• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mandatory Deuce tools

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One more "tool" that is a MUST, one or two plates to go UNDER the jack/jacks to keep it from sinking in the dirt ( flats/break downs dont always happen on pavement), I use two frame extensions, these are channel iron, the sides keep the below the jack plate from folding under load. any channel like a piece of bumper, ect. will work

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I read though all FOUR pages and did not see the most IMPORTANT tool needed as a deuce owner, A 5t WRECKER to recover the deuce and return to it the LZ or DEPOT for repair
Unless of course it is the wrecker that had trubble! ( just funning with ya)[thumbzup]

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
PB is a good man! And glad your still with us i was a pleasure meating you at the GA rally, hope to see you there this year.

jets1959

"4 six ton jack stands
Heavy-duty hydraulic bottle jack (at least 10 ton cap?)"

WHY?

Unless you are going to lift and balance an M35 on one stand with one jack, ok.

But a 3 ton jack and 3 ton jack stands are fine, and cheaper.

Just had this discussion on a CCKW forum. Guys had 20-50ton jacks.. I guess they wanted to brag about the size of their jacks? A CCKW ~= M35 for weight and a 3 ton jack is standard equipment.

Remember, you are only doing one corner (1/4th the GVW) at a time with a jack.

Save that $$$ for oil and diesel.
I may be wrong but I think a m35 is a 14000lb vehicle or seven tons. Jack stands are rated by pairs not each. So 3 ton jack stands and bottle jack would be well under the safety margin for this application. Four ton would be the minimum, but I don't know if they make four ton jack stands or bottle jacks.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be wrong but I think a m35 is a 14000lb vehicle or seven tons. Jack stands are rated by pairs not each. So 3 ton jack stands and bottle jack would be well under the safety margin for this application. Four ton would be the minimum, but I don't know if they make four ton jack stands or bottle jacks.
Our M35A2 without Winch weighs in at 13,500# fully fueled, but UNloaded.

A 3-Ton jack, properly positioned to lift one wheelset will be lifing much less than 1/4 of the vehicle weight since 5 of the 6 wheelsets are still on the ground. Worst case is raising one side of the front axle - but still FAR LESS than 1/4 of the vehicle's mass.

WRONG! - "Jack stands are rated by pairs not each." If this statement were true, then OSHA would be issuing fines at EVERY automotive shop in the nation for MISLABELING equipment capacities. ALL equipment is REQUIRED to be labeled with ITS OWN CAPACITY and sub-noted if there is a combined rating factor.
Under your assertion, a 3-Ton (6000#) jackstand could support ONLY 3000# - and would therefore be LABELED INCORRECTLY (Capacity OVERstated) for quick and SAFE use in a "single" application.

The above is NOT intended to be an argument. More than 1/2 of my engineering career included the Safety Director function and responsibilities in a Gray Iron Foundry. I am well acquainted with OSHA and their requirments in this area.

Respectfully,
John

Last edited:

Odyssey M

As far as tools--Don't forget the stanchion spreader with 3/4" rotator sleeves.

BTW, IRT jack stands and load capacities--what would be the load capacity of pressure treated 4x4 blocks? These work well for me...

jets1959

Our M35A2 without Winch weighs in at 13,500# fully fueled, but UNloaded.

A 3-Ton jack, properly positioned to lift one wheelset will be lifing much less than 1/4 of the vehicle weight since 5 of the 6 wheelsets are still on the ground. Worst case is raising one side of the front axle - but still FAR LESS than 1/4 of the vehicle's mass.

WRONG! - "Jack stands are rated by pairs not each." If this statement were true, then OSHA would be issuing fines at EVERY automotive shop in the nation for MISLABELING equipment capacities. ALL equipment is REQUIRED to be labeled with ITS OWN CAPACITY and sub-noted if there is a combined rating factor.
Under your assertion, a 3-Ton (6000#) jackstand could support ONLY 3000# - and would therefore be LABELED INCORRECTLY (Capacity OVERstated) for quick and SAFE use in a "single" application.

The above is NOT intended to be an argument. More than 1/2 of my engineering career included the Safety Director function and responsibilities in a Gray Iron Foundry. I am well acquainted with OSHA and their requirments in this area.

Respectfully,
John
I am not taking this as an argument, look at the box the next time you are in a store selling jack stands it is there. They are rated by the pair. Still saying I may still be wrong. Respectfully Dwayne

Last edited:

turbovr6jetta

I just want to comment on the fact that the smaller the rating, the smaller the stand. I have always bought the physically biggest ones I can find. You dont want a small stand set all the way in the air if you can help it. Mine are pretty big. And I bought them for working on volkswagens. Go big or go home

crazywelder72

i have 6 ton jackstands but my 2 ton hydraulic did just fine at lifting one front wheel the other day. This pic was before i got my Jackstands in place.

I know the stack up looks dangerous but was rock solid. When you take your time, things always go smoothly. It helps to have random chunks of large metal around.

Attachments

jets1959

Go to Sears | In-Store & Online Shopping: Appliances, Clothing & More search four ton jack stands. In the description the pair is rated for 8000 pounds and in the picture 4 tons can be clearly seen cast into the riser. Jack stands are designed to be used in pairs hence the pair rating. My goal here is not to prove who is right or wrong. I just don't want anyone getting injured or killed by inadvertently using under rated jack stands. What has gotten past Murphy a hundred times may not make a hundred and one. All my fellow steel soldiers have value to me and I want them to be safe.

Last edited:

jets1959

I have googled jack stand ratings and some of the very large jack stand manufactures do rate theirs as each, but most people here are not going to use 22 ton jack stands. They are going to buy their jack stands at hf, the local auto part store, or local department store. These places sell jack stands by the pair and are rated that way. Still trying to keep this friendly and would rather be wrong then someone be come injured!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks