are called. The first tire was so frozen to the wheel, that at one point they had 3 of those tire presses on the hub at one time to break the seal. After about two hours the first one was a success! Seven more to go, and likely $2000 later.
Next major issue is raising the cab. It’s safe to assume that every air and hydraulic line is absolutely damaged or compromised. So no hand pumping, no engine cranking, no nothing. I disconnected the three bolts holding the cab saddle locks on each side, and removed the bolt holding the bottom side of each shock absorber, so there is no mechanical connection. I then used a 12 volt stand alone hydraulic pump and connected the lines directly to the hydraulic cylinder running horizontal on the passenger side, and used the pendant to try and raise the cab. Nothing happened after I flooded the cylinder, no movement. I think that was the wrong cylinder. Can anyone please advise me on how to raise the cab manually, assuming all hydraulic lines are damaged. A mechanical hand/gear crank would have been so much better than all this over built hardware. Better for a combat situation to be sure. I took a screenshot from a maintainence video I saw online, I think I shows the correct lift cylinder. Maybe if I connect the portable pump to that one it will raise up.

Attachments

Tony M2H

Frank,

May need to get my son to help with this. The parts manual is 50+ MEG. I got all the other 4 books sent, had to reduce on. But even after reducing the parts book, it was tooooooo large. Maybe I can split the book! Will try that now.
Hello, we own 2 MAN KAT 1 7 T that we had refurbished in Netherlands and we put a mobile Medical unit on each one and we use them in Africa. We are looking for vendors to purchase parts from (In USA if possible) and also need the parts and operators manuals if anyone has them. I have seen other posts about people emailing or downloading them. Who can I contact to get help with sourcing the manuals and the parts?

Attached is a picture of our two units in Africa. We are a non profit from USA but our trucks are now in Africa.

336862708_537021098540938_2619134864550344002_n.jpgMAN Plate.jpeg

Tony M2H

Hi guys, I know I'm late in joining this thread but seen as how it's not closed I will try. I am working for a transport and logistics company in the Central African Republic. We are using MAN Kat 1 (4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 trucks. We operate 84 units alongside some new Kamaz 8x8s. I'm looking to see if anyone can send me a link for any or all of the following in English language: driver manual, parts manual and workshop/service manual. These are all KAT 1. The vehicle data plates show that they were manufactured in 1977 and 1978.
Cheers
Did you ever receive any manuals? We have 2 MAN Kats in Africa now also that we need manuals for and a place to source parts either in Africa or USA.

Migginsbros

I have the TDv (TM) and I thing the spareparts book. I try to upload them here, but I think they are to big. Perhaps I can attach to an email account.??? :)
Only in German availlable .

Reed423

Well I have made some progress on “ole Tanker 42”. I finally got my new tires put on, and lemme tell ya that was a serious operation! Took the tire shop a month to complete, they would take two wheels at a time with their crane truck to the shop. The tires were so sealed to the wheel they had to use 3 hydraulic seal breakers to get them to come loose. Each wheel needed new tubes and flaps, cost a small fortune, but it was worth it because these shoes look good on the beast.

Now its decision time on the power pack, what stays, what goes, and what’s possible. I’m gonna need advise from you guys and I’m gonna need some parts from Germany likely.

Hers the plan thus far, engine appears to be in decent shape, at least all the parts not exposed to the direct weather. All electrical junction boxes are still covered and intact. Pretty much every hydraulic hose is toast, wire looms are badly desinigrated but actual wire shielding is still intact around the wires themselves. Transmission (ZF-WSK 400) looks like it was lobotomized.

My initial thoughts are:
- I would like to keep the engine if it runs, mainly because there appears to be a lot of subsystems that were designed to go with it.
- I would like to add a turbocharger system to the engine “if it’s possible” there is a Man marine engine that shares the same number designation (D2840)
-I would like to ditch the transmission if possible, it’s in bad shape and I’ve really got used to the automatic Allison trans in my lmtv. ten speed manual sounds like a nightmare voyage back in time. So two possible solutions come to mind for this, replace the trans with another ZF transmission “that’s an automatic”. Which transmission would be a good replacement? where would/can I get one of these transmissions? Germany? The other idea I had is to drop a reman Hemtt HT740D Allison transmission In its place. Plan there would be to hack up the old transmission and use parts from it to marry the new Allison trans to the 8x8 driveshaft which happens to run in both diametrically opposite directions. It should be doable. I’d like to know you guys’ thoughts on this.

edit- I do have the parts that were removed from the transmission, or at least i think I have them all, it looks like what was removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I have made some progress on “ole Tanker 42”. I finally got my new tires put on, and lemme tell ya that was a serious operation! Took the tire shop a month to complete, they would take two wheels at a time with their crane truck to the shop. The tires were so sealed to the wheel they had to use 3 hydraulic seal breakers to get them to come loose. Each wheel needed new tubes and flaps, cost a small fortune, but it was worth it because these shoes look good on the beast.

Now its decision time on the power pack, what stays, what goes, and what’s possible. I’m gonna need advise from you guys and I’m gonna need some parts from Germany likely.

Hers the plan thus far, engine appears to be in decent shape, at least all the parts not exposed to the direct weather. All electrical junction boxes are still covered and intact. Pretty much every hydraulic hose is toast, wire looms are badly desinigrated but actual wire shielding is still intact around the wires themselves. Transmission (ZF-WSK 400) looks like it was lobotomized.

My initial thoughts are:
- I would like to keep the engine if it runs, mainly because there appears to be a lot of subsystems that were designed to go with it.
- I would like to add a turbocharger system to the engine “if it’s possible” there is a Man marine engine that shares the same number designation (D2840)
-I would like to ditch the transmission if possible, it’s in bad shape and I’ve really got used to the automatic Allison trans in my lmtv. ten speed manual sounds like a nightmare voyage back in time. So two possible solutions come to mind for this, replace the trans with another ZF transmission “that’s an automatic”. Which transmission would be a good replacement? where would/can I get one of these transmissions? Germany? The other idea I had is to drop a reman Hemtt HT740D Allison transmission In its place. Plan there would be to hack up the old transmission and use parts from it to marry the new Allison trans to the 8x8 driveshaft which happens to run in both diametrically opposite directions. It should be doable. I’d like to know you guys’ thoughts on this.

edit- I do have the parts that were removed from the transmission, or at least i think I have them all, it looks like what was removed.
Might be that @simp5782 could make suggestions about the transmission. He has done quite a few builds that replace parts to improve performance...

Neat looking truck.
Almost a one of a kind sort of thing.

Reed423

HD740s are cheap, abundant and reliable option. I've got a few Remans in the can
The ZF-WSK400 is over complicated, damaged, and has way to many manual gears. I think one of the hd470s would work for this application. What else is needed to operate the transmission? A selector keypad, wire harness and controller? Is the torque converter built into the the fronts side of the transmission? So all I would need to do is to weld up some new transmission mounts and fabricated a couple or for the engine/trans union

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The ZF-WSK400 is over complicated, damaged, and has way to many manual gears. I think one of the hd470s would work for this application. What else is needed to operate the transmission? A selector keypad, wire harness and controller? Is the torque converter built into the the fronts side of the transmission? So all I would need to do is to weld up some new transmission mounts and fabricated a couple or for the engine/trans union
Transmission is manual shift 4spd. No controller. No computer. Just a modulator cable which is easily found and a tower shifter.

Torque converter is in the transmission along with the flywheel teeth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks